Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Fema Refuses to Provied Aid to West Texas Town after Explosion.

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:20 PM
  • 29 Replies

As seen on Happening Now

FEMA is refusing to provide money to help rebuild West, Texas. The small Texas town was devastated when a deadly fertilizer plant explosion destroyed numerous homes and killed 15 people.

FEMA’s response to the request for financial assistance says that the explosion is “not of the severity and magnitude that warrants a major disaster declaration.”

In a memorial service for the first responders who died in the blast, President Obama said, “We will be there even after the cameras leave and after the attention turns elsewhere. Your country will remain ever ready to help you recover and rebuild and reclaim your community.”

Individuals who live in West, Texas have been getting money from FEMA but the mayor of the town said that $57 million is needed to fix roads, a sewage system, and a school.

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcangel63
by Amanda on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:23 PM
FEMA's a joke.
kcangel63
by Amanda on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Not a funny one either.

Quoting kcangel63:

FEMA's a joke.
JustCJ
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I'm thinking it's a money hole for something else.

Quoting kcangel63:

Not a funny one either.

Quoting kcangel63:

FEMA's a joke.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Usually is. :(

Quoting JustCJ:

Quoting kcangel63:

Not a funny one either.

Quoting kcangel63:

FEMA's a joke.

erika9009
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Of course they don't get aid.

Texas will get denied most of the time for anything as they did not cow tow to Obama. 

This certainly cannot be a shocker to anyone.  Now, what would be a shock is if something happened in Austin, TX where there's a bed of liberals.   They would still get denied, but the liberals would all be standing there with their jaws open wondering why Obama isn't there saving them.

From what I have experienced in TX, most strive to be self sufficient.  Also, there is a lot of people willing to help each other out in TX.  They won't wait for the government.

survivorinohio
by Rene on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I tend to agree with you on this.

Quoting JustCJ:

Quoting kcangel63:

Not a funny one either.

Quoting kcangel63:

FEMA's a joke.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM
3 moms liked this

I live in the Houston area.  The day after the explosion, a local business (Gallery Furniture) had provided 5 18 Wheeler's to be loaded with necessities.  Three truck loads were filled with donations and hit the road by 5:00 pm, two more went the next day.  Now that's just Houston.  I'm sure the rest of the state followed suit.

Quoting erika9009:

Texas will get denied most of the time for anything as they did not cow tow to Obama. 

This certainly cannot be a shocker to anyone.  Now, what would be a shock is if something happened in Austin, TX where there's a bed of liberals.   They would still get denied, but the liberals would all be standing there with their jaws open wondering why Obama isn't there saving them.

From what I have experienced in TX, most strive to be self sufficient.  Also, there is a lot of people willing to help each other out in TX.  They won't wait for the government.

autodidact
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Is West suing the owners of the plant that exploded?

erika9009
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

That's great to hear.

It would have been even better to hear that some FEMA truck were right behind those Gallery Furniture trucks.  However, that is my fantasy dream world.  You know the world where my body looks like it did at 18 before I had 4 kids.......

Quoting lylalane7275:

I live in the Houston area.  The day after the explosion, a local business (Gallery Furniture) had provided 5 18 Wheeler's to be loaded with necessities.  Three truck loads were filled with donations and hit the road by 5:00 pm, two more went the next day.  Now that's just Houston.  I'm sure the rest of the state followed suit.

Quoting erika9009:

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM
2 moms liked this

"Seems to me that the owners of the plant, with their gross negligence, should be responsible for 100% of the rebuilding costs. FEMA can step in for natural disasters or acts of terrorism where there is no hope of restitution.

Besides, since when is it the Texas way to ask the federal government for money?"

HMMMmmmm...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN