Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Phoenix Mayor Attempts To Live On A Food Stamp Budget: ‘I’m Tired, And It’s Hard To Focus’

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM
  • 108 Replies
1 mom liked this

When local activist groups challenged Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton to live on a food stamp budget for a week to mark Hunger Awareness Month, he took them up on the offer and found out just how hard it was. Stanton kept a diary on the challenge, which allotted him roughly $29 a week, the same amount 1.1 million Arizonans receive from the Supplemental Assistance Nutrition Program (SNAP) each week.

By day four, Stanton noted that he was “tired” and “it’s hard to focus” after leaving the house for work without time to scramble eggs or eat a decent breakfast:

OK- ran out the door today with no time to scramble eggs or even make a sandwich. So I’m surviving on an apple and handful of peanuts, and the coffee I took to the office until dinner. I’m tired, and it’s hard to focus. I can’t go buy a sandwich because that would be cheating- even the dollar menu at Taco Bell is cheating. You can’t use SNAP benefits at any restaurants, fast food or otherwise. I’m facing a long, hungry day and an even longer night getting dinner on the table, which requires making EVERYTHING from scratch on this budget. It’s only for a week, so I’ve got a decent attitude. If I were doing this with no end in sight, I probably wouldn’t be so pleasant.

According to Stanton’s Facebook page, the city he governs ranks 34th-worst among America’s 100 largest metro areas in terms of hunger, and one-in-four Arizona children are food insecure. Across the nation, there are more than 46 million people receiving SNAP benefits.

Despite the challenges presented by poverty and hunger, Republicans have proposed cuts to the programs that help struggling families afford food. The House GOP budget could kick millions out of SNAP and hundreds of thousands of children out of school lunch programs, exacerbating the high rates of food insecurity America’s families are already facing.

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gludwig2000
by Gina on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:05 PM
13 moms liked this

Look, I know that some people abuse the system and use their food stamps for inappropriate items, but America is too rich in resources for ANY American to go hungry. I don't know what the solution is and no one will change my mind, but America is better than her people going hungry. We aren't a third world country.

paknari
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM
4 moms liked this
My cousin gets almost $600 in Phoenix for fs for her and 3 kids. I don't see how that's not enough. Also, get up earlier and make breakfast or do what info and make it the day before and throw it in the microwave. Not that complicated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcrew6
by Jenney on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Americans going hungry? Have you seen the obesity rate of Americans in poverty?  There is an obvious link.  

Second, as the rate of Americans dependent on government aid increases and the number of Americans on the workforce decreases, who pays for Americans in food stamps? 

Quoting gludwig2000:

Look, I know that some people abuse the system and use their food stamps for inappropriate items, but America is too rich in resources for ANY American to go hungry. I don't know what the solution is and no one will change my mind, but America is better than her people going hungry. We aren't a third world country.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:03 PM
2 moms liked this
I said that I didn't have a solution, but part of the obesity problem lays in the fact that cheaper food is often the food that is highest in fat, sodium and preservatives, at least I think so. And as far as Americans paying, I would rather my taxes go to feed other Americans than for the funds to be sent over seas, or to be wasted on programs like portraits for the White House, studying a ducks sex life, etc, etc. Again, I don't have the solutions but I know something can be done without our most needy suffering for it. Not everyone on food stamps is a mooch, obese or lazy. Some are older people living off of SS, most are children.
Quoting jcrew6:

Americans going hungry? Have you seen the obesity rate of Americans in poverty?  There is an obvious link.  

Second, as the rate of Americans dependent on government aid increases and the number of Americans on the workforce decreases, who pays for Americans in food stamps? 

Quoting gludwig2000:

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:38 PM
6 moms liked this

"OK- ran out the door today with no time to scramble eggs or even make a sandwich. So I’m surviving on an apple and handful of peanuts, and the coffee I took to the office until dinner. I’m tired, and it’s hard to focus. I can’t go buy a sandwich because that would be cheating- even the dollar menu at Taco Bell is cheating. You can’t use SNAP benefits at any restaurants, fast food or otherwise. I’m facing a long, hungry day and an even longer night getting dinner on the table, which requires making EVERYTHING from scratch on this budget. It’s only for a week, so I’ve got a decent attitude. If I were doing this with no end in sight, I probably wouldn’t be so pleasant."

