Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Smart or creepy? - 'Gay Man Adopts His Partner to Avoid Inheritance Tax'

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM
  • 29 Replies

Poll

Question: Smart or Creepy

Options:

Smart

Creepy

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 18

View Results

Gay Man Adopts His Partner to Avoid Inheritance Tax

John, who is 65, adopted his gay partner, who is 73, because the couple wanted financial protection when one of them dies.
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trippyhippy
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I think it's awesome!  Good for them.

Donna6503
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Just a question, if he adopts him died that prevent then from going to New York to get married?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ExecutiveChick
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:31 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm not attacking you here, just curious but do you think it's "awesome" every time wealthy people use whatever tactics they can to lower their tax liability?

Do/did you think it was "awesome" that Mitt Romney used tax loopholes to pay the leat amount of taxes possible? Because there were a lot of Cafe Mom'ers who were all worked up in a frenzy about his use of tax loopholes.

Quoting trippyhippy:

JustCJ
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:45 PM

They do this wayyyy more often. My mother in law was married before she married my husbands father...turns out, he was gay (and fucking child molester but yehhhh) so anyway he died of cancer a few years ago and his partner got in another relationship and adopted him.

Luvnlogic
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Good for them. Either tax all inheritance or none...why should your relationship to the beneficiary matter!?!
Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:57 PM

This is downright sick.    AMERICA, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

The opening of Pandora's box

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jun. 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM
I think it's smart. I think it's awesome they found the loophole. It doesn't make them father & son in anything more than name on a legal paper. Just like how legal marriage is really nothing more than a legal paper.

HAHAHA! Too awesome!
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Sounds like he took a page from Liberace's way of thinking..

trippyhippy
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

This is different in my eyes.  If their state wasn't discriminating against them for being gay they would be married and not having to go to such extremes.  Also I am not against Romney using the loopholes, I'm against the loopholes existing.

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

I'm not attacking you here, just curious but do you think it's "awesome" every time wealthy people use whatever tactics they can to lower their tax liability?

Do/did you think it was "awesome" that Mitt Romney used tax loopholes to pay the leat amount of taxes possible? Because there were a lot of Cafe Mom'ers who were all worked up in a frenzy about his use of tax loopholes.

Quoting trippyhippy:

trippyhippy
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

What have we done?  We've discriminated against a class of people so badly that they are forced to go to such extremes to have equal treatment.

Quoting Debrowsky:

This is downright sick.    AMERICA, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

The opening of Pandora's box

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)