Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE: PRESS PLAYS CATCH-UP ON BENGHAZI SCANDAL

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:11 AM
  • 8 Replies

The Benghazi scandal has truly become Watergate for the media themselves. 

Months too late, and only after stunning revelations from whistleblower after whistleblower, members of the Obama-serving media are beginning to ask the questions they should have asked in the immediate aftermath of the murder of Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans by terrorists on September 11, 2012. At the time, the media members (with a few exceptions) were too busy trying to drag President Obama to re-election. Only now that his second term is safe have they begun to do their jobs. Too little, too late.

That became crystal clear on Monday in a blockbuster exchange between a CNN reporter, State Department acting deputy spokesperson Patrick Ventrell, and a Fox News reporter. Ventrell was asked about the latest reports of Benghazi whistleblowers stating that military assets were told to stand down as Americans were killed in Benghazi; Benghazi survivors were silenced by the administration; and the Obama administration changedpublic talking points to reflect the notion that Benghazi was not a planned terrorist attack. Ventrell pled ignorance: “In terms of these potential transcripts out there, we haven’t seen the transcripts.”

At that point, a CNN reporter piped up, “Yeah, you have. Oh, yes, you have. Come on, Patrick.” Ventrell again denied that he had copies of the transcripts from the whistleblowers. The CNN reporter repeated, “Well, you’ve seen them – I mean, you’ve seen – you know the gist of what they’re saying and what their arguments are." 

"First of all," the questioner continued, "Greg Hicks makes charges that he thought that there were assets in Libya that could have been able to be sent from Tripoli to Benghazi that night, and they were rejected. I mean, there are numerous charges that he makes.”

That’s when a Fox News reporter interjected. He was obviously frustrated by the fact that the White House has stonewalled the Benghazi situation for months based on the outright lie that this was a ginned-up exercise in partisanship from crazy right-wing Fox News. And he was just as obviously frustrated that only now, after eight months of complete apathy from the water-carrying leftist media, was the leftist media beginning to take notice. “Let the record reflect,” the Fox News reporter said, “that that was CNN asking that question and not Fox News. Please continue.”

And that is the problem. Now and only now are the media interested in what happened in Benghazi. When it was time for the media to expose the facts about Benghazi – when it would have made an electoral difference to inform the American people about the administration’s failure to protect Americans, its alleged failure to send military assets in response to attacks on Americans, and then its outright lies to cover its own ass to win an election – the media played defense for Barack Obama. They ripped then-presidential candidate Mitt Romney for “politicizing” the Benghazi story. They implied there was nothing to see at all. They mirrored the bitingly disgusting words of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in her hearing before the Senate in January: “What difference, at this point, does it make?”

At that point, it would have made a world of difference. Now, with all the responsible parties gone except for the president himself, it will make virtually no difference. That was a calculation those in the media recognized even at the time. They waited until Barack Obama won re-election. They waited until their favorite 2016 candidate, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, was out of office. They waited until then-Defense Secretary Leon Panetta was gone. They waited until Ambassador Susan Rice had been put aside for Senator John Kerry.

Now they’re covering Benghazi. The bodies are in the ground. The terrorists are in the wind. And the media are ensconced in their cozy retreats, finally ready to write about the death of an American ambassador and the failure of the White House’s Middle East policy.

Perhaps late is better than never. But timing matters when it comes to reporting. The media knew that back in September 2012. That’s why they kept their mouths shut and kept repeating over and over again, mantra-like, the words of the White House: Youtube video. Best available information. Politicization. Fox News. Mitt Romney’s fault. Nothing to see here. These aren’t the droids you’re looking for. Move along.

The American people moved along. But the coffins didn’t. Neither did the survivors. And if no one pays for the lies of this administration in a scandal that dwarfs Watergate in both its consequences and its implications for American foreign policy, that media will have blown its collective last shred of credibility as an independent Fourth Estate. 

by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tnmomofive
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Good article..sums it up well.