It's called..."grocery shopping" getting up and making a fucking lunch..the old fashioned term was "brown bagging it"..and if you want scrambled eggs get up early enough to fucking make them yourself.

I'm not saying $29 a week is enough..or even alot. But to bitch about making dinner from scratch just makes him sound like a pompous privileged ass.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:46 PM
6 moms liked this

Where the hell did his $29 amount come from?

The whole idea of food stamps is to SUBSIDIZE, one's food bill..not completely pay for it.

That's what's been lost with our welfare system..Food stamps are supposed to be a supplement to fund one's grocery bill...the idea is that the recipient is working but not enough to make ends meet, this is supposed to adjunct that..not completely supply it.

$600 just for food?? That's quite alot..you know how far that goes when one cooks "from scratch"...?

His comments were just elitist...

Quoting paknari:

My cousin gets almost $600 in Phoenix for fs for her and 3 kids. I don't see how that's not enough. Also, get up earlier and make breakfast or do what info and make it the day before and throw it in the microwave. Not that complicated.

smiley: Yah - keystrokes: bitch

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this

way to go And by the way, I love your "bitch" thingie.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

The whole idea of food stamps is to SUBSIDIZE, one's food bill..not completely pay for it.

That's what's been lost with our welfare system..Food stamps are supposed to be a supplement to fund one's grocery bill...the idea is that the recipient is working but not enough to make ends meet, this is supposed to adjunct that..not completely supply it.

$600 just for food?? That's quite alot..you know how far that goes when one cooks "from scratch"...?

Quoting paknari:

grandma B

paknari
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Honestly if they were to lower the amount for families like my cousin they wouldn't be leaving the jobless people with no children on the street. Have a granola bar or something for breakfet and pack your lunch. Buy on sale and grocery shop once a week. And you can afford quick food as well.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting paknari:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:28 AM
2 moms liked this

This article is a joke.

To begin with, the DOA keeps lowering the requirements for being on food stamps, ergo the number of people has risen from about 28M in 2008 to 48M in 2012.  They spend our money advertising to every group imaginable, to get them to apply for food stamps.  They even spend money on pamphlets the Mexican gov't distributes telling immigrants, legal and illegal, how to get on food stamps through their embassy and about 50 consulate offices.  Judicial Watch just released a report with info they received the FOI,  DOA pamphlets given ou by the Mexican gov't telling illegal immigrants they can get on food stamps, even though it's against the law:

The promotion of the food stamp program, now known as “SNAP” (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), includes a Spanish-language flyer provided to the Mexican Embassy by the USDA with a statement advising Mexicans in the U.S. that they do not need to declare their immigration status in order to receive financial assistance.  Emphasized in bold and underlined, the statement reads, “You need not divulge information regarding your immigration status in seeking this benefit for your children.”

The same push exists in the free lunch and breakfast programs.  There are many, many schools that give out free meals without requiring any inability on the parents' part to feed their kids.  Hey everybody qualifies.

If the states were given block grants, instead of being paid by the gov't for every food stamp and free school meal they handed out, they would be setting strict guidelines for qualification.

Just like welfare, food stamps were never supposed to be something to live on.  They were meant to be a supplement.  But just like welfare and other public assistance programs, the gov't has totally mismanaged the whole thing.  And the more people dependent on the gov't, the more votes for the dems.

That was what was behind Johnson's great society bs and the Civil Rights Act.  Johnson was even taped saying when he was trying to get the CRA passed, that if it was passed, "I'll have those niggers voting Democratic for the next 20 years".

grandma B

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Agreed.
Here's this for a thought... Use a coupon idiot!
This idiot just out another check in the 'politicians are morons column"

Quoting paknari:

Honestly if they were to lower the amount for families like my cousin they wouldn't be leaving the jobless people with no children on the street. Have a granola bar or something for breakfet and pack your lunch. Buy on sale and grocery shop once a week. And you can afford quick food as well.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting paknari:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)