Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eric Cantor will propose Federal Law that Ends Overtime Pay for hourly workers

Posted by   + Show Post

Eric Cantor will propose Federal Law that Ends Overtime Pay for hourly workers

It boggles the mind to know that some members of Congress (like Cantor) make close to $250k annually and sometimes more, depending on the length of service.  What could Cantor, et al possibly know about the needs of an hourly wage worker?

We could save money an easier way:  End some of Congress’ vacation time and extend their work week to 4.5 days (with a half-day on Friday to get back to their home states.)  That way, the taxpayers of the United States will finally get their money’s worth.

DAILY KOS

In Eric Cantor’s February 2013 speech, he said he wanted to propose Federal Law that would end overtime pay for hourly workers.  Currently, the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (FLSA), signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, mandates that certain workers get paid “time + 1/2″ for overtime work.  Eric Cantor wants to eliminate that law.  Because — ya know — workers not getting paid for overtime hours worked out so good for workers before FDR enacted that Law.

Eric Cantor’s “end of overtime pay for workers” that he talked about in his February speech was overshadowed, in part, by the public whining Cantor did bitching that ‘Obama gave his speech at the same time as me … wah, wah, wah.

In this month’s New Yorker Magazine, Ryan Lizza wrote an excellent article titled: “Can Eric Cantor, the Republican Majority Leader, redeem his party and himself?” in which Lizza reminded readers that Eric Cantor wants to end the Federal law that mandates certain workers get paid overtime for the extra hours they labor.

From the New Yorker Magazine: (page 12)

Can Eric Cantor, the Republican Majority Leader, redeem his party and himself? (page 13)Cantor spoke about school choice, tax reform, expanding visas. After the speech, he rode back to the Capitol and met privately with House Republicans to discuss one of the policies he had emphasized: a policy that would allow workers to convert overtime compensation into time off. “I gave a talk today about helping people and about finally focussing on legislation that has understandable benefits right away,” Cantor said. He explained that it would help parents who wanted to go on a field trip or attend a teacher conference. “What I want to see is how we can communicate this, communicate the benefit. How are we going to build a coalition and get it done?

First, the Republicans tried to do this very same thing in 2003 in a House Bill: HR 1119 “Family Time Flexibility Act” (isn’t that a cute title for a bill that will end overtime pay for hourly working moms and dads.)

Continue reading here…

by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Replies (41-48):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Four Pinocchios here - Cantor is doing nothing of the sort. 

Liberals need to actually read the speeches, proposed laws, and imbedded blog articles they refer to, instead of making stuff up.

Great speech by Cantor. No mention of eliminating overtime pay. Novel and creative idea to enable hourly workers to save overtime for paid time off. Why would anyone oppose increasing the rights of private sector hourly employees, so they have the same rights as government hourly workers? Makes no sense. Dems seem to want to punish hourly workers!

Cantor speech:

"Federal laws dating back to the 1930s make it harder for parents who hold hourly jobs to balance the demands of work and home. An hourly employee cannot convert previous overtime into future comp-time or flex-time. In 1985, Congress passed a law that gave state and municipal employees this flexibility, but today still denies that same privilege to the entire private sector. That’s not right.

There’s a police officer at home in my district, her name is Vicki. She is working a tough job, with long hours, while raising her children. Her life is made a little easier because as a local government employee, she is permitted to work some extra hours and save it up for a sick day or a school event.

Imagine if we simply chose to give all employees and employers this option. A working mom could work overtime this month and use it as time off next month without having to worry about whether she’ll be able to take home enough money to pay the rent. This is the kind of common sense legislation that should be non-controversial and moves us in the right direction to help make life work for families."

Blog article quoted in post:

Can Eric Cantor, the Republican Majority Leader, redeem his party and himself? (page 13)Cantor spoke about school choice, tax reform, expanding visas. After the speech, he rode back to the Capitol and met privately with House Republicans to discuss one of the policies he had emphasized: a policy that would allow workers to convert overtime compensation into time off. “I gave a talk today about helping people and about finally focussing on legislation that has understandable benefits right away,” Cantor said. He explained that it would help parents who wanted to go on a field trip or attend a teacher conference. “What I want to see is how we can communicate this, communicate the benefit. How are we going to build a coalition and get it done?”

When I first read this post, I thought - Holy crap! - Cantor eliminated overtime?? Why would he ever do this??

Because he didn't. Read the sources: There is NOTHING about eliminating overtime, NOTHING. What the hell? This is called slander. It is what you get when you have liberals controlling the media, and telling bald face lies about what conservatives are not in fact saying and doing. Why lie about something that can be refuted by just reading the text of the speech and the law? This was INTENTIONAL DECEPTION - not just a matter of opinion - but a conscious choice to assassinate the character of, and throw an innocent Congressman, and a party, under the bus. Perfect example of the lack of honesty of many on the Left in Congress colluding with the liberal media. This is inexcusable. How do they live with themselves? I say THROW THE BA$TARDS out of Congress and the media.

Nanaofsix - You might want to check your articles and sources before posting grossly inaccurate stuff like this. But luckily at least I was able to read these sources, and state what Cantor and conservatives ACTUALLY said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/02/05/full-text-eric-cantors-make-life-work-speech/

Kim370
Happy Easter!
Yesterday at 1:12 PM
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Cantor is a complete waste and has done nothing for the country except hide behind Boehner and complain that the President plays too much basketball.

mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

People are going to end up losing their jobs.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM
[
She simply has a quota to make, she doesn't even read her own posts.

quote name="SallyMJ" id="0"]

Four Pinocchios here - Cantor is doing nothing of the sort. 

Liberals need to actually read the speeches, proposed laws, and imbedded blog articles they refer to, instead of making stuff up.

Great speech by Cantor. No mention of eliminating overtime pay. Novel and creative idea to enable hourly workers to save overtime for paid time off. Why would anyone oppose increasing the rights of private sector hourly employees, so they have the same rights as government hourly workers? Makes no sense. Dems seem to want to punish hourly workers!

Cantor speech:

"Federal laws dating back to the 1930s make it harder for parents who hold hourly jobs to balance the demands of work and home. An hourly employee cannot convert previous overtime into future comp-time or flex-time. In 1985, Congress passed a law that gave state and municipal employees this flexibility, but today still denies that same privilege to the entire private sector. That’s not right.

There’s a police officer at home in my district, her name is Vicki. She is working a tough job, with long hours, while raising her children. Her life is made a little easier because as a local government employee, she is permitted to work some extra hours and save it up for a sick day or a school event.

Imagine if we simply chose to give all employees and employers this option. A working mom could work overtime this month and use it as time off next month without having to worry about whether she’ll be able to take home enough money to pay the rent. This is the kind of common sense legislation that should be non-controversial and moves us in the right direction to help make life work for families."

Blog article quoted in post:

Can Eric Cantor, the Republican Majority Leader, redeem his party and himself? (page 13)Cantor spoke about school choice, tax reform, expanding visas. After the speech, he rode back to the Capitol and met privately with House Republicans to discuss one of the policies he had emphasized: a policy that would allow workers to convert overtime compensation into time off. “I gave a talk today about helping people and about finally focussing on legislation that has understandable benefits right away,” Cantor said. He explained that it would help parents who wanted to go on a field trip or attend a teacher conference. “What I want to see is how we can communicate this, communicate the benefit. How are we going to build a coalition and get it done?”

When I first read this post, I thought - Holy crap! - Cantor eliminated overtime?? Why would he ever do this??

Because he didn't. Read the sources: There is NOTHING about eliminating overtime, NOTHING. What the hell? This is called slander. It is what you get when you have liberals controlling the media, and telling bald face lies about what conservatives are not in fact saying and doing. Why lie about something that can be refuted by just reading the text of the speech and the law? This was INTENTIONAL DECEPTION - not just a matter of opinion - but a conscious choice to assassinate the character of, and throw an innocent Congressman, and a party, under the bus. Perfect example of the lack of honesty of many on the Left in Congress colluding with the liberal media. This is inexcusable. How do they live with themselves? I say THROW THE BA$TARDS out of Congress and the media.

Nanaofsix - You might want to check your articles and sources before posting grossly inaccurate stuff like this. But luckily at least I was able to read these sources, and state what Cantor and conservatives ACTUALLY said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/02/05/full-text-eric-cantors-make-life-work-speech/

[/quote]
susan115
by on May. 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM

The way I read it it was for flexability but according to liberals they didn't read or understand the entire bill.  I could be wrong, but liberals, as we all know are smarter at being the greatest "twisters of  the truth".  It's the cool, hip factor, which will evenually be there own downfall.  Liberals should try thinking like an adult, it's a great feeling.

TheQueenOfChaos
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Uh yeah, this liberal understood the bill and actually agrees with the theory just fine. Thanks.

My DH and I worked for a company called TeleTech a few years ago. I was a regular associate and he was a supervisor. Most policies, pay, and incentives are adjusted for each contract (TeleTech is a vendor site for corporation customer service jobs). At our location, supervisors that were nonexempt or even exempt supervisors that were asked to perform jobs outside of their daily job function, were given the choice between time or pay.

The contract only allotted so many "vacation" days per employee, however the contract gave an incentive called "recreation days" for supervisors. One of the incentives was overtime work for nonexempt employees. For the exempt supervisors, if they were asked to take normal customer service calls rather than the "up" calls (manager requests) after their scheduled shift due to outage in other sites or high volume, they would also receive the same option.

The option was also given to regular associates and supervisors alike when we took on temporary contracts, like taking calls for the Red Cross Haiti Telethon.

Honestly, it was a good system for our chosen career at the time.

However, like another poster who works in a hospital stated, it would not be a good career path for many others.

I can't speak for all hospitals, but as a nursing student, I've come to learn about our local hospitals and nursing homes, as well as the ones in my prior home.

In both areas, it's very hard to give more than one person at a time preplanned time off. In both locations each nurse had what was called a "backup".

Basically there was the same amount of nurses on the floor at all times. If a higher volume of nurses was needed, that's what on calls were for. However, for that assigned amount, picture the names as if they were listed on a chart. The backup is the nurses name on the chart above yours, who is currently on shift.

If you call off, the nurse currently on shift is now required to stay until a replacement is called in. That nurse may have already pulled a 13 hour shift, it doesn't matter. A certain number of nurses is needed. If the volume is low on the floor, an on call will be called in to replace you. As soon as a replacement comes in, you can go. But if all on calls are also needed, you are now required to stay a full second shift.

Nurses are in high demand right now, and most hospitals are short staffed. So say two people already have preplanned time off, and yours is supposed to begin when your shift ends. But your "replacement" doesn't show up, and no on calls are available to come in. You can't leave, even though you have preplanned time off. Because in your contract you agreed to be at that hospital whenever you were needed. In most jobs you can only stay 16 hours, then you're required to take 8 hours. In this job, after 16 hours, your put on basic duties like bedpans, fall watch, bathroom, bathing, etc.,  but they'll keep you a full 24. If you're in a disaster situation, your contract says they can keep you longer.

The other two nurses with preplanned time off are already gone. By contract they do not have to come back because your contract does not require you to answer your phone or stay in the area. But because you are at the hospital, you're obligated to stay and your time off is now on the back burner.

Other jobs could just keep denying your time off request. I have friends who haven't had a vacation in two years because their employer claims there isn't enough "staffing" to give them the time off they've requested. So they have 5+ weeks in a vacation bank that they have yet to use.

So unless a stipulation is added with a statement that after a certain amount of time overtime must be paid out if family time isn't taken, some jobs could easily give you as much mandatory overtime as your state will allow them to give, and you could never see a dime of it if you're under the belief that they'll give you time off.

Like I said, I agree with the theory, because I've been apart of the system.

And as one of those "liberals" I take insult to your generalized ASSumption that we can't think like an adult when your entire post is full of nothing but childish teenaged mockery of others instead of intelligent input yourself.

Quoting susan115:

The way I read it it was for flexability but according to liberals they didn't read or understand the entire bill.  I could be wrong, but liberals, as we all know are smarter at being the greatest "twisters of  the truth".  It's the cool, hip factor, which will evenually be there own downfall.  Liberals should try thinking like an adult, it's a great feeling.

susan115
by on May. 4, 2013 at 7:13 PM

For one, in general liberals twist theories.  2.)  I really don't care how smart you think you are, even if you continue tell me and the world. 3.)  Good for you.

Quoting TheQueenOfChaos:

Uh yeah, this liberal understood the bill and actually agrees with the theory just fine. Thanks.

My DH and I worked for a company called TeleTech a few years ago. I was a regular associate and he was a supervisor. Most policies, pay, and incentives are adjusted for each contract (TeleTech is a vendor site for corporation customer service jobs). At our location, supervisors that were nonexempt or even exempt supervisors that were asked to perform jobs outside of their daily job function, were given the choice between time or pay.

The contract only allotted so many "vacation" days per employee, however the contract gave an incentive called "recreation days" for supervisors. One of the incentives was overtime work for nonexempt employees. For the exempt supervisors, if they were asked to take normal customer service calls rather than the "up" calls (manager requests) after their scheduled shift due to outage in other sites or high volume, they would also receive the same option.

The option was also given to regular associates and supervisors alike when we took on temporary contracts, like taking calls for the Red Cross Haiti Telethon.

Honestly, it was a good system for our chosen career at the time.

However, like another poster who works in a hospital stated, it would not be a good career path for many others.

I can't speak for all hospitals, but as a nursing student, I've come to learn about our local hospitals and nursing homes, as well as the ones in my prior home.

In both areas, it's very hard to give more than one person at a time preplanned time off. In both locations each nurse had what was called a "backup".

Basically there was the same amount of nurses on the floor at all times. If a higher volume of nurses was needed, that's what on calls were for. However, for that assigned amount, picture the names as if they were listed on a chart. The backup is the nurses name on the chart above yours, who is currently on shift.

If you call off, the nurse currently on shift is now required to stay until a replacement is called in. That nurse may have already pulled a 13 hour shift, it doesn't matter. A certain number of nurses is needed. If the volume is low on the floor, an on call will be called in to replace you. As soon as a replacement comes in, you can go. But if all on calls are also needed, you are now required to stay a full second shift.

Nurses are in high demand right now, and most hospitals are short staffed. So say two people already have preplanned time off, and yours is supposed to begin when your shift ends. But your "replacement" doesn't show up, and no on calls are available to come in. You can't leave, even though you have preplanned time off. Because in your contract you agreed to be at that hospital whenever you were needed. In most jobs you can only stay 16 hours, then you're required to take 8 hours. In this job, after 16 hours, your put on basic duties like bedpans, fall watch, bathroom, bathing, etc.,  but they'll keep you a full 24. If you're in a disaster situation, your contract says they can keep you longer.

The other two nurses with preplanned time off are already gone. By contract they do not have to come back because your contract does not require you to answer your phone or stay in the area. But because you are at the hospital, you're obligated to stay and your time off is now on the back burner.

Other jobs could just keep denying your time off request. I have friends who haven't had a vacation in two years because their employer claims there isn't enough "staffing" to give them the time off they've requested. So they have 5+ weeks in a vacation bank that they have yet to use.

So unless a stipulation is added with a statement that after a certain amount of time overtime must be paid out if family time isn't taken, some jobs could easily give you as much mandatory overtime as your state will allow them to give, and you could never see a dime of it if you're under the belief that they'll give you time off.

Like I said, I agree with the theory, because I've been apart of the system.

And as one of those "liberals" I take insult to your generalized ASSumption that we can't think like an adult when your entire post is full of nothing but childish teenaged mockery of others instead of intelligent input yourself.

Quoting susan115:

GrannyM.
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me....over time is Washington D.C. is probably abused anyway....just hanging around building up paid hours while doing nothing...    :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)