Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Mitch McConnell Defends Obama Administration On AP Scandal

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:12 PM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

WASHINGTON -- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Sunday appeared to defend the Obama administration's controversial leak investigation into the Associated Press -- an inquiry that sparked outrage after the Department of Justice subpoenaed personal and work telephone records for at least 20 of the news organization's reporters and editors.

The AP has openly questioned the legality of DOJ's actions, and civil liberties advocates have decried them as a violation of the First Amendment right to a free press.

But during an appearance on NBC's "Meet The Press," McConnell declined to attack the administration over the issue.

"Actually, I do think these national security leaks are very important and it looks to me like this is an investigation that needs to happen because national security leaks, of course, can get our agents overseas killed," McConnell said.

The AP reported in May 2012 that the CIA had thwarted a plot by an al-Qaeda affiliate to bomb a U.S.-bound airplane. It was later revealed that the would-be bomber was a U.S. spy, and the news put an end to the ongoing CIA operation. The Justice Department investigation is thought to have occurred as a result.

When pressed by host David Gregory about whether DOJ's conduct in the matter should be reviewed, McConnell reiterated that he was concerned about the leak itself. He did not criticize the administration on First Amendment grounds.

"What I am supportive of is investigating national security leaks that endanger Americans around the world," McConnell said. "Any time you're leaking national security information, if it endangers Americans around the world, it's a serious matter."

The Obama administration has aggressively pursued leaks and prosecuted leakers, and it helped derail a reporter shield bill in 2009 that would have protected journalists from revealing their sources to prosecutors. While early versions of the bill had included a narrow exemption for "terrorist" threats, the White House demanded a broad exemption for "national security" matters and a host of other provisions granting prosecutors access to information reporters uncover. The administration eventually backed a much weaker shield law with a broad national security loophole that did not protect reporter notes and other work records.

by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
susan115
by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

As a republican, I disagree.  Now, if I was a liberal, I won't be "allowed" to disagree.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:49 PM
3 moms liked this

I completely and totally disagree with this.

Many of our presidents have had scandals and misbehaviors exposed via leaks for years. Why is Barry exempt?

I'm a bit surprised tho, the media supports, defends and supresses info in Barry's favor, bugging the AP is akin to biting the hand that feeds him.

JustCJ
by on May. 19, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I was thinking the same thing. It's pathetic really.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Many of our presidents have had scandals and misbehaviors exposed via leaks for years. Why is Barry exempt?

I'm a bit surprised tho, the media supports, defends and supresses info in Barry's favor, bugging the AP is akin to biting the hand that feeds him.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on May. 19, 2013 at 8:39 PM
There was no bugging involved

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on May. 19, 2013 at 8:39 PM
More untruths

Quoting susan115:

As a republican, I disagree.  Now, if I was a liberal, I won't be "allowed" to disagree.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
143myboys9496
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Sorry, you're right, I had read they were "tapped", I apparently missed an update. I changed it in red.

Still doesn't erase the fact that Barry is now apparantly cutting out his "friends"....

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

There was no bugging involved

Quoting 143myboys9496:

I'm a bit surprised tho, the media supports, defends and supresses info in Barry's favor, bugging having seizing the work and PRIVATE phone records of AP employees is akin to biting the hand that feeds him.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

What a silly statement.  Pray tell, who doesn't allow me to disagree?

Quoting susan115:

joey125
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I remember all the hoopla going on about the leaks,  an investigation was conducted and now who is complaining about the investigation,   the very same people who were complaining about the leaks.  The patriot act allowed this to go on, and yes it was renewed  under President Obama.  As a citizen of this country I am perplexed to say the least on who the hell to believe.  Do we want out freedom the way it was before 9/11 or do we want to protect ourselves from being attacked again.  I would think most would agree with the latter

Lorik1969
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:47 PM
I voted for him, and I disagree. Is some liberal group supposed to "come and get me" now?

Quoting susan115:

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:51 PM
3 moms liked this
To me, it sounded like good ole Mitch was walking a political line - he agreed the investigation happened, yet he never said he supported the method used to investigate, completing a perfect DC two-step.
I agree with him that leaks of this magnitude should be investigated, yet I believe the investigator overstepped by seizing so many records, including home phones. The net was too wide when they had a short list of suspects. So, I believe their was misuse or abuse of power.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)