Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our Founding Fathers Believed in Freedom of Religion

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:52 PM
  • 74 Replies
1 mom liked this

So why don't Republicans/Conservatives?

“We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren’t punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That’s war. And this is war.” Ann Coulter

“The ‘wall of separation between church and state’ is a metaphor based on bad history, a metaphor which has proved useless as a guide to judging. It should be frankly and explicitly abandoned.” William Rehnquist

“Go back to what our founders and our founding documents meant — they’re quite clear — that we would create law based on the God of the bible and the Ten Commandments.” – Sarah Palin

“I don’t know that atheists should be considered citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.” George H. W. Bush

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a conservative. Tell me how I don't believe in freedom of religion.
blues_pagan
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Do you agree that our nation should be "One Nation Under God"?

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

I'm a conservative. Tell me how I don't believe in freedom of religion.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I believe that you have a right to believe or not to believe in God. Who you choose to worship is your business, not mine.

As for those quotes, the only one that I agree with is Justice Renquist.
blues_pagan
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM

The Wall of Seperation was penned by Thomas Jefferson in a letter to a Conneticut church.  How is it just a bad metaphor?

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

I believe that you have a right to believe or not to believe in God. Who you choose to worship is your business, not mine.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM
4 moms liked this
It's not in the Constitution. Only became part of the law of the land because of Case Law in the 1800s.

If the founding fathers wanted a so called separation of church and state as we now know it, don't you think they would have made that explicitly clear when they were penning the Constitution? The Constitution is not vague, it's pretty clear.

I believe that Freedom of Religion means that there is to be no State sponsored religion, as it was at the time in Europe, specifically England.

Quoting blues_pagan:

The Wall of Seperation was penned by Thomas Jefferson in a letter to a Conneticut church.  How is it just a bad metaphor?

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

delilahsmom1177
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I don't understand why anyone would want their country ruled by one faith. 

I'm tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

LucyMom08
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this
The American Taliban...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blues_pagan
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM

If that portion of the Consitution means that then why not just say it that way?  The wall of seperation was much more than state sponsored religion, it was also about our tax dollars going to fund churches,   Jefferson penned the letter to promote religious liberty, to end sectarious religious preferences in law and to stop government from promoting one denomination and religion over the man others (among other reasons).  

If you look at the religious right they stand against all that Jefferson stood for as well as what many of our founding fathers stood for.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

It's not in the Constitution. Only became part of the law of the land because of Case Law in the 1800s.

If the founding fathers wanted a so called separation of church and state as we now know it, don't you think they would have made that explicitly clear when they were penning the Constitution? The Constitution is not vague, it's pretty clear.

I believe that Freedom of Religion means that there is to be no State sponsored religion, as it was at the time in Europe, specifically England.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

tooptimistic
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 4:47 PM
3 moms liked this

Why do people get so upset with this?  There isn't a Church of America.  There was a time if you weren't Church of England you were beheaded.  We have freedom of religion, so there is nothing to get upset about.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Apr. 26, 2013 at 4:51 PM
2 moms liked this
Its not just Republicans and Conservatives that push their religion on others. We do need to learn to seperate religion and politics, but I doubt it will ever happen.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)