Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

What do you think of the Affordable Care Act's impact on health care?

Posted by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:26 AM
  • 21 Replies

Changes in Health Care Moms Need to Know About (VIDEO)

by Lindsay Ferrier

Affordable Care ActPresident Obama used the Mother's Day holiday to promote the Affordable Care Act and talk about the changes in healthcare law that affect moms in particular.

Whether or not you support the new healthcare plan, it affects you. Now is as good a time as any to go over a few major changes that could benefit you and your family.

--It is now illegal to exclude children from coverage because of a pre-existing condition. In 2014, it will be illegal for insurance companies to exclude anyone because of a pre-existing condition. In the meantime, a new program called the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan provides coverage for those who need it until these rules go into effect in 2014.

--Anyone joining a new insurance plan can choose any primary care doctor, OB-GYN, or pediatrician in his or her network (or any emergency care outside his or her network) without a referral.

--Most women can now receive preventive care without co-pays -- including mammography screenings for women over 40, birth control, breastfeeding support and supplies, domestic violence screening and counseling, STI counseling, and HIV testing and counseling.

--In 2014, women can no longer be charged more for individual insurance policies because of their gender.

--Your child can now stay on your insurance plan (unless their employer provides insurance) until he or she is 26, regardless of whether he or she is living with you, financially dependent on you, or married.

--Insurance companies cannot impose lifetime limits on the amount of care you receive or drop your coverage if you get sick.

Here's what President Obama had to say to women on Friday about the Affordable Care Act:

We've spent a lot of time over the last year going back and forth on whether the Affordable Care Act is a good or bad idea -- but the fact is, it's here now and we might as well use it to our advantage.

You can read more about how the Affordable Care Act could affect you and your family by checking out this breakdown from the White House. The Kaiser Family Foundation also has a very helpful, non-partisan website with tons of easy-to-understand information on the Affordable Care Act.

Personally, I'm most excited about the provision that allows my kids to stay on my health insurance plan until they're 26 ... What about you?

What do you think of these changes?

by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM
3 moms liked this

Is this a paid advertisment?

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on May. 14, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I think its small steps but in the right direction. Now if we could get a bipartisan congress to bring it to its full potential.
jcrew6
by Jenney on May. 15, 2013 at 1:38 AM

What could possibly go wrong when the Health and Human Services Secretary, Kathleen Sebelius, is  soliciting donations from companies her agency might regulate, to help sign up (thus funding) uninsured Americans for ObamaCare? 

gsprofval
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:06 AM
3 moms liked this

This does not help any one at all.

Hours are cut, so we make less money. Then we are fined and taxed at outrageous rates to pay money we don't have. 

Jobs are lost, money is lost, and there won't be much healthcare that we are allowed to have because the "panel" is prepped to so NO--it costs too much.

The magic cut-off age is 76--too old and it costs too much to give old folks any healthcare, so just die.

Cancer patients will not have life-saving medicines covered by insurance any more and they can't afford $3,000-$7,000 a month for medicine--remember work hours have already been cut.

Ya, this is stupid.

MidwestMama55
by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:11 AM
6 moms liked this

Obamacare will hurt everyone in the long run. Our insurance has skyrocketed since Obamacare passed, and we were told that was exactly why. Not only have our rates increased, our coverage has decreased, and our out of pocket costs have tripled.

Tragedy, that's all it is.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I think these changes are much needed and long overdue.

However, I also think these changes could have been implemented via law and regulation alone rather than creating another gov't run health insurance plan.

zetajen
by New Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

women (who cost more because of our reproductive system) pay the same as men. so the insurance for men goes up to offset that cost.

Pre-existing conditions are expensive. I don't want any person or family to be denied because of pre-existing conditions. I like this in theory. But these expensive, risky people make everyone else's insurance costs go up.

I see Obamacare as taking jobs from the actuary and charging everyone the same, regardless of their expected cost to the insurance company. This is a gross oversimplification, of course.

rccmom
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I like the fact that myn2 older children can remain on our health insurance, though that is most definitely not a freebie. Like all things, there will be unexpected costs, but the fact is we need to change the way we do healthcare in this country. 

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Ridiculous, of course

Quoting 143myboys9496:

I think these changes are much needed and long overdue.

However, I also think these changes could have been implemented via law and regulation alone rather than creating another gov't run health insurance plan.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Why didn't the parents of your 2 older children raise them to be productive members of society?

Quoting rccmom:

I like the fact that myn2 older children can remain on our health insurance, though that is most definitely not a freebie. Like all things, there will be unexpected costs, but the fact is we need to change the way we do healthcare in this country. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)