Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

NRA likes violence against women

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM
  • 58 Replies

Bleeding Ex-Girlfriend Shooting Target At NRA Conference Promotes Violence Against Women 

zombie_girlfriend

This is so offensive in so many ways, I don’t know where to begin. During Houston’s NRA Conference last week, a vendor was promoting shooting targets. One target looked so much like President Obama, it had to be taken off display. However the one ‘token’ female target called ‘Ex’, to represent an ex-girlfriend, that bleeds when you shoot her, was allowed to stay. It apparently met the NRA decency guidelines.

lisabeth Plank from Policymic shares her views and very good research information:

“I’m not even sure how to begin unpacking this, so let me start with some stats. Men’s violence against women is not a small pickle, it’s a huge problem. Not just all over the world and in every society, but particularly here in the United States where ”domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women — more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.” One third of female murder victims are killed by an intimate partner.

Gun violence is a gendered issue since it impacts women and men in very different ways. Because women are more vulnerable to violence within the home than men (and men are most often the perpetrators of violence against women), the presence of a gun makes females less safe, not more. How do we know? A woman’s likelihood of a violent death within the home actually increases by 270% when a gun is kept inside the house. Homicide figures don’t lie. Having a gun within their possession didn’t protect women from murder. In fact, it accurately predicted their higher likelihood of death.

Every day, at least three women are killed by an intimate partner in the US alone.

Thank you, Elizabeth. You said it better than I would. If I were to write more now, given my state of anger and outrage, I doubt my choice of words would get past this, or most site’s obscenity ‘guidelines’ –and I wanted to get the story out.

I am grateful that we have a president who signed into law, the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). I’m grateful for Women’s Right’s organizations like UniteWomen.org who have campaigns protesting violence against women and who recently began a campaign called, Unite Against Rape. And I’m grateful for sites like Women’s Health.Com that give information links and helplines for women who need help and don’t know where to find it. Through these groups and articles, we build awareness and together find ways to combat violence against women.

If you feel you’re in danger, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotlineand get help: 1-800-799-SAFE

by on May. 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 4:37 PM
2 moms liked this

That is incredibly tacky. 

DSamuels
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 5:31 PM
8 moms liked this
Tacky? Yes.

Saying they are in favor of violence against women? That's a huge stretch. Unless the NRA endorsed, marketed and sold the target, I disagree with the premise. If they are so anti-women, they wouldn't allow them to join the NRA.

This was a private vendor selling these. I wonder if he also had male targets that did the same thing for female shooters. I'd look it up, but there's no link or name given to check.

Have you never seen the signs like "I still miss my ex-husband, but my aim is getting better"? Or "I ran into my ex-husband, put it in reverse and ran over him again."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
colins_mom
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this
someone in another thread said that these target's came in male, female, and zombie.

Quoting DSamuels:

Tacky? Yes.

Saying they are in favor of violence against women? That's a huge stretch. Unless the NRA endorsed, marketed and sold the target, I disagree with the premise. If they are so anti-women, they wouldn't allow them to join the NRA.

This was a private vendor selling these. I wonder if he also had male targets that did the same thing for female shooters. I'd look it up, but there's no link or name given to check.

Have you never seen the signs like "I still miss my ex-husband, but my aim is getting better"? Or "I ran into my ex-husband, put it in reverse and ran over him again."
colins_mom
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM
4 moms liked this
as I said in another thread, I am ok with these. are male targets promoting violence against men?

DSamuels
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM
6 moms liked this
Found their website. They have 1 woman, 8 men, 1 alien and 5 animals....all zombies. The men targets outnumber the women 8 to 1.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DSamuels
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this
They do, I just looked at the website.

Quoting colins_mom:

someone in another thread said that these target's came in male, female, and zombie.

Quoting DSamuels:

Tacky? Yes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 5:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Probably, but that doesn't fit the agenda.

Quoting colins_mom:

as I said in another thread, I am ok with these. are male targets promoting violence against men?

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 5:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Fail - of course.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Bleeding Ex-Girlfriend Shooting Target At NRA Conference Promotes Violence Against Women 

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Please they have males and zombies too.I saw of this weeks ago.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 1:29 AM
9 moms liked this

I think it's just wrong and outrageous to promote violence against zombies.

Quoting tnmomofive:

Please they have males and zombies too.I saw of this weeks ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)