Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

The Paula Deen Scandal

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM
  • 102 Replies

What are your thoughts on the Paula Deen scandal?

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KamWorthy
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:24 PM
10 moms liked this
The simple, un-muddied truth is this....Paula Deen is being crucified in the media because a disgruntled former employee attemped to blackmail her and her brother. She was told by this woman (white), to "either pay up or be ruined". When she refused, the woman made good on her threats. Paula was giving a deposition to a lawyer in the civil case. She refused to lie under oath when asked if she ever used the "N" word in the past. Before Paula was ever a chef, before anyone ever knew her name, she worked at a bank where she was robbed and held at gunpoint by a black man. She said soon afterwards when she would describe this man to friends and family, she referred to him as a N*****. Due to her southern upbringing and the era from which she comes, in her mind this man fit that definition at the time. Then several years later, she was planning her brothers wedding, a themed wedding. The idea was an Ol'Georgia Plantation, pre-Civil War wedding complete with an all black wait staff. After thinking on this and that it might be insensative to some, the idea was aborted. Now the Food Network has fired her, not for the allegations made by the former disgruntled employee, but for the fact that she told the truth when asked had she ever used the "N" word. This sort of blatant reverse discrimination is happening NOW! And if you as an American are OK with this, then you'd better be ready to have it happen to you. Because big brother is watching and recording everything you do and say, and don't think your past is excempt either. Paula Deen is proof that it isn't.
valhallaarwen
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:35 PM
3 moms liked this

I think it is stupid and a set up to get rid of her.  If she treated someone like crap at the job then deal with it, but to me I feel that someone had it out for Paula.  I feel bad for her and honestly I don't give a damn if she said N...  I don't think it is a southern thing btw, all kinds of folks use the word regardless of where you live.  But I think it is wrong, and I am glad that Paula didn't lie about it. If I was her, I would sue the crap out of Food TV.  I like watching her show when I do, but I gotta be honest, I think they have been trying to get rid of her when she had the diabetes thing too which I also though was stupid.

Luvnlogic
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Is she being fired or not having her contract renewed? If she's being fired, there must be some morals clause in her contract that allows FN to part ways if she compromises the integrity of their brand. If they're not renewing cuz they're tired of battling her controversies, that's up to them. The nature of contract work. I haven't heard all the testimony in order to decide how I personally feel about it...but I love her recipes and use them when I'm in the mood for no apologies comfort food!! Mmmm, butter.
gludwig2000
by Gina on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:46 PM
5 moms liked this

I think that this whole thing has been blown out of proportion. She is older than I am, and I've used the word. I remember when I was about 6, my mother over heard myself and my brother playing "eeny, meeny, miny moe" and she corrected us and taught us the meaning of the word after we repeated what we had always heard. I wish I could say that was the last time I used it, but it wasn't. As a matter of fact, before the "reclaiming" of the word, back in the 80's in Miami, it was quite often used towards those of many races, basically as a way of putting men down. Its not a word that I use now, and it was never a word that I used towards black people, but I am guilty of using it also, and I think that many, many people are as well, especially if they are older.

lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:54 PM
3 moms liked this

They said they were not renewing her contract.  She should not have said it but I think the viewers are the one's really being punished.  She has plenty of money and will be fine, but I think she really is sorry.  Does the punishment fit the crime, I'm not sure.

Quoting Luvnlogic:

Is she being fired or not having her contract renewed? If she's being fired, there must be some morals clause in her contract that allows FN to part ways if she compromises the integrity of their brand. If they're not renewing cuz they're tired of battling her controversies, that's up to them. The nature of contract work. I haven't heard all the testimony in order to decide how I personally feel about it...but I love her recipes and use them when I'm in the mood for no apologies comfort food!! Mmmm, butter.

Luvnlogic
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks. And I agree that she'll be fine...maybe another network will decide the value she brings is worth the drama. Until then, I'll still be pulling up her Mac n cheese recipe online! :)

Quoting lylalane7275:

They said they were not renewing her contract.  She should not have said it but I think the viewers are the one's really being punished.  She has plenty of money and will be fine, but I think she really is sorry.  Does the punishment fit the crime, I'm not sure.

Quoting Luvnlogic:

joey125
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd say give her a break, she apologized.  It is a word that should not be used, she admitted to it, so let's move on

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Yikes.

Sounds like she used, and tolerated bigoted statements in the workplace. The description of the waiters at the wedding makes me ill.

Food Network did what they had to.

Bill Maher makes a good point. If there is zero tolerance for Paula Deen, there should also be zero tolerance for rappers. 

Why is one OK and one not?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:20 AM
4 moms liked this

A number of news organizations have been ridiculing conservatives in wake of the Paula Deen situation.

But Paula Deen is a Democrat, an Obama supporter, and campaigned for him in 2008.

Interesting.

Rampgirl04
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:33 AM
4 moms liked this

I don't think she should've ever gotten fired for what she said. That is ridiculous. Poltical Correctness at it's finest (((Sarcastically Said on my part))). However it is what it is and i think this Political Correctness Cr*p is going too far. I mean who gives a flying **** what this wonderful woman said, big deal.

Well this is what I think of the whole ordeal of it..........................

BTW OP this isn't directed at you this is directed at all who want to paint the sweet woman as racist and call her names.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)