Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Wow. Anyone else unimpressed with Obama's Leadership?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM
  • 33 Replies

Remember When....

President Barack Obama warned in December that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad would face "consequences" if he used any chemical weapons.

(CNN) -- The United States has evidence that the chemical weapon sarin has been used in Syria on a small scale, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Thursday.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/25/world/meast/syria-civil-war/index.html

http://rt.com/usa/defense-used-chemical-weapons-401/

Meanwhile........

Britain, France, Qatar and the Israel Defense Forces have also said in recent days that Israeli intelligence has led them to believe Assad has used chemical weapons.

AFP - David Cameron said on Friday that growing evidence of the use of chemical weapons by the Syrian regime was "extremely serious".

http://www.france24.com/en/20130426-cameron-says-syria-chemical-weapons-evidence-serious

'Growing evidence' of chemical weapons use in Syria 

There is "limited but growing" evidence that Syrian government troops have used chemical weapons, UK Prime Minister David Cameron says.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22305444

What are our Congressmen hearing/saying? 

"Some members of Congress were told last week that the United States had evidence that Syrians were killed using the chemical sarin, according to sources familiar with the briefings.

The Senate and House intelligence committees were briefed by administration officials on the threat in Syria as recently as last week, and several sources familiar with the briefing say lawmakers were told that three people died from sarin poisoning."

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/syria-chemical-weapons-red-line-crossed-senators-90640.html#ixzz2Ra6smHiA

So, what does our wobbly President and his admin say?  

President Obama:  "Red line has not been crossed"
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57581556/white-house-obamas-red-line-not-crossed-on-syria-chemical-weapons/

Essentially voting "present" on his earlier proclamation.  Weak!

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
denise3680
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I am not for going to war in another country, period.  there are several neighboring countries there that can put an end to this regime but have not stepped int o do anything.  Why is it that noone likes America?  We are always trying to play God to everyone else.  We need to worry about our own and stop sending our troops to fight someone elses problems:/  I applaud him for not jumping into another war, no boots on the ground, if they need drones then send them and be done with it.

jcrew6
by Jenney on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I'm not sure I agree with this OpEd, but I think it's worth adding to the discussion:

Obama must act on Syria chemical weapons

(CNN) -- The Obama administration has confirmed what we have been hearing for months, that chemical weapons have been used in Syria by the regime of embattled President Bashar al-Assad.

Last August, Obama issued a stern warning to Assad. If he used chemical weapons, Obama said, even if he moved them in preparation for use, he would cross a "red line" that would have "enormous consequences." Before that, Obama had already declared that the regime would be "held accountable" if it made the "tragic mistake of using those weapons," a warning he repeated last month during a trip to the Middle East.

Obama has now come up against his own words and the stakes are enormous. The United States has a range of options, including several that do not include sending American forces into Syria.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/25/opinion/ghitis-syria-chemical/index.html

jcrew6
by Jenney on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM
2 moms liked this

War isn't the only answer.   It starts with firm leadership.  Not the weak and wobbly Pres. We currently have....  

Quoting denise3680:

I am not for going to war in another country, period.  there are several neighboring countries there that can put an end to this regime but have not stepped int o do anything.  Why is it that noone likes America?  We are always trying to play God to everyone else.  We need to worry about our own and stop sending our troops to fight someone elses problems:/  I applaud him for not jumping into another war, no boots on the ground, if they need drones then send them and be done with it.

denise3680
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Quoting jcrew6:

War isn't the only answer.   It starts with firm leadership.  Not the weak and wobbly Pres. We currently have....  

Quoting denise3680:

weak and wobbly about what?  If he says the line is crossed, then what?  We go to war?  Is that what you want?  Stiffer sanctions?  Not answer the phone if they call?  What is next?  The drums of war are beating in Congress, you know that, I know that everyone knows that.  It seems that people want to pressure him into saying, yes chemical weapons, now war.  I am sick of putting our noses into things that have nothing to do with us.  People want to cut foreign aide but have no problem starting another war in the same countries, hypocrisy at it's finest.  Firm leadership?  so is that the answer?  What does that entail? 

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:38 AM

OP, what, specifically, would you like the US response to be?

jcrew6
by Jenney on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Trade embargoes, sanctions and travel bans haven't worked. So some suggestions? For one, our leader needs to stand tall and make a statement. Not teeter-tooter on 'the red-line".  Then Boosting rebels with non lethal military supplies and additional intelligence support. No-fly zones, then ground forces... But our leader, who SPOKE of a red-line, should have stood firm on his word.  Instead, Obama is publically displaying his reluctance to act on his word.  Spineless. Not a leader. 

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

jcrew6
by Jenney on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Our so-called leader keeps moving and redefining the 'red-line"  

His weakness and lacking commitment to act on his word is showing.  

But, he couldn't even call the Boston bombings terrorists for over 24 hours. Ad called the ft hood terror attack, "work place violence". . I guess we know what to expect.  Our nation deserves better.  And when the President can't own his words on foreign affairs, he makes us look weak.  

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting denise3680:

weak and wobbly about what?  If he says the line is crossed, then what?  We go to war?  Is that what you want?  Stiffer sanctions?  Not answer the phone if they call?  What is next?  The drums of war are beating in Congress, you know that, I know that everyone knows that.  It seems that people want to pressure him into saying, yes chemical weapons, now war.  I am sick of putting our noses into things that have nothing to do with us.  People want to cut foreign aide but have no problem starting another war in the same countries, hypocrisy at it's finest.  Firm leadership?  so is that the answer?  What does that entail? 

joey125
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Proceed with caution, we should NOT go into war so  quickly, have we not learned anything since Iraq  Acting quickly by going to war does not make a person spineless it makes him sensible.  

jcrew6
by Jenney on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Obama opened his mouth and spoke of consequences if Syria used chemical weapons.   What are the consequences?  A firm and serious look of disapproval from Obama? 

Quoting joey125:

Proceed with caution, we should NOT go into war so  quickly, have we not learned anything since Iraq  Acting quickly by going to war does not make a person spineless it makes him sensible.  

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

What did Barack say that the consequences would be?

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN