Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In Unanimous Vote, Russia Passes Bill Making It Illegal To Tell Kids Gay People Exist

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:48 AM
  • 20 Replies

Russian lawmakers pass anti-gay bill in 436-0 vote

by DAVID BADASH on JUNE 11, 2013

in CIVIL RIGHTS,NEWS,POLITICS

Editor’s note: As this story was published, Russia passed the bill by a unanimous vote, 434-0.
Original story follows:

Russia today is voting on a Vladimir Putin supported bill that makes it illegal to tell children gay people exist or that homosexuality is equal to heterosexuality, and provides for fines, jail time, and deportation for those who violate the law.

LOOK: Anti-Gay Violence Breaks Out In Moscow As Russia Criminalizes Telling Kids Gays Exist (Video, Photos)

“The bill provides for Russian citizens engaged in the ‘propaganda of non-traditional sexual orientation’ to be fined, while foreigners could be arrested and immediately deported,” The Independent UK reports:

In recent weeks there have been two killings in which homophobia appears to have played at least a part, and the loose language of the law suggests that even services such as counselling for gay teenagers, or safe-sex advice, could theoretically be deemed illegal.

If the Duma passes the law in its key second reading, it could come into force by the end of the month.

A number of regions have already adopted a similar law, and now MPs from President Vladimir Putin’s United Russia party want to implement a nationwide ban on “gay propaganda”.

The law defines the rather nebulous concept as “spreading information aimed at forming non- traditional sexual behaviour among children, suggesting this behaviour is attractive, and making a false statement about the socially equal nature of traditional and non-traditional relationships”.

“Gay activists gathered outside the parliament ahead of the vote and kissed in public but were outnumbered by several hundred supporters of the bill, some carrying religious icons,” AFP adds:

A police spokesman said around 20 were detained in scuffles.
“Traditional sexual relations are relations between a man and a woman,” one of the bill’s authors, Yelena Mizulina of the left-leaning, Kremlin-friendly A Just Russia party, told lawmakers.

“These relations need special protection from the government.”

UPDATE 10:20 AM EDT: As noted above, the bill passed as this story was published. The AP notes:

The bill still needs to be approved by the appointed upper house and signed into law by President Vladimir Putin, but neither step is in doubt.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/russian-parliament-vote-anti-gay-bill

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
survivorinohio
by Rene on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Wow, how is that going to work?

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I was wondering that also.

Kids hear everything, and if there by chance happens to be a situation where they over hear homophobia slurs, or has tendencies their self they will start asking questions, and parents will have to have that talk sooner or later.

Im assuming its illegal for gays to live together over there. I'll have to check that out.

Quoting survivorinohio:

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:10 AM

You'd think with rising health care costs and increased cancer because of Chernobyl, Russia would have more important things to worry about.

SherryBerry106
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Their version of the NSA overhears someone promoting gay-ness, they arrest them and imprison them.

To me it sounds like a good idea.

When I am President after I use the NSA and the IRS to destroy anyone that has ever stated Progressive was a good idea, I will start working on that whole "gay" nonsense.

Now it is so clear how to do it, (and the libs crying discrimination will have no affect on me)

Thanks for the blueprint OBAMA!

Quoting survivorinohio:

JanuaryBaby06
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:57 AM

This doesnt surprise me. They were basically payng people to have kids at one point. They havent been near replacemnt value in awhile so not surpising that they are aggressively pushing for couples that atleast have a chance at pro-creating. Seems like an odd way to go about it though.

Billiejeens
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

The replacement of population might be 1 reason.

The main reason is that they have witnessed how societies go to hell when just anything goes.

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

This doesnt surprise me. They were basically payng people to have kids at one point. They havent been near replacemnt value in awhile so not surpising that they are aggressively pushing for couples that atleast have a chance at pro-creating. Seems like an odd way to go about it though.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Ridiculous.

SherryBerry106
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Why is it ridiculous?

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Ridiculous.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Well, for starters, I believe in freedom of speech.  I get that not everyone does.  But I do, so I find laws regarding what people can and can't talk about ridiculous.

Quoting SherryBerry106:

Why is it ridiculous?

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Ridiculous.

survivorinohio
by Rene on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Thanks for the obvious, I was referring to the bigger  picture.  There will inevidably be a lot of convictions but hey maybe they will give us a run for our money in the incarceration rate.

It sounds like a good idea?

When are you running?

I think that homosexuality is here to stay, it has been a very long time element of human nature.  You dont have to think its *right*, I am not even sure of how I think about it in that light but what two consenting  adults do is their business really.  Perhaps the missionary style should be outlawed or oral sex, after all oral sex eliminates the possibility of conception.

No, you cannot mandate sexuality beyond the scope of preventing and dealing with sexual violence that is.

Good luck lol.

Quoting SherryBerry106:

Their version of the NSA overhears someone promoting gay-ness, they arrest them and imprison them.

To me it sounds like a good idea.

When I am President after I use the NSA and the IRS to destroy anyone that has ever stated Progressive was a good idea, I will start working on that whole "gay" nonsense.

Now it is so clear how to do it, (and the libs crying discrimination will have no affect on me)

Thanks for the blueprint OBAMA!

Quoting survivorinohio:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)