Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

When Is a Scandal Not A Scandal?

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 7:54 AM
  • 16 Replies

O and C

I don’t like reading the New York Times in the morning because I’m always afraid my head will explode and that would make it difficult to go through the rest of the day.  My aforementioned head almost did explode when I read this headline on page one:

I.R.S. Focus on Conservatives Gives GOP an Issue to Seize On  

Get it?  The real story isn’t that the IRS abused its considerable power by giving special scrutiny to groups with the name “Tea Party” or “Patriot” in their title … or that they actually went far beyond those keywords and took aim at groups seeking to “make America a better place to live” or those who would “criticize how the country is being run.” No, the real story is that this gives Republican an issue to seize on.

Aren’t Democrats interested in seizing on this despicable behavior by one of the most powerful agencies of the federal government?  The New York Times, I’m guessing, never thought about that.

Here’s the problem, as succinctly summarized on Hot Air:

“If it’s a scandal involving Republicans, the story is the scandal. If it’s a scandal involving Democrats, the story — or at least a significant part of it — is whether and how Republicans will ‘politicize’ the scandal for their advantage.

Bingo!

It’s the same with Benghazi.  Liberal journalists are more concerned with how Republicans will use the apparent cover-up to hurt Hillary Clinton’s chances in 2016 than they are with finding out what really went wrong and who tried to mislead the American people about it.

Here’s Exhibit A, a headline in the Los Angeles Times:  ““Partisan politics dominates House Benghazi hearing” … as if this is Washington politics as usual and we’re not going to learn anything from the witnesses who swore to tell the truth.

Too many Washington journalists see everything through a prism of politics.  Benghazi isn’t about the death of four Americans … it’s about the future of Hillary Clinton.  The IRS scandal isn’t about the abusive use of federal government power … it’s about how the GOP will use it to score political points.

But even if you play by these rules, why isn’t the story on page one of the New York Times about how Democrats in the Obama administration may have been going after conservative groups … for political gain?

Why isn’t the Benghazi story framed in a way that questions Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama’s political spin?  Is she trying to stay out of trouble precisely because she wants to run for president?  Was Mr. Obama more concerned about winning re-election, running in part on the phony premise that he had al-Qaeda on the run, than he was in admitting early on that al-Qaeda was responsible for the attack in Benghazi? Is he now more concerned about his reputation than … well, than anything else?

There has been a subtle shift in how Mr. Obama’s most loyal base, the so-called mainstream media, are treating him.  When ABC News revealed the emails about Benghazi and their many re-writes to scrub any reference to terrorism (instead blaming a dopey video for the attacks) that gave mainstream journalists permission to question the president in a way they hadn’t before.  If Fox came up with those emails the mainstream media response would have been a giant yawn.

There may be a new, less adoring relationship between the slobbering media and their hero, the president – especially after it came out that his justice department got a secret court order to go through phone records of journalists at the Associated Press. Now that’s something they can really get worked up over.  Benghazi? Who cares! IRS? Big deal.  But when you go after journalists, they’ll turn that into Watergate, the sequel.

But if there is a new tougher relationship between the press and the president, I’m guessing it won’t last long.

by on May. 16, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustCJ
by on May. 16, 2013 at 12:55 PM
2 moms liked this

This is going to be so fun to watch play out. I can't think of a better bunch to watch go down, the MSM and Hitlery and Osama? Too good to be true.popcorn

motherslove82
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM
3 moms liked this

One of the headlines on Facebook this morning said "Obama will hold the IRS accountable". I didn't know Obama even knew that word. LOL. And I'm sure "accountable" means "sweep it under the rug or spin it as fast as possible". It looks like the spin has already begun.

JustCJ
by on May. 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL he fired a dude who was already leaving haha. Duuurp, it's good enough for the libs, but the smart citizens not so much ha.

Quoting motherslove82:

One of the headlines on Facebook this morning said "Obama will hold the IRS accountable". I didn't know Obama even knew that word. LOL. And I'm sure "accountable" means "sweep it under the rug or spin it as fast as possible". It looks like the spin has already begun.

motherslove82
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, that was pointed out several times in the comment section. CNN is trying really hard to appear to report news. Bless their hearts.

Quoting JustCJ:

LOL he fired a dude who was already leaving haha. Duuurp, it's good enough for the libs, but the smart citizens not so much ha.

Quoting motherslove82:

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal picture
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

JustCJ
by on May. 16, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I suspected they would try to save face when it was inevitable.

Quoting motherslove82:

Yeah, that was pointed out several times in the comment section. CNN is trying really hard to appear to report news. Bless their hearts.

Quoting JustCJ:

Quoting motherslove82:

jcrew6
by Jenney on May. 16, 2013 at 1:12 PM
2 moms liked this

This is an example of liberals who aren't concerned about accountability.  It's more about score keeping and game playing.  

Quote:

I.R.S. Focus on Conservatives Gives GOP an Issue to Seize On  

Get it?  The real story isn’t that the IRS abused its considerable power by giving special scrutiny to groups with the name “Tea Party” or “Patriot” in their title … or that they actually went far beyond those keywords and took aim at groups seeking to “make America a better place to live” or those who would “criticize how the country is being run.” No, the real story is that this gives Republican an issue to seize on.

bamababe1975
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Argh, it's all so maddening when you look at it. What a mess!

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM

But if there is a new tougher relationship between the press and the president, I’m guessing it won’t last long.

The love affair is to strong to have a silly little scandal ruin it.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Maybe, maybe not. Seizing the phone records of the AP isn't helping the admin. You go after the press, the press will retaliate. 

Quoting JoJoBean8:

The love affair is to strong to have a silly little scandal ruin it.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:17 PM
3 moms liked this

A scandal is not a scandal when the press and the people just don't care. If they don't care, because it doesn't affect them personally, then in their mind it's not a scandal because it just doesn't matter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)