Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florist counter-sues to not supply gay wedding

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 47 Replies

An interesting article and dilemma.  Washington State recently passed a law making same sex marriages legal.  They also have a law making it illegal to discriminate against protected classes and homosexuals are considered to be a protected class.  However, the State constitution has a clause in it that states "Absolute freedom of conscience in all matters of religious sentiment, belief in worship shall be guaranteed to every individual and no one shall be molested or disturbed in person or property on account of religion."

To further muddy the waters, this shop owner has known this gay man for some time.  She has sold him flowers on numerous occasions and knows that he is gay.  She turned down the request to supply flowers knowing that the flowers would be used on/in a gay wedding; citing her own religious beliefs, and the clause in the state constitution which does not force her to do something that conflicts those beliefs.

The state sued her for discriminatory actions in violation of the state law.  She is counter-suing claiming she is/was protected under the state constitution, claiming that it supersedes the state law.  What do you think?

Here is a link to one report - http://mynorthwest.com/76/2275907/Richland-florist-sued-by-state-for-refusing-gay-wedding-sues-back

by on May. 19, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hhhanna
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM

bump

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on May. 19, 2013 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this
Then the law regarding discrimination is unconstitutional. A law never trumps the constitution. In this case, a State Constitution.
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on May. 19, 2013 at 9:14 AM
4 moms liked this
Why couldn't he get flowers somewhere else?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JustCJ
by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:24 AM
4 moms liked this

Why then he wouldn't be able to make a point would he? It's absurd if you ask me, there was no reason he couldn't buy flowers somewhere else.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Why couldn't he get flowers somewhere else?

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM
3 moms liked this

The state constitution fails to protect her bigotry.

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM
2 moms liked this

This comes under public accommodation law.  She is a business serving the public.  Her political/religeous view take backseat to the public's right to be served.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on May. 19, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Not to the state's constitution.

Quoting BaronSamedi:

This comes under public accommodation law.  She is a business serving the public.  Her political/religeous view take backseat to the public's right to be served.

grambo91
by New Member on May. 19, 2013 at 3:17 PM
7 moms liked this
Well as a Christian, she doesn't agree with supplying a gay marriage ceremony, and she has that right. He could have found flowers somewhere else. It's not fair to force her to go against her religious beliefs and except something her belief system does not accept.

Just because the gay community is expanding their playground does not mean that the Christians should have to accept it.

I'm by no means a homophobe, live and let live, but I think it's extremely hypocritical to make a Christian agree with gay marriage.
gludwig2000
by Gina on May. 19, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I don't see why she is being sued, and I personally feel that I wouldn't want to spend my money someplace that is so vehemently against me. I understand its the state suing her, but she has rights also.

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM
2 moms liked this
A business owner can refuse a job.
For instance, we had a lawn service come to the house a few weeks ago. They advertise they offer free estimates. We invited the service to provide us an estimate for redoing our lawn. They took measurements, soil sample, left and then sent us a letter stating they had determined not to bid our project and would not be supplying us an estimate. So we are using a different service. It may deal with our location, our sexuality, our races.... who knows, they do not need to site a reason for turning down business. The florist should have simply stated they would not take the wedding on.
I think the State and Federal Government needs to stay out of business. Businesses should not be forced to sell their services to anyone. No I do not believe discrimination is a good thing, nor sweeping it under the rug and keeping it hidden. But I also do not believe she has an issue with gay people, or selling to homosexuals, she has an issue with gay marriage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)