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM
2 moms liked this
That is a good article and FINALLY (to CNN)!
Although. To me, I don't even care if it had swayed the election. I don't think it would have, people were still enamored with Obama and I don't believe this would have gotten them to vote for Romney - at all. If a moderate had run, maybe.... But to me, I care the other media didn't report this because I care about knowing when we have been misled. I care about the lives of Americans serving us in dangerous settings. The people that died and their families deserve the truth. It should have been covered at the time. I absolutely hate that anyone politicized this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erika9009
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Although. To me, I don't even care if it had swayed the election. I don't think it would have, people were still enamored with Obama and I don't believe this would have gotten them to vote for Romney - at all. If a moderate had run, maybe.... But to me, I care the other media didn't report this because I care about knowing when we have been misled. I care about the lives of Americans serving us in dangerous settings. The people that died and their families deserve the truth. It should have been covered at the time. I absolutely hate that anyone politicized this!

I have to agree it probably would not have swayed the election to Romney the way Romney handled it. If Mitt and company had taken it and used it agressively against Pres Obama, it could have made the difference.

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

erika9009
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM

BUMP!

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Too little too late.....yes, but I will still take that over the liberal media saying absolutely nothing. Both Glenn Beck and Rush reported the attack and the truth a day after it happened.  And what did the left wingers do.....attacked Beck and Rush.  This is worst than Watergate and what are the left wingers still doing.......

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:12 PM

At that point, a CNN reporter piped up, “Yeah, you have. Oh, yes, you have. Come on, Patrick.” 

“Let the record reflect,” the Fox News reporter said, “that that was CNN asking that question and not Fox News. Please continue.”

The video including the audio is even better than the text.

Oh, I think it could definitely swayed the election - A few more votes here and there could have changed the results of the electoral college.

Otherwise, there is no reason to bury a terrorist attack, that is partly the result of inadequate security,  and drastically change the talking points. 

What do you mean, "politicized this?"

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:59 PM
You don't agree that covering up all that has been by the adminstration and media wasnt politicizing or the relentless search for the cover up by Republicans was politicizing? I think both sides have politicized this issue instead of focusing on finding the truth FOR THE FAMILIES, and I hate that. Do you not agree? If not, why? I am interested in hearing your opinion.

Quoting SallyMJ:

At that point, a CNN reporter piped up, “Yeah, you have. Oh, yes, you have. Come on, Patrick.” 

“Let the record reflect,” the Fox News reporter said, “that that was CNN asking that question and not Fox News. Please continue.”

Oh, I think it could definitely swayed the election - A few more votes here and there could have changed the results of the electoral college.

Otherwise, there is no reason to bury a terrorist attack, that is partly the result of inadequate security,  and drastically change the talking points. 

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 3:22 AM

If there is a coverup - that is a criminal action. 

Of course, it is huge that it came up during the election. But Benghazi happened on an anniversary of 9/11, when all US interests around the world should have been at high alert - just not in Libya, for some reason.

I would argue that the Obama administration politicized it by - as we now know - purposely lying about it to the American people. And stuffing it under the rug. 

Based on a lot of the information given, there was a lead-up of maybe 1-1/2 years, where security was actually DECREASED. And we all know that a contingent of US Marines - the default standard security for US Embassies/Consulates - was in fact not provided to Benghazi or any embassy/consulate in the Middle East, except Israel. But they were in Switzerland, which has virtually no crime. And they were provided to all of the Middle Eastern embassies after the Benghazi attack. 

The strange thing about it was that virtually none of the media was covering except Fox, despite all the startling information that came in every day.

And now other networks have come on board, reluctantly. They want to hear what the whistleblowers have to say - and wonder why they didn't give their testimony earlier. 

Quoting Analeigh2012:

You don't agree that covering up all that has been by the adminstration and media wasnt politicizing or the relentless search for the cover up by Republicans was politicizing? I think both sides have politicized this issue instead of focusing on finding the truth FOR THE FAMILIES, and I hate that. Do you not agree? If not, why? I am interested in hearing your opinion.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN