Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Heritage Foundation Letter to Congress GOP: Don’t Legislate, Just Distract Americans.

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:09 AM
  • 8 Replies

Confirming that today’s Republican Party has completely lost its bearings and is entirely beholden to corporations and far-right Tea Party ideology, NBC news has obtained a leaked letter sent by the Heritage Foundation to Republican members of Congress basically ordering them to completely disavow the responsibility of governing and continue to manufacture scandals in order to deflect attention from their own ideological extremism.

The letter, which is specifically addressed to House Speaker John Boehner and House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, glorifies the negative media hype surrounding the White House, saying that, “For the first time, the activities of the Obama administration are receiving a sustained public vetting.  Americans’ outrage over Benghazi is amplified by the Internal Revenue Service’s intimidation of conservative grassroots organizations and a cascade of negative headlines.  There is the real sense the Obama administration has been less than forthright with the American people, the press and lawmakers.”

Focusing on the media scrutiny surrounding the Obama administration, and to distract Americans from the many issues where the Republicans don’t all agree, the letter urges, “It is incumbent upon the House of Representatives to conduct oversight hearings on those actions, but it would be imprudent to do anything that shifts the focus from the Obama administration to the ideological differences within the House Republican Conference.”

“To that end, we urge you to avoid bringing any legislation to the House Floor that could expose or highlight major schisms within the conference.  Legislation such as the Internet sales tax or the FARRM Act which contains nearly $800 billion in food stamp spending, would give the press a reason to shift their attention away from the failures of the Obama administration to write another ‘circular firing squad’ article.”

The letter is signed by Heritage Action’s Chief Executive Officer, Michael A. Needham.

The FAARM Act, commonly known as the farm bill and is very important to representatives from rural states, is finding its way through the House of Representatives. Democrats are overwhelmingly in favor o its passage, but progressives sounded the alarm this week when word leaked that the bill would end up cutting the foodstamp program, which is administered by the Department of Agriculture, in order to lure spending-adverse Republicans into voting for it.

It is safe to assume that, with the almighty Heritage Foundation “scoring” all Republican congressmen according to “compliance” with their far right positions, not even with these cuts to the vital foodstamp program will ensure the FARRM Act’s passage.

While America remains in a slow recovery from the deep jobs crisis brought on by the Bush Recession, House Republicans continue to focus one third of all congressional committees on investigating some facet of the Obama administration.

If the recent directive from The Heritage Foundation is any indication, they don’t intend to pull their feet off the gas anytime soon. With the help of the mainstream media, they will continue to manufacture crisis after crisis in order to stop Pres. Obama’s congressional agenda, deflect attention from the fact that the Democratic Party is shrinking the deficit, and to distract from their own ideological extremism. Let’s hope the American public is paying attention and sends the Tea Party/Heritage Foundation House packing in 2014.

Read the full text of the letter here:

Dear Speaker Boehner and Leader Cantor:

For the first time, the activities of the Obama administration are receiving a sustained public vetting.  Americans’ outrage over Benghazi is amplified by the Internal Revenue Service’s intimidation of conservative grassroots organizations and a cascade of negative headlines.  There is the real sense the Obama administration has been less than forthright with the American people, the press and lawmakers.

Recent events have rightly focused the nation’s attention squarely on the actions of the Obama administration. It is incumbent upon the House of Representatives to conduct oversight hearings on those actions, but it would be imprudent to do anything that shifts the focus from the Obama administration to the ideological differences within the House Republican Conference.

To that end, we urge you to avoid bringing any legislation to the House Floor that could expose or highlight major schisms within the conference. Legislation such as the Internet sales tax or the FARRM Act which contains nearly $800 billion in food stamp spending, would give the press a reason to shift their attention away from the failures of the Obama administration to write another “circular firing squad” article.

Make no mistake, principled conservatives will still oppose bad policy if it comes to the floor.  Rather than scheduling such legislation for consideration, we urge you to keep the attention focused squarely on the Obama administration. As the public’s trust in their government continues to erode, it is incumbent upon those of us who support a smaller, less intrusive government to lead.

Sincerely,

Michael A. Needham
Chief Executive Officer
Heritage Action for America

http://thegrio.com/2013/05/16/heritage-to-republicans-dont-legislate-just-scandalize-obama/

by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
JustCJ
by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM
3 moms liked this

LOL

It is fun watching the liberals panic!

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM

The GOP has been self destructing since the TeaBagger got in.  Old line conservatives hsave been pushed aside for the greedy and foolish.

gludwig2000
by Gina on May. 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Our Government has been in the 'distraction' game for a long time, and its not just the Republicans. Lets face it, the longer we are distracted, the more they get to pull while we aren't looking. THis is why I would love to see all of the finger pointing and partisan crap stop, from both sides. Once we stop fighting amongst ourselves, we will have a clearer idea of what is really going on in the government, and they don't want that.

JustCJ
by on May. 19, 2013 at 6:50 PM

For a while I have thought you were a fence rider. I'm coming around to changing my mind about that. You see a different picture...I like that.

Quoting gludwig2000:

Our Government has been in the 'distraction' game for a long time, and its not just the Republicans. Lets face it, the longer we are distracted, the more they get to pull while we aren't looking. THis is why I would love to see all of the finger pointing and partisan crap stop, from both sides. Once we stop fighting amongst ourselves, we will have a clearer idea of what is really going on in the government, and they don't want that.

susan115
by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I think you are correct.  The name calling has to stop.

Quoting gludwig2000:

JanuaryBaby06
by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Quoting gludwig2000:

Once we stop fighting amongst ourselves, we will have a clearer idea of what is really going on in the government, and they don't want that.

AGREE AGREE AGREE. This is exactly how I feel :D
gludwig2000
by Gina on May. 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol, if you thought I was a fence rider because I'm not "rah rah Republican" or "rah rah Democrat" then thank you, I consider that a compliment. Seriously though, I try to think things through, and I try to consider other sources other than those provided strictly by my party, because I know that they ALL have an agenda, and yeah, they don't want any of us really looking at what they are doing.
Quoting JustCJ:

For a while I have thought you were a fence rider. I'm coming around to changing my mind about that. You see a different picture...I like that.

Quoting gludwig2000:

gludwig2000
by Gina on May. 19, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this
In my opinion, we are doing exactly what they want from us, every time we point a finger at the other party, or jump on the band wagon of the party bus and repeat what they've told us, because that means that we are too distracted to pay attention. Our government have had decades to perfect the "slight of hand" trick to keep us occupied and out of their hair. That is why it needs to stop, because we are smarter than that.
Quoting susan115:

I think you are correct.  The name calling has to stop.

Quoting gludwig2000:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN