Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Texas Lawmaker Calls Wendy Davis A Terrorist For Blocking Anti-Abortion Bill

Posted by   + Show Post

Credit: AP

Late last night, a Republican lawmaker compared Texas state Sen. Wendy Davis (D) and the crowd of her supporters to terrorists. Davis gained national attention and admirers overnight for launching an epic 13-hour filibuster that successfully blocked a restrictive abortion bill from becoming law. Once Republicans failed to pass SB 5, an omnibus bill to ban abortion after 20 weeks and shut down most of the state’s abortion clinics, Rep. Bill Zedler (R) tweeted:

In addition to voting for the 20 week abortion ban in the Texas House, Zedler’s record includes requiring women to undergo an ultrasound and report their education history before being able to have an abortion.

Meanwhile, Lt. Gov David Dewhurst described the crowd that cheered Davis on as “an unruly mob, using Occupy Wall Street tactics” that “disrupted the Senate from protecting unborn babies.” For the record, this is what the protests in the capitol building looked like:

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Replies (11-19):
JanuaryBaby06
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

You can say that we are a Democracy because we vote representatives in to handle our democratic votes. But because our population is too dense we are fundamentally unable to have a true democracy (where every person's vote matters on every single issue). We are a Democratic Repulic. The fact that ordinary citizens were able to let their voices be heard in a capitol building is one step closer to an actual democracy....which is great by the way.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

Well, I am pretty happy that they managed to block it, but that was aittle close for comfort.

Why do you hate Democracy?

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

so you are for mob rule
JanuaryBaby06
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:38 PM

if by mob rule you mean actual democracy, then yes, yes i am.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

You can say that we are a Democracy because we vote representatives in to handle our democratic votes. But because our population is too dense we are fundamentally unable to have a true democracy (where every person's vote matters on every single issue). We are a Democratic Repulic. The fact that ordinary citizens were able to let their voices be heard in a capitol building is one step closer to an actual democracy....which is great by the way.

so you are for mob rule

Debrowsky
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:15 AM

it's a sad day in the history of this country when the 'voice of the people' cry out for the death of innocent lives.   Pure selfishness.

nothing here to be proud of.

Quoting NWP:

I have to say it was very exciting to see how this played out on social media and and twitter, filling the house with people who want their voices heard by their representatives to actually represent them.

Good for this....More people should be aware and have a voice in what their government tries to pass in the late hours of a session.

Yeah!

NWP
by Guerilla Girl on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I support your choice to feel that way. Too bad you wish to use government to deny others their choice to think differently than you.

Quoting Debrowsky:

it's a sad day in the history of this country when the 'voice of the people' cry out for the death of innocent lives.   Pure selfishness.

Quoting NWP:

I have to say it was very exciting to see how this played out on social media and and twitter, filling the house with people who want their voices heard by their representatives to actually represent them.

Good for this....More people should be aware and have a voice in what their government tries to pass in the late hours of a session.

Yeah!

Debrowsky
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I think it sad too that we have to end up with the government getting their grubby paws into issues that should be accomplished by the individuals themselves.  
I think it sad too, that there has to be a 'different view' on the value of human life and thinking that we have the 'right' to snuff out innocent lives for the sake of our own convenience.

I think the twists and turns this has taken is a sad testimony of moms and dads, who instead of fighting for and preserving life,  fight for it's brutal ending.

A shameful showdown

Quoting NWP:

I support your choice to feel that way. Too bad you wish to use government to deny others their choice to think differently than you.

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting NWP:

Yeah!

NWP
by Guerilla Girl on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I completely agree with you on the part in red.

I support your legal right to choose to feel the way you do in the rest of your statement in black but need to point out the hypocrisy/conflict of the juxtaposition of your attempt to use government's grubby paws to do something that should be up to the individual themselves.

Quoting Debrowsky:

I think it sad too that we have to end up with the government getting their grubby paws into issues that should be accomplished by the individuals themselves.  
I think it sad too, that there has to be a 'different view' on the value of human life and thinking that we have the 'right' to snuff out innocent lives for the sake of our own convenience.

I think the twists and turns this has taken is a sad testimony of moms and dads, who instead of fighting for and preserving life,  fight for it's brutal ending.

A shameful showdown

Quoting NWP:

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting NWP:

Yeah!

Neon Washable Paint

Debrowsky
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

What I'm trying to convey, is that the government should not have been involved in the first place.  where is that first place?   It is goes back to those men and women thinking they had the right to violently end an innocent, voiceless life, many years ago, by forcing a law to be established which would protect them.  Now, to counter that first act so as to protect the right and life of the innocent, another law has to come into place to do so.   If people would make life giving decisions from the beginning, none of this would be taking place right now.

All of this is generated by and resting on the heads of those who want to kill babies.

Quoting NWP:

I support your legal right to choose to feel the way you do in the rest of your statement in black but need to point out the hypocrisy/conflict of the juxtaposition of your attempt to use government's grubby paws to do something that should be up to the individual themselves.

Quoting Debrowsky:

A shameful showdown

Quoting NWP:

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting NWP:

Yeah!

NWP
by Guerilla Girl on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:23 PM
I will agree that politicians and government should have no business interceding in the personal reproductive business of individual citizens.

Quoting Debrowsky:

What I'm trying to convey, is that the government should not have been involved in the first place.  where is that first place?   It is goes back to those men and women thinking they had the right to violently end an innocent, voiceless life, many years ago, by forcing a law to be established which would protect them.  Now, to counter that first act so as to protect the right and life of the innocent, another law has to come into place to do so.   If people would make life giving decisions from the beginning, none of this would be taking place right now.

All of this is generated by and resting on the heads of those who want to kill babies.

Quoting NWP:

Quoting Debrowsky:

A shameful showdown

Quoting NWP:

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting NWP:

Yeah!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN