Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

U.S. believes Israel made airstrike on Syria

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM
  • 4 Replies
(CNN) - The United States believes Israel has conducted an airstrike into Syria, two U.S. officials first told CNN.

U.S. and Western intelligence agencies are reviewing classified data showing Israel most likely conducted a strike in the Thursday-Friday time frame, according to both officials. This is the same time frame that the U.S. collected additional data showing Israel was flying a high number of warplanes over Lebanon.

One official said the United States had limited information so far and could not yet confirm those are the specific warplanes that conducted a strike. Based on initial indications, the U.S. does not believe Israeli warplanes entered Syrian airspace to conduct the strikes.

Both officials said there is no reason to believe Israel struck at a chemical weapons storage facilities. The Israelis have long said they would strike at any targets that prove to be the transfer of any kinds of weapons to Hezbollah or other terrorist groups, as well as at any effort to smuggle Syrian weapons into Lebanon that could threaten Israel.

The Lebanese army website listed 16 flights by Israeli warplanes penetrating Lebanon's airspace from Thursday evening through Friday afternoon local time.

The Israeli military had no comment. But a source in the Israeli defense establishment told CNN's Sara Sidner, "We will do whatever is necessary to stop the transfer of weapons from Syria to terrorist organizations. We have done it in the past and we will do it if necessary the future."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/03/world/meast/israel-airstrike-syria/index.html

by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
JustCJ
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Those infidels.
gludwig2000
by Gina on May. 4, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I've never been to sure about us being allies of Israel, and feel like they are going to pull us into some bad stuff as if we don't have enough of it ourselves.

StephanieSH
by on May. 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Israel is the only the democracy in the middle east.  We can't turn our back on them just because we are afraid they might drag us into trouble.  That's what being allies is all about.  We agree to have each other's back.

Quoting gludwig2000:

I've never been to sure about us being allies of Israel, and feel like they are going to pull us into some bad stuff as if we don't have enough of it ourselves.

gludwig2000
by Gina on May. 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM
I understand that, which is why I'm torn on the issue of Israel. I know that they are a very valuable ally in the middle east, but I just don't approve of some of the things they do. I guess that I see both sides of the issue, which does cause confusion, at least to me.
Quoting StephanieSH:

Israel is the only the democracy in the middle east.  We can't turn our back on them just because we are afraid they might drag us into trouble.  That's what being allies is all about.  We agree to have each other's back.

Quoting gludwig2000:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN