Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Daily Beast: Are Budget Cuts to Blame for Benghazi Attack?

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:43 PM
  • 10 Replies

Vice Presidential Debate

Fact checkers take note: Biden’s suggestion that funding cuts may have undermined security at the consulate has been disproven—by his own administration. Eli Lake debunks.

The post-debate fact checkers are taking Vice President Joe Biden to task for saying the administration never received requests for more diplomatic security in Libya. when in fact the State Department has already admitted it rejected those very requests. But more nuanced was Biden’s suggestion, albeit oblique, that funding cuts were somehow related to the relative lack of security in Benghazi leading up to the Sept. 11 attacks there.

“The congressman here cut embassy security in his budget by $300 million below what we asked for,” said Biden in Thursday night’s debate, referencing Paul Ryan’s budget plan. “So much for the embassy security piece.”

But would more money have prevented the attacks?

Apparently not, at least according to one senior State Department official who would certainly seem to know.

In testimony Wednesday before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Charlene Lamb, a deputy assistant secretary of state for diplomatic security, was asked, “Was there any budget consideration and lack of budget which led you not to increase the number of people in the security force there?”

Lamb responded, “No, sir.”

Recall that Lamb is the person who denied requests from the top diplomatic security officer in Libya to retain a 16-man team of military personnel who had been protecting diplomats.

That would seem to be the end of the story.

So where did Biden come up with this line? Unclear. But what is known is that one of the first mentions of budget cuts in relation to Benghazi appears to have came from Rep. Elijah Cummings, the Democratic ranking member on the House Oversight Committee. In a press release before Wednesday’s hearing, Cummings wrote, “The fact is that, since 2011, the House has cut embassy security by hundreds of millions of dollars below the amounts requested by the President. Restoring our commitment to embassy security would make a real difference to thousands of Americans who serve our country overseas, often in extremely dangerous circumstances.”

Whether doing so will prevent another Benghazi is another story.

But would more money have prevented the attacks? Apparently not, at least according to one senior official who would know.

Same goes for a point Ryan made a few seconds earlier, in which he asked why the U.S. ambassador in France was protected by Marine guards, yet Ambassador Chris Stevens, arguably positioned in a far more dangerous country, was not. “Our ambassador in Paris has a marine detachment guarding him. Should we have a marine detachment in Benghazi?” Ryan asked.

by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JanuaryBaby06
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Eh anything is possible. To tell the truth I don't know enough about this mess to have an opinion that goes either way but hopefully you find whatever it is that you are looking for :D

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2013 at 2:50 AM

BUMP!

denise3680
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this

what exactly are you looking for?

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I'll help ya.

There are no cuts, no cuts.

The sequester happened after the election, which was after Benghazi.

So, as usual Biden is

(1) a moron

(2) knows the American People are mostly morons.

(3) Both.

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

Eh anything is possible. To tell the truth I don't know enough about this mess to have an opinion that goes either way but hopefully you find whatever it is that you are looking for :D

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM

The truth.

Not excuses.

How about you?

Quoting denise3680:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2013 at 4:36 PM

What do you deduce from what Charlene Lamb says, other than the budget nor any budget cuts played a part in her not increasing security in Benghazi?

How do you read the testimony of the one who was in charge of this?

"Hopefully you will find whatever is is that you are looking for."

The truth. What are you looking for? Did you even read the article?

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

JanuaryBaby06
by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Quoting SallyMJ:

What do you deduce from what Charlene Lamb says, other than the budget nor any budget cuts played a part in her not increasing security in Benghazi?

How do you read the testimony of the one who was in charge of this?

"Hopefully you will find whatever is is that you are looking for."

The truth. What are you looking for? Did you even read the article?

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

I did read the article and I have an opinion but without knowing much about this whole mess, my opinion would just be based off of this article, which seems like one small peice of the puzzle, not enough to have an overall opinion. I generally avoid this topic because of how passionate some people are about it and I just do not share that kind of passion on this issue nor do I have any real knowledge on it either. I, more or less, wrote as a bump for you! I just meant whatever you are looking for because you have been posting alot about this subject recently. Didn't mean anything malicious by it :D
denise3680
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Quoting SallyMJ:

The truth.

Not excuses.

How about you?

Quoting denise3680:

I would like the truth also, but what truth are you looking for?  It seems you are looking for that one thing that will allow you and others to place the entire Benghazi incident squarely on Obama.  IF that is the truth about your intentions then you do not want the truth in the greater sense, you want an impeachment.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 8:30 AM

So what do you think about the fact that there is no substance to the Democrats' favorite budget blame accusation? That it was debunked by the one who sends or denies security, Charlene Lamb? And the actuality that it is the failure of the State Department? 

I'm looking for the truth.  I want to know three things:

1) Why Americans were so disastrously unprotected in Benghazi in general, and on an anniversary of 9/11?

2) Why didn't we respond better to the terrorist attack?

3) Why did the administration lie about it? Six weeks before an election?

It sounds like you don't care about our dead from Benghazi, and that you and Jay Carney both think "Benghazi happened a long time ago." 

Have you read the transcript or watched the video of the hearing? I'm picking up that your answer is NO - that you just want to argue instead of finding out the facts.

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting SallyMJ:

The truth.

Not excuses.

How about you?

Quoting denise3680:

I would like the truth also, but what truth are you looking for?  It seems you are looking for that one thing that will allow you and others to place the entire Benghazi incident squarely on Obama.  IF that is the truth about your intentions then you do not want the truth in the greater sense, you want an impeachment.

denise3680
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Quoting SallyMJ:

Have you read the transcript or watched the video of the hearing?

I'm looking for the truth.  I want to know three things:

1) Why Americans were so disastrously unprotected in Benghazi in general, and on an anniversary of 9/11?

2) Why didn't we respond better to the terrorist attack?

3) Why did the administration lie about it? Six weeks before an election?

It sounds like you don't care about our dead from Benghazi, and that you and Jay Carney both think "Benghazi happened a long time ago." 

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting SallyMJ:

The truth.

Not excuses.

How about you?

Quoting denise3680:

Sally your insistence that people do not read, understand or comprehend things, especially when they do not agree with you or say what you want them to say is tiring:/  I will do this one last time and then i am done with this.

1)  I have listened to, read and understand much of the hearings and transcripts on the attacks. 

2)  yes, I agree that is something I would like to know.  Why did they cut the security or was it that they had enough Libyan security but they tucked tail and left leaving it understaffed.  Did they really give a stand down order and who gave that order? 

3) Respond?  it appears that you want to go to war and that is not an option that we need to do. If you mean by words, what difference would that make really?  (please do not answer that I am not going to answer anymore)

4)  YOu so desperatly want this to be a conspiracy it is really ridiculous.  It happened before the elections, what is your point?  The American peopel, yes even conservatives,  are more concerned with what is happening to them it has been proven time and time again in many many polls.

Yes, you are correct, no one cares that people are dead.  WE are having a dead party next week at my house:/  My goodness woman really:/   Pathetic:/ 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN