Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

POLITICO: Obama's hubris problem

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:14 PM
  • 16 Replies

Barack Obama is pictured. | Reuters photo

The author says the president is giving off a 'L'état, c'est moi,' vibe. | Reuters

Tuesday morning, a peculiar announcement trickled out of the White House press office: President Barack Obama would be holding a moment of silence for the victims of the Boston bombings. At the White House. By himself. No press or other intruders allowed.

Except the White House photographer.

That Obama assumed Americans would want an iconic photo of him privately mourning the victims of the bombings was emblematic of a kind of hubris that has enveloped the president and his White House as the president commences his second term.

Hubris in a leader is an obnoxious thing, leading to imperiousness in governing. And it’s also a dangerous thing for a second-term president, often spelling trouble.

Unfortunately, this president’s acts of high handedness and self-absorption have been accumulating in the past several months at a blistering pace.

Even as the nation’s workers wilted under a struggling economy and high unemployment, Obama decided to take two round excursions to Hawaii at taxpayer expense over the Christmas and New Year’s holidays. Just six weeks later, he jetted down to Florida for a luxury four-day golf vacation where he played with Tiger Woods. Meanwhile Michelle Obama also took another vacation, skiing in Colorado.

Even as the sequester began to force those who work for him in the federal government to take furloughs and government services were scaled back – including, famously, the White House tours – Obama stepped up his golf, roaring out of the White House in his motorcade three Saturdays in a row for the 50-minute round trip drive to the Joint Base Andrews course.

In a true Marie Antoinette moment, Obama offered to pare back his pay by five percent as a show of empathy for those being furloughed. At annual salary of $400,000, that would force him to get by on a meager $380,000, in addition to a couple of hundred thousand extra dollars he can probably expect to make this year from book sales.

He had Memphis soul music legends throw a command performance for himself and the first lady in the East Room. He commended California’s attorney general for being the hottest of all the state AGs. He gave himself an exclusive viewing in the White House theater of the Jackie Robinson biopic, “42.”

On Saturday night, he’ll be partying with journalists and their celebrity guests at the annual White House Correspondents’ Association bash.

All while the nation continues to suffer under his stewardship of the economy.

When gun legislation he backed failed to pass last week, he threw an epic hissy fit in the Rose Garden, proclaiming his opponents liars who thought “it wasn’t worth it” to protect kids from gun violence.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/obamas-hubris-problem-90650.html?ml=po_r

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:19 PM
I read this yesterday. Great article!

Hmmm, wonder if next he'll sell copies of the picture and donate the money to the victims? Nah!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Nope - he will hand out the photos at his next public appearance... and plan that next golf outing.

My bro-in-law says that you "golf", you don't "play golf." Maybe so - but Obama definitely plays golf, in the same way that he plays basketball. (The weird thing is, if any other president was not that good in a sport, they would NEVER play it (or try to play it) in public. NBA Commissioner David Stern slammed President Obama for having an inflated sense of his abilities on the court . Stern, a loyal Democrat, said Obama is just "not that good."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2012/10/26/david-stern-obama-not-that-good-at-basketball/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2223906/Obamas-good-thinks-NBA-Commissioner-says-Presidents-basketball-skills-lackluster-best.html

Quoting DSamuels:

I read this yesterday. Great article!

Hmmm, wonder if next he'll sell copies of the picture and donate the money to the victims? Nah!

joey125
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Sally you really have too much hate in you, you must look on the brighter side lol

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Interesting allegation - but specious.

Do you know what the word "hate" means?

Do you know what the word "disagree" means? Please compare and contrast.

And finally, do you know what "hubris" means? Nope, not that stuff in soil. Nor is it that Middle Eastern dip you put on pita bread.

A class in remedial vocabulary might be helpful for you. No need to feel ashamed. All of us mix up some words some of the time. It's a good tool to help you better understand words some people confuse in our busy world. 

Quoting joey125:

Sally you really have too much hate in you, you must look on the brighter side lol

joey125
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Mirror mirror on the wall who is  the smartest of them all,it must be Sally since she needs to give lessons to others.  I read your responses and all I see is hate,  If that upsets you too bad.    

kcangel63
by Amanda on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:41 PM
2 moms liked this
I think a moment of silence completely alone would have been more appropriate than making it into an opportunity for a personal photo shoot.
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:31 PM

So I think you are saying that teachers, professors, parents, supervisors, more knowledgeable people are hateful toward their students, children, employees, less knowledgeable people.

And since your presumed meaning for hate is not what is in the dictionary, I suppose you must be right - even though the average 5 year old could tell you that you are wrong. Oops.

Really - look up words before you use them. You would be amazed what you can find out. For you it may seem at first seem like a foreign language - but hey - it's never too late to learn and do the right thing.

I applaud you for your efforts.

clapping

Quoting joey125:

Mirror mirror on the wall who is  the smartest of them all,it must be Sally since she needs to give lessons to others.  I read your responses and all I see is hate,  If that upsets you too bad.    

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM
3 moms liked this

What a fucking pompous self righteous ass.

If you're taking a moment of silence in solitude, then do it..In SOLITUDE..not with a fucking photographer.

He makes me sick.

smiley: Yah - keystrokes: bitch

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:30 AM

He just can't help it that he's an egotistical narcissist.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this
But then who would know he did it?

Quoting kcangel63:

I think a moment of silence completely alone would have been more appropriate than making it into an opportunity for a personal photo shoot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)