Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you feel about this progress?

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

When I was a child here in the city many people had chickens.  I really think that in many cases our progress has causes dependancy. 

People dont want to be annoyed by the visuals,smells and sounds of small livestock and even gardens that could literally feed a poor family if it could be tolerