Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GOP Civil War: Frank Luntz Lashes Out At Right-Wing Talk Radio

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM
  • 14 Replies

GOP Civil War: Frank Luntz Lashes Out At Right-Wing Talk Radio

Blog ››› ››› MATT GERTZ

In the latest salvo in a Republican Party civil war that shows no signs of stopping, CBS political analyst and GOP consultant Frank Luntz criticized Rush Limbaugh, Mark Levin, and others in right-wing talk radio for attacking Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) over his support for immigration reform.  

Luntz's comments came during an April 22 talk at the University of Pennsylvania.  According to Mother Jones, Luntz asked to go off the record after being questioned about political polarization because he was concerned his comments could have repercussions. One of the students in the audience then started to record Luntz without the consultant's knowledge.

In that video, Luntz says:

And they get great ratings, and they drive the message, and it's really problematic. And this is not on the Democratic side. It's only on the Republican side...[inaudible]. [Democrats have] got every other source of news on their side. And so that is a lot of what's driving it. If you take -- Marco Rubio's getting his ass kicked. Who's my Rubio fan here? We talked about it. He's getting destroyed! By Mark Levin, by Rush Limbaugh, and a few others. He's trying to find a legitimate, long-term effective solution to immigration that isn't the traditional Republican approach, and talk radio is killing him. That's what's causing this thing underneath. And too many politicians in Washington are playing coy.

Since the 2012 election, Republican media figures and activists have beenengaged in often intense debates over who to blame for the party's electoral failures and what the party's future direction should be. Luntz's comments provide more fuel for that fire.

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
susan115
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I do listen to the Rush show, when on lunch, love listening to Rush.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Luv when the Cafemom 2nd shift shows up.

I can get a full days serving of Mothers Jones, Think Progress and Addicting Info in 1/4 of the time.

Luv it!

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

So?  Luntz is entitled to his opinion.  It doesn't mean all of the republicans agree with it.  He's much better when he shows his opinion poll groups on Hannity.  Those are interesting.  What  he says off camera, and is snagged on a cell phone by some one from Mother Jones, isn't exactly news worthy.

jcrew6
by Jenney on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not seeing a civil war.  OP, do you seriously believe the shit you post? 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Believe it or not, it is a very good thing to be able to have differences of opinion amongst those in a particular ideology. Conservatives and libertarians can do that, but liberals can't. 

Among liberals, it is highly discouraged and even dangerous to hold an opinion other than the liberal party line. Dissent is not allowed - not if you value your job, your reputation and that of your family, and your social life. You best not disagree or think for yourself. I, personally, don't like being told what to do.  Talk about dysfunctional authoritarian parents on the left! That would drive me nuts. Don't understand why libs put up with it, when their party don't care about them as individuals - only as reliable votes.

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:50 PM
This is an...interesting...generalization. What makes you say this? I don't think I've ever met two people of any party affiliation who hold exactly the same viewpoints.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Believe it or not, it is a very good thing to be able to have differences of opinion amongst those in a particular ideology. Conservatives and libertarians can do that, but liberals can't. 

Among liberals, it is highly discouraged and even dangerous to hold an opinion other than the liberal party line. Dissent is not allowed - not if you value your job, your reputation and that of your family, and your social life. You best not disagree or think for yourself. I, personally, don't like being told what to do.  Talk about dysfunctional authoritarian parents on the left! That would drive me nuts. Don't understand why libs put up with it, when their party don't care about them as individuals - only as reliable votes.

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:53 AM

The sad thing is, she really does believe it.

Quoting jcrew6:

grandma B

shannonnigans
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:02 PM
The party is not fragmented?

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting jcrew6:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Republicans don't march in lock step as the dems do.  When it gets down to the wire, they join forces.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting jcrew6:

grandma B

shannonnigans
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Until recently I would have agreed with you 100%. It was a well-oiled machine. Of late, I could not disagree with you more.

Quoting grandmab125:

Republicans don't march in lock step as the dems do.  When it gets down to the wire, they join forces.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting jcrew6:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)