Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

5 Reasons Sen. Wendy Davis Needs Us to Keep Standing With Her to Beat Anti-Abortion Bill

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:55 AM
  • 10 Replies

5 Reasons Sen. Wendy Davis Needs Us to Keep Standing With Her to Beat Anti-Abortion Bill

by Maressa Brown

wendy davis speaks out against rick perry commentsTexas Sen. Wendy Davis (D) became a hero this week when she took the floor of the Texas senate for nearly 13 hours to filibuster a bill that would have closed nearly all of the abortion clinics in the state. When she managed to postpone the vote, and the bill -- Texas SB5 -- was declared dead. We hailed her efforts and celebrated her 'til the cows came home, but now, it looks like advocates of the extreme bill -- including Republican Gov. Rick Perry -- are waging a full-on war of words and politics on Davis and the Texas Dems, vowing to get the bill passed in another special session.

That said, it's become painfully clear that the fight is clearly not even close to over ... Here, five reasons why we have to keep standing with Sen. Davis.

1. Round 2 is coming up. Gov. Perry has called for a new special session of the legislature, which would prioritize that abortion legislation again. The session is set to kick off on Monday, and this time, the bill has a better chance of passing. Guh.
  2. Davis has gone to great lengths to stand up for us. In a perfect world, elect officials do our bidding and act in our best interest, and then, we show our support and gratitude for them by voting them back into office or by making donations, voicing it on social media, etc. Now that she's got round 2 coming up, Texans who support her efforts have to do everything they can to make their voices heard. Davis herself has made an appeal to the public by saying, "I expect that [citizens are] going to do everything they can to ensure their voices are heard again in this next special session. I only hope that people will listen.”
  3. The filibuster couldn't have been possible without the power of the people. Hundreds of protesters made all the difference in blocking the legislation -- both by testifying against it for hours and by creating a ruckus in the capitol “Ultimately in that last 15 minutes of the evening, it became the People’s Filibuster,” Davis explained to MSNBC. So it's going to be up to the protesters and Davis's supporters once again. 
  4. Davis has now been attacked as the daughter of a single mother and once-teen mom. In all his wisdom, Gov. Perry went after the Democratic Senator at the National Right to Life Convention, stating, "Even the woman who filibustered the Senate the other day was born into difficult circumstances. ... It is just unfortunate that she hasn’t learned from her own example that every life must be given a chance to realize its full potential and that every life matters." Uh ... huh. OR,  perhaps she even better understands what sorts of difficulties lie ahead for women who aren't prepared to be single or teen moms and wants women in either (or both) of those boats to have a CHOICE. As she noted in her response to the press, she's grateful she "had the privilege of making a choice about the path I chose for my life." That's what this is about. What Gov. Perry and his likeminded colleagues seem to forget that advocates of choice aren't big huge fans of terminating pregnancies. We're merely saying women should have a SAY in the matter and potential access to safe, legal abortion. Which is what this bill would pretty much strip away.
  5. Standing with Sen. Davis could mean the Governor's House isn't far off. If she is successful once again, she may have an even stronger case to run for higher office -- Gov. of Texas. People have already signed onto a petition asking her to run, and they’ve even begun collecting money for her campaign!

Will you be following the continued fight over this bill in Texas?

by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:57 AM
3 moms liked this

I'll be following but as a non-Texan I can't really do very much.

I admire her guts.  I think she will pay dearly in Texas for her convictions.

I think that's a shame, for her and for Texas both.

mikiemom
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

agreed, she is a bright spot in the muck and filth that is Texas politics

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Gee, I wonder if she'll get a personal congratulatory call from Obama...ala Sandra Fluk.

susan115
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:37 PM
2 moms liked this

I will not stand up for a very, very, silly, irresponsible woman.  You, liberal women, keep telling me how smart you are, then why do you need abortions?  Abortions are for those life is in danger or a scared 17 yr. old., not a woman who doesn't want to be bothered.  Stop playing games and go if you don't want children, go see a doctor and talk about you options and teach that to the poor.  Stop playing political games and start telling the truth!

susan115
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:37 PM

she is irresponsible and trying to make a name for herself.

Quoting mikiemom:

agreed, she is a bright spot in the muck and filth that is Texas politics

29again
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:41 PM
2 moms liked this

IDK.  According to what she says, her mother should been a prime example of a woman needing an abortion.  So, to me, her argument falls way flat.  I don't see a thing wrong with the limits the state wants to put on abortions, except that they don't go quite far enough for me personally.  I will not stand with her, beside her, or be anywhere NEAR her.

JanetMonroe1991
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I am going to send her money, even though I don't live in Texas. That is about the only thing I can do to help her. 

NWP
by Guerilla Girl on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:09 AM

The ignorant assumptions the "pro life" movement has about pro choice still astound me and idk why. 

JanuaryBaby06
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Absolutely!!! I know this bill will probably get passed but I'm praying people will voice their displeasure at the voting booth come next election and work on rectifying this law. Hopefully woman will stand up and kick the state of TX out of their Medical decisions.

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I haven't been following this story. Off to google. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)