Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Michelle Obama: Being First Lady is like living in a ‘really nice prison’

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 36 Replies

First Lady Michelle Obama on Tuesday described living in the White House as like being in a “really nice prison.”

Obama’s comment came during her discussion with former First Lady Laura Bush at the African First Ladies Summit in Tanzania during an interview moderated by journalist Cokie Roberts.

Roberts noted that Martha Washington, the first First Lady, also described living in the role as akin to being a state prisoner.

Obama said she loved her job and found it liberating in some respects, but confining in others.

“There are some prison elements to it,” she joked. “But it’s a really nice prison.”

Former first lady Laura Bush reminded the crowd that First Ladies had a chef.

“You can’t complain,” Michelle Obama admitted. “But there is definitely elements that are confining

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM
6 moms liked this

No Michelle,  US citizens can still visit prisons.

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Quote:

"Being able to pursue our passions and do things that not only help our country and connect us with the rest of the world, it's a great privilege," Mrs. Obama said.

It's also a "freeing and liberating opportunity" from the tight security and restrictions the first family faces in the White House.

Asked by the moderator if she feels like a prisoner–a reference to Martha Washington, the first ever first lady, who told her niece she felt like a "state prisoner"–Mrs. Obama jokingly replied: "No, there are prison elements to it. But it's a really nice prison, so–"

"But with a chef," Mrs. Bush interjected, drawing laughs from the crowd.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/02/michelle-obama-laura-bush-offer-advice-to-other-first-ladies-at-african-summit/

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM
3 moms liked this

Hey, it's our 'really nice prison', and I say we kick the freeloaders out.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting grandmab125:

Honestly, I don't know why we haven't taken to the streets with pitchforks and our military backing freedom.
Egyptians are attempting to rid their government of the Muslim Brotherhood, while we embrace them.

survivorinohio
by Rene on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Not without permission

Quoting Billiejeens:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM

............>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

you

Quoting survivorinohio:

Not without permission

Quoting Billiejeens:

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM
2 moms liked this
Living in America is like living in a really nice prison.
lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Because we have to go to work.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting grandmab125:

Honestly, I don't know why we haven't taken to the streets with pitchforks and our military backing freedom.
Egyptians are attempting to rid their government of the Muslim Brotherhood, while we embrace them.

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

My heart bleeds for her.

29again
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM
2 moms liked this

Poor Moochelle.  That is gonna keep me awake at night, worrying about how she is doing in her "prison."  Oh, wait, she can just go back to where she came from, but she will leave with a lot more going for her than what most released prisoners get..  Or does she intend to sue for wrongful imprisonment when she gets out?   I'm sorry, but I just cannot believe that she actually came out and said that.  Feels like a kick in the face to America.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)