Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

POLICE: Liberal student activist threatened herself with rape in FACEBOOK hoax, framed conservatives

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 6:13 AM
  • 37 Replies

By Katherine Timpf, on May 01, 2013

A well-known female liberal blogger and radio host at the University of Wyoming (UW) is being accused by police of fabricating a rape threat against herself to appear as if it came from a conservative.

The obscene message directed at activist Meg Lanker-Simons was posted on a college “crush” Facebook page earlier this week and immediately ignited outrage from the college community.

“I want to hate f**k Meg Lanker-Simons so hard. That chick that runs her liberal mouth all the time and doesn’t care who knows it,” it read.  “I think its hot and it makes me angry. One night with me and shes gonna be a good Republican bitch,” the post reads, according to a screenshot.

PICTURE: A liberal student allegedly fabricated this Facebook threat against herself

Before the post was removed, Lanker-Simons commented on it and on her own blog, calling it “disgusting, misogynistic, and apparently something the admins of this page think is a perfectly acceptable sentiment.”

She also encouraged the poster to seek help at the UW Counseling service and ends with the advice:

“Instead of focusing on how angry and turned on me ‘running my mouth’ makes you, perhaps you should listen instead. You might learn something.”

But on Monday, The University of Wyoming Police Department issued a citation to Lanker-Simons for “interference” for “false statements she made to the UW Police Department,” according to a UW statement referred to by Laramie Boomerang Online.

"Subject admitted to making a controversial post on UW Crushes webpage and then lied about not doing it," according to the citation.

The University of Wyoming also confirmed a statement that the police had “"obtained substantial evidence verifying that the offending Facebook post came from Lanker-Simons' computer, while the computer was in her possession.”

According to a Facebook page that apparently belongs to Lanker-Simons she is a member of the University of Wyoming Gender & Women's Studies group as well as the school’s chapter of The Nonviolent Communist.

Since police cited her, supporters have a constructed a Facebook page entitled “Meg Lanker-Simons is innocent.”

“Meg Lanker-Simons is innocent we believe what she did was justified and deserves not to be held accountable for her accusations we stand behind you sister,” reads that page’s description.

by on May. 2, 2013 at 6:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 6:18 AM
1 mom liked this

The thing that is so funny about this is that the alleged threat sounds like what a liberal would say - not a conservative at all.

And the alleged "supporters" Facebook page also sounds like her. 

Good job, girl! And congratulations on your new job as fiction writer. Esp with that major, gonna have to work really hard to pay off those loans!

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 6:27 AM
3 moms liked this

Seriously?  laughingMaybe she should have been a computer major and learned how to fake an IP address....what a dumb ass!

jcrew6
by Jenney on May. 2, 2013 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

What shocks me are the asshat followers who have started a campaign stating she shouldn't be held accountable.   

Quote:

“Meg Lanker-Simons is innocent we believe what she did was justified and deserves not to be held accountable for her accusations we stand behind you sister,” reads that page’s description

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this
This is why we cannot trust "internet posters." And given the money possible through blogging, there's plenty of incentive for a person to fake and lie to attract page views.
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:23 AM

BUMP!

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Isn't that a sign of some sort of mental illness?  Making multiple profiles and then "talking" to yourself?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's just another high-tech way of lying.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Isn't that a sign of some sort of mental illness?  Making multiple profiles and then "talking" to yourself?

PamR
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I do believe it is.

Apparently, the title of the post is supposed to indicate that she did it because she's a liberal and is out to get conservatives.  Because what else could it be?

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Pema_Jampa
Only on CafeMom...
Yesterday at 6:51 PM
by Celeste on May. 2, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

JustCJ
by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM

She's so ugly she would have to fake that comment...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)