Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama To High Schoolers: I'm Going To Need You to Pressure Your Members of Congress

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM
  • 14 Replies

President Obama addresses students at Manor New Technology High School in Austin, Texas on Thursday afternoon:

OBAMA: Every once in a while I’m going to need your help to lean on your elected representatives and say, hey, let’s do something about this; even if you don’t like it politically, if it’s a good idea, let’s go ahead and support it. So sometimes I’m going to need constituents to pressure their members of Congress to do the right thing.

But where I can, I’m just going to go ahead and take action on my own, including some executive actions that I’m taking today that I’m convinced will spur innovation and help businesses create more jobs. Because we know what’s possible when Americans -- whether they’re Republicans or Democrats or independents -- are working together, and when parents and teachers and business owners and local leaders come together.
by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blues_pagan
by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM

And the issue is what exactly?  It is now a bad thing for Obama to tell kids to get involved from an early age in what happens in their country?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:45 PM
3 moms liked this

Because Obama didn't say it is important to get involved.

He told these high schoolers, at an assembly called by their school, that he needed them to help him by putting pressure on their own members of Congress who disagree with Obama, because what Obama wants is more important than what their families want. Which makes it sound like Obama's directive was also approved by the school leadership. Which it wasn't. Which is why it ended up in the news.

I don't think it's ethical for a national political figure to visit 10th graders, and tell them to petition Congress, when they aren't even eligible to vote.

I'm pretty sure no president has ever done that before. No one else had the audacity to do that. Otherwise, we would have heard about it, and he would have been lambasted.

Quoting blues_pagan:

And the issue is what exactly?  It is now a bad thing for Obama to tell kids to get involved from an early age in what happens in their country?

29again
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know which is worse, this statement to kids who can't even vote yet, or what he said to the OSU grads this weekend.  The only song he knows is "don't listen to THEM, listen to ME." 

And, WTH, he signed more executive orders this morning?  All I can say is, I hope he stays at the WH for the 4th this year.  I really do.  He just might see something that will let him know how people REALLY feel.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 12:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Is he serious?? Congress doesn't listen to REGISTERED VOTERS, let alone teenagers.

If congress did listen, they wouldn't have whored themselves out for Obummercare.

smiley: Yah - keystrokes: bitch

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2013 at 4:42 AM

BUMP!

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 7:39 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes kiddies the right thing to do is to help him become king.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2013 at 5:22 PM

And, "Don't listen to people who tell you not to trust government."

Translation? "Who tell you not to trust ME."

Quoting 29again:

I don't know which is worse, this statement to kids who can't even vote yet, or what he said to the OSU grads this weekend.  The only song he knows is "don't listen to THEM, listen to ME." 

And, WTH, he signed more executive orders this morning?  All I can say is, I hope he stays at the WH for the 4th this year.  I really do.  He just might see something that will let him know how people REALLY feel.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2013 at 5:22 PM

His Royal Majesty, Barack the First, King of America

Quoting tnmomofive:

Yes kiddies the right thing to do is to help him become king.

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Very concerning. If I had a child in that school, the school district would definitely hear about my displeasure.i would be as upset if this were a republican or an independent politician at any level - local, state or federal. So it isn't just that I dislike Obama.
And WTH?! He signed more EOs?? I need to catch up on the news this week. UGH - I kind of really wish this power was restricted...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I guess the schools aren't creating "brown shirts" fast enough for him, so he goes directly to kids.  No president since Nixon has ever been so desperate to get the public to believe him.  His house of cards is crumbling all around him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)