Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

In interview, Susan Rice explains role in WH decision-making; ‘People know not to mess with me’

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 4:13 PM
  • 10 Replies

Charles C. Johnson

“We normally get our instructions on various issues from the State Department or the White House,” she wrote, describing an unnamed situation in 2011 “where it wasn’t a big deal that we had to litigate at the highest levels.”

“In that instance, I would be at the table in Washington and argue my point of view. The president or somebody else would make a decision and we’d have to implement it,”" Rice explained. “This was not of … a [high] degree of profile, but it had the potential to poison the atmosphere here at the UN and create some resentment toward us that I figured we didn’t need to create.”

Rice continued, exploring the tactical toolbox she used to manipulate the decision-making process and get her way.

“The original instruction was to go kill this proposal outright with blunt force,” she recalled in the interview. “My team in Washington got me a modified instruction that didn’t soften it as much as I wanted. It basically said, kill it with a bunch of questions. But these are questions that I had already delayed it with six weeks ago, so to come back with that tactic wasn’t going to work, either. I decided to do it a different way, toward the same end. My view is that, if we can kill it without a lot of cost, that’s fine.”

“I created an environment in which we may not have to kill the proposal overtly ourselves, and the thing can collapse of its own weight. … It’s fun to figure out not just what it is we have to do, but also to have some opportunity to carry out how we do it.”

Rice also discussed in the interview her professional demeanor and management style.

“I’m straightforward,” she said. “People know when they talk to me that what they see is what they get — that I’m not playing games. I think that’s very important. They see me as pretty open and collaborative, tough when I need to be, but not confrontational for my own sake. I think people know not to mess with me. And if they haven’t learned, and they try, then they will learn.”

Rice confessed that one weakness persisted from her days as Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs: a lack of patience.

“Patience still isn’t my strong suit. I began recognizing that the best way to get from A to Z was not always in a straight line … sometimes you need to tack and adjust. Sometimes you have to slow down to bring as many people along as possible,” she recalled.

“[T]here’s nothing about my work or my job that I inherently fear,” she said in the book. “I never have. I worry about some of the issues we’re dealing with, which are really challenging, but I’m not afraid.”

by on May. 8, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Uppity

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Billijeens,

Not helpful.  :(

Quoting Billiejeens:

Uppity

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM

oh.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Hi Billijeens,

Quoting Billiejeens:

Uppity

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Uppity is a race specific term?

Quoting SallyMJ:

Otherwise one of our buddies is going to react w/ racist claims...   :(

Quoting Billiejeens:

oh.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Hi Billijeens,

Quoting Billiejeens:

Uppity

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Pretty much. The most stereotypical of all - racist LBJ famously used it and many, many more.  I would delete it if it were mine.   :(

And you know I agree with you 99.999% of the time.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Uppity is a race specific term?

Quoting SallyMJ:

Otherwise one of our buddies is going to react w/ racist claims...   :(

Quoting Billiejeens:

oh.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Hi Billijeens,

Quoting Billiejeens:

Uppity

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Quoting SallyMJ:

Well, you're smart like that.
But, Even Ivory soap ain't 100%

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I tried.

I still like you, and still agree with you 99.999% of the time.  :)

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Well, you're smart like that.
But, Even Ivory soap ain't 100%

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd go with cocky and arrogant ~ playing games with peoples' lives as though they are nothing more than chess pieces really goes beyond either of those words (and to a certain extent I agree with Billijeens because the word she used is actually a very serviceable word ~ in spite of those who can't get past anything they might be able to discredit as 'racial').

Quoting SallyMJ:

Hi Billijeens,

Quoting Billiejeens:

Uppity

erika9009
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:25 PM
2 moms liked this

There are a number of people who need to "fall on the sword" politically for this major incident.  Susan Rice is one of them.

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM
2 moms liked this

And a few higher ranked ones........

Quoting erika9009:

There are a number of people who need to "fall on the sword" politically for this major incident.  Susan Rice is one of them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN