Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Zimmerman trial: Some say jurors should convict, even if not guilty, just to prevent riots

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:19 PM
  • 40 Replies

The stage was set as soon as the death of Trayvon Martin become national news and hordes of race-baiters such as Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson made a bee-line for central Florida, the scene of the incident, in order to stir up racial hate and incite violence against anyone who dared defend the man charged with killing Martin, George Zimmerman.

Police did not charge Zimmerman due to overwhelming evidence of self defense. Public outrage fueled by media bias, and the mayor and City Council feared large scale riots. They brought in Special Prosecutor Angela Corey to do something about the case to quell public outrage and prevent . When Police Chief Mike Lee refused to back down and charge Zimmerman with murder, based on lack of supporting evidence, Lee was was dismissed from his position.

As many observers noted at the time, the case against Zimmerman was incredibly weak from the beginning, and as the circumstances unfolded it became clear that the state of Florida came under intense pressure to charge Zimmerman with murder in spite shaky evidence at best. Corey, with clear bias toward Martin vowed "to fight for justice for Trayvon." Corey publicly charged Zimmerman with second degree murder. Her affidavit supporting the charge omitted significant evidence supporting Zimmerman, such as any mention of his extensive injuries.

The intensity of the case in the court of public opinion was ratcheted up as cable news outlets such as CNN, MSNBC, and others flocked to Florida to keep clanging the bell originally rung by Sharpton and Jackson, alleging that Zimmerman is a coldblooded murderer who acted out of sheer racism. A tape of a 911 call was edited to make it falsely appear to show racist behavior on the part of Zimmerman. Some bloody photos of his extensive injuries were suppressed and withheld, some for up to a year.  And there was a rash of hate tweets on Twitter against Zimmerman.

But as the trial of George Zimmerman continues full force, it is clear that the intensity of emotion surrounding the case has not abated one whit. Many observers are warning that race riots are a good possibility if Zimmerman is found not guilty.

Twitter went wild with hate tweets from Martin family supporters who stated that they would kill "white people" if Zimmerman is not found guilty of the charges. Some even directly threatened Zimmerman himself, stating that if he is allowed to walk free by the court, someone will make sure he is dead before he gets very far.

Some of the agitators on Twitter further recruited others to join in the ensuing melee if Zimmerman is found not guilty. Several suggested that an appropriate response would be that each Martin family supporter kill a white person.

Some are even asking whether the law should be ignored and Zimmerman convicted simply to avoid race riots.

“Regardless of whether or not Zimmerman acted in self defense, a large segment of the population, particularly the black population, are demanding Zimmerman be punished. And if they don’t have their demands satisfied, it is possible they might riot,” writes a poster at the Aesops Retreat forum. “So would it be appropriate to consider potential riots when deciding on whether or not to prosecute Zimmerman? Or should justice be blind and follow the rule of law?”

It is to be noted that the Martin family has not participated in nor encouraged such violence.

One of the factors that is driving the threats of violence appears to be the stunningly poor performance of the state prosecutor's office in handling the Zimmerman trial so far. Lawyers know that when your own witnesses turn out to be better witnesses for the other side, your case is in deep trouble.

Such is the case with the prosecution in the Zimmerman trial. Very little evidence has been produced that corroborates its core assumptions, and curiously the testimony provided by prosecution witnesses has significantly helped the case for the defense.

All of this means that if the trial continues to go as it has thus far, it is difficult to see any outcome other than not guilty for George Zimmerman. It is also a sure bet that the prosecution knows this, and if they know it, we can be sure that the hate-baiters know it.

Critics of the attempt to convict Zimmerman have cited numerous points of evidence which clearly suggest Zimmerman acted in self-defense and that the case against him was built largely on the back of contrived racial politics.

- Photos taken after the incident show Zimmerman with a bloody nose and lacerations to the head, suggesting he had been physically attacked by Martin;

- NBC News edited a 911 tape of Zimmerman’s call to the police to falsely depict him as a racist;

- Prominent black figures like Spike Lee and Jesse Jackson immediately portrayed the incident as an assault on the black community, stirring racial tension;

- President Barack Obama got involved in the case on the side of Trayvon Martin by stating, “If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon.”

- A police report suggested Zimmerman had been flat on his back during the altercation and an eyewitness said that Martin was sat on top of Zimmerman beating and pushing him down;

- A responder at the scene said Martin’s knuckles were bloodied, suggesting he had injured Zimmerman with a punch;

- The lead investigator on the scene, Officer Christopher Serino, wrote that Zimmerman could be heard “yelling for help as he was being battered by Trayvon Martin.”

The handwriting on the wall points to a resounding defeat for the prosecution. That means the forces lurking in the shadows are mustering their resolve and resources to take out their intense hate and frustration on innocent citizens around the country.

by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
codfish
by Jen on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM
5 moms liked this
First, he isn't even white!!!!
Now, should we lock someone up because people can't control themselves? Are you seriously asking this? Lady Justice wears a blind fold for a reason.
29again
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:27 PM
11 moms liked this

How about we just lock up those making the threats because they might riot?  That makes more sense.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

NO,  I'm not saying that!!

Other people are. I fear the jury may do this - based not on evidence, but to prevent possible riots. Which would be atrocious. And would make them just like the Special Prosecutor, the Mayor, and the City Council.

Quoting codfish:

First, he isn't even white!!!!
Now, should we lock someone up because people can't control themselves? Are you seriously asking this? Lady Justice wears a blind fold for a reason.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Only problem is there are lots and lots of people who say that. :(

Can police track someone based on  violent Tweets?

Quoting 29again:

How about we just lock up those making the threats because they might riot?  That makes more sense.

29again
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Um......  remember Edward Snowden?  I am positive that they already know who said what.  But I am equally positive that they don't care about the violent tweets regarding GZ.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Only problem is there are lots and lots of people who say that. :(

Can police track someone based on  violent Tweets?

Quoting 29again:

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:29 PM
4 moms liked this

This and the Paula dean crap has been blown out of proportion by the media.I have not been following either story for some time now because I think the medias handling of these stories is sickening.I also do not want be distracted from real important things going on in D.C.

Apparently Zimmerman is a stress eater wow.

micheledo
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Kind of scary that after an investigation and decision that there is not enough evidence to convict someone, that public opinion, fueled by media bias (younger pictures of Martin, little mention of injuries to Zimmerman, edited 911 tapes, etc), can cause someone to be arrested and charged.

I think Zimmerman was stupid and made some HUGE errors - but all that aside - I can't imagine acting in self defense and then being arrested and tried (and the huge expense) all because of public outcry based on few facts.   That doesn't say anything good about our justice system.  If there isn't enough evidence . . . and yet to put a person through all that????

muslimah
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:46 PM
7 moms liked this

And that's what is pissing me off. He wasn't even being charged because the police felt that under the Stand Your Ground law he was in the right to defend himself. He was not and would not have been arrested and charged if it were not for all idiots who made it about it about race and got all stupid leading the rest of the country to believe it was about race causing an even bigger divide among people. I don't doubt for a minute that he will be convicted just keep the peace and avoid rioting. I am sure if that boy was white  there would have not been any outrage bringing to national attention and race defiantly would not have been an issue.

blues_pagan
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:13 PM
6 moms liked this

No one should be found guilty to keep idiots at bay.  

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with most of what you said. I disagree with you in your assertion that  GZ committed huge stupid errors.

You think it is stupid and making huge errors to tell the dispatcher twice you will get the street address on the edge of the complex so the police now exactly where to go in the complex, end the call, walk in a straight line from his car to the wall to get the street name, walk in a straight line back to his car with the intent of making the call, and then get jumped, and have the crap beaten out of him and have to defend himself when TM said he would kill him? All of this within only 4 minutes in about 100 feet worth of space.

I don't see any stupid errors there? The media narrative started the untruth that GZ followed TM. If you look at the map and listen to the phone call, and read his statement, he even says the dispatcher asked him not to follow. He told the dispatcher the suspect  had disappeared. He was simply getting the name of the street. It's possible TM may have thought GZ was following him - but he wasn't. Hence TM's first statement to GZ, "Do you have a problem?" "No," GZ said. "Well, now you do." And then the beating - the aggravated assault - a felony in itself.

The only mistake I can see - seriously - is not using the gun earlier to defend himself. Any of the blows to the front or back of the head could have been fatal, as the PA said who treated GZ. People have died from less.

And I agree with you that If our criminal justice system is discarded for "lynching" type justice, we are all in a world of hurt, and our justice system and race relations have gone backwards 50-100 years.

Quoting micheledo:

Kind of scary that after an investigation and decision that there is not enough evidence to convict someone, that public opinion, fueled by media bias (younger pictures of Martin, little mention of injuries to Zimmerman, edited 911 tapes, etc), can cause someone to be arrested and charged.

I think Zimmerman was stupid and made some HUGE errors - but all that aside - I can't imagine acting in self defense and then being arrested and tried (and the huge expense) all because of public outcry based on few facts.   That doesn't say anything good about our justice system.  If there isn't enough evidence . . . and yet to put a person through all that????

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN