Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

50,000 Pounds Of Raw Milk Cheese Destroyed In Government Raid

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:18 PM
  • 41 Replies
Government intrusion into the lives of Americans who prefer raw milk and raw cheese led to the downfall of a family farm that had been in existence for decades. Recently the Missouri Milk Board forced the destruction of $250,000 worth of perfectly good raw cheese at the Morningland Dairy.

Amateur videos shot when representatives from the Missouri Milk Board came to essentially close down the farm, are very hard to watch. It is impossible not to feel overwhelming sympathy for the farming family who saw their livelihood being destroyed.

The entire debacle began in California in 2005. A group of undercover federal agents raided Rawsome Foods in Venice. The small grocery was a private food buying club where raw dairy products were sold. Apparently the powers that be in the federal government consider raw milk and raw cheese far more dangerous and unhealthy than the processed foods laden with artificial ingredients sold at supermarkets around the country.

Beginning in 1949, it has been illegal to sell cheese made from unpasteurized milk unless the cheese had been aged for a minimum of 60 days. The pathogens and bacteria which could be present on the cheese are supposed to no longer be present of harmful after the waiting period. Not all cheesemakers agree with the need for the 60-day waiting period, but the federal government has continually pushed their opinions and frequently voiced facts aside.

The Department of Agriculture feels that threat of E. coli, listeria, and salmonella are just too great to allow Americans the choice but natural raw milk and raw cheese. The Morningland Dairy has been fighting fallout from the Rawsome Foods raid for over five years. Federal agents confiscated thousands of dollars worth of raw milk cheese during the natural foods bust.

The owners of Morningland Dairy maintain that proper storage and transportation procedures were not followed when the raw milk cheese was removed from the California store, causing the food to spoil. After pouring over the lengthy federal guidelines and video footage from the Rawsome Foods raid, I firmly side with the farmers. There is currently no evidence contradicting claims by the Missouri dairy that the cheese was not moved in cooler or on a refrigerated truck. The cheese was then reportedly stores in crates at room-temperature and wasn’t tested until a week later.

As a result of the supposedly tainted cheese, the US Food and Drug Administration and the Missouri Milk Board ordered a total of 50,000 pounds of raw cheese at the Morningland Dairy destroyed. Yep, you read that right, raw artisan cheese that was not even present during the Rawsome Foods raid was also considered tainted.

The Missouri dairy farmer literally begged the FDS and milk board to test the cheese, and even offered to pay for the rather expensive sampling tests – but was denied the right to save his personal property, and ultimately his business. The requests were denied time and time again, and government agents ultimately arrived at the Morningland Dairy to levy the death blow on the 30-year family business. There had never been even one complaint filed against the Missouri dairy in three decades, and not a single illness report from a customer.

A note posted on the Morningland Dairy website reads:

“Please note: Due to unfair and dastardly undermining by the Missouri state authorities, Morningland Dairy has been forced to cease production, recall healthful products, and cease selling our present aged cheese.”

What do you think about the federal government raid on Rawsome Foods and the seizure of the raw milk cheese?

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2013/03/15/50000-pounds-of-raw-milk-cheese-destroyed-in-government-raid/
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcangel63
by Amanda on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Go to the link at the bottom to see the video.
kcangel63
by Amanda on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:20 PM
My husband called to Missouri Milk Board and the Sheriffs department in charge of this raid. They got to hear what he thought about the raid.
Aislinn
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

BUT, protect Monsanto, with everything they have! Assholes. I think it is absurd, to say the least.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I HATE Monsanto. >:(

We are ultra protective of raw cheese. We have a Mennonite farm we but raw cheese from. It is aged the 60 days. It is AMAZING, though. DH said if the gov raided that dairy, he'd be there to fight for their rights.

Quoting Aislinn:

BUT, protect Monsanto, with everything they have! Assholes. I think it is absurd, to say the least.

StephanieSH
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

My only issue would be if consuming raw cheese that hasn't been aged for 60 days leads to a public health crisis that taxpayers would have to pay for.  Otherwise, I don't care if people want to assume the risk of consuming raw dairy.  However, the government should have tested a sample first and I don't agree with confiscating private property in that manner.

Aislinn
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting StephanieSH:

My only issue would be if consuming raw cheese that hasn't been aged for 60 days leads to a public health crisis that taxpayers would have to pay for.  Otherwise, I don't care if people want to assume the risk of consuming raw dairy.  However, the government should have tested a sample first and I don't agree with confiscating private property in that manner.

The public health crisis being created by mega corporations is sooo much worse.. Dying from a Tomato? Stay away from sprouts? Cucumbers causing food poisoning? THESE are real issues. The amount of people damaged by companies like Monsanto far outweigh the small issues that could arise from improperly cured cheese. The government is nothing but a bunch of dirty, rotten hypocritical asses.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:57 PM
3 moms liked this
What it comes down to is money. The small farms are not a part of the corporations run by Big Bro. In turn, they take money out of their pockets with their superior real food. Start eating REAL ffod, you are no longer buying processed crap. You are healthier and no longer need the medications... run by Big Pharma/Big Brother.

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting StephanieSH:

The public health crisis being created by mega corporations is sooo much worse.. Dying from a Tomato? Stay away from sprouts? Cucumbers causing food poisoning? THESE are real issues. The amount of people damaged by companies like Monsanto far outweigh the small issues that could arise from improperly cured cheese. The government is nothing but a bunch of dirty, rotten hypocritical asses.

Aislinn
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Quoting kcangel63:

What it comes down to is money. The small farms are not a part of the corporations run by Big Bro. In turn, they take money out of their pockets with their superior real food. Start eating REAL ffod, you are no longer buying processed crap. You are healthier and no longer need the medications... run by Big Pharma/Big Brother.

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting StephanieSH:

Oh, don't go getting all factual on CM. lol And don't go using that common sense when it comes to our government...lol ;)

miss_maya
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Disgusting.  I don't buy for a second that "public safety" is the real concern in these types of cases, and there are far too many of them.  A gross misuse of power.

StephanieSH
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:58 PM

My family does stay away from processed foods as much as possible and eats whole foods.  We never eat fast food.  That being said, I don't believe that pasteurization is a bad type of "food processing".    Not everything associated with processing necessarily bad.  For example, some people have a problem with chemicals in water.  However, I much rather have some chemicals in my water than mass amounts of people dying form cholera.  I would not give my kids unpasteurized dairy or juice.  That's me.  Other people can do what they want.  People can make their own choices.   

Quoting kcangel63:

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting StephanieSH:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)