Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Fair Game to Disclose Names of Republicans Who Lied to ABC News

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM
  • 10 Replies

After taking her viewers through the whole, long, ugly mess with ABC's big "scoop" on the Benghazi emailsand the how the story pretty much fizzled out by the end of the week with the discovery that Republicans were responsible for doctoring the supposed quotes from the emails that they published, Rachel Maddow gave her two cents on ABC still protecting the sources who lied to them.

MADDOW: And now, part of the scandal here is a press scandal. You know what? When you get used like this and you end up publishing false information, false quotes, you have to correct it. But the bigger scandal here is not a process matter, not a press matter. There's a very stark fact that somebody in Congress right now, or somebody working for somebody in Congress right now, a staffer, concocted a big lie to try to make the White House look very desperately bad on this Benghazi scandal that they otherwise have not been able to get traction on.

Who told the lie? And a note to my journalist pals who got involved in this scandal. If your source lied to you, they are not actually a source. They are a con artist and you are their victim. It means you don't have to protect them any more. They're not a source.

When you get lied to, when you are a tool of somebody else's deception, when you get lied to, the person lying to you is no longer a source, they are news. Their lie to you is itself news and you can report that news. Republican Congressional offices shopped a false dossier as if it was a White House email. That is a story. The office and the staffers and the members of Congress maybe who did that... that is news. And if you know who it is, you can say so.

Boy do I wish they'd take her advice, but again, I'm not holding my breath.

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/heather/maddow-fair-game-disclose-names-republican

by on May. 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gludwig2000
by Gina on May. 19, 2013 at 4:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I hate to say it, but this whole thing could have been avoided if some actual investigating had happened before the rush to be the first to break a scandal. Our media has forgotten the rules of reporting and how important it is to verify and validate before hand.

kailu1835
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this
More liberals panicking. Really? We are blaming a single Whitehouse staffer for giving inaccurate information he probably didn't have access to in the first place? The whistleblowers are much more than lowly staffers.
143myboys9496
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2013 at 8:02 PM
3 moms liked this

"...somebody in Congress right now, or somebody working for somebody in Congress right now, a staffer..."

Or maybe a cleaning lady, or a cleaning lady's mother, husband. Or maybe some Congressman's nanny or nanny's boyfriend..OOORRRRR

Maybe even, somebody working in Congress' 2nd cousin's 1st born's ex-girlfriends sister's boyfriend's best friend's brother's ex-boyfriend.

Anyone else, but "king" Barry...

*smdh*

YO Barry----are we moving forward yet? What happened to transparent gov't???

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on May. 19, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Too busy trying to be first in the 24 hour news cycle

Quoting gludwig2000:

I hate to say it, but this whole thing could have been avoided if some actual investigating had happened before the rush to be the first to break a scandal. Our media has forgotten the rules of reporting and how important it is to verify and validate before hand.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gludwig2000
by Gina on May. 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Of course, because its all about the ratings now. Truth in reporting doesn't mean anything any more sadly. And the way all of them twist a story to support a political agenda is horrible, because it is now almost impossible to find a legitimate news source that isn't biased, one way or the other. What ever happened to just reporting the facts?
Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Too busy trying to be first in the 24 hour news cycle

Quoting gludwig2000:

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM
4 moms liked this
The Benghazi mess has not fizzled.
There was an email doctored and I see no reason not to disclose the offender(s).
But, there are several other of the emails AND first hand accounts that contradict the statements of the WH and surrogates. They were trying to defend today again on the Sunday shows.
Trivializing in article after article is not going to sweep this under the rug. People died - do you not get this??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Rachel Maddow, the cow.  LMAO.  That moron wouldn't know the truth and real news if it bit her in the ass.

29again
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 3:00 AM
2 moms liked this

And Rachel Madcow knows all about how to be a real journalist......  sure.  That's why she has a handful of viewers.  She is one of the worst out there, along with that Melissa person on the weekends. 

Carpy
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 5:06 AM

I have not seen evidence of this.  There are to many emails released that show the progression of the coverup.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:57 AM

But is it certain that the source is the one who doctored the emails?  It could be that someone else doctored them, left them for the source to find, and the source was just as much of a dupe as the reporters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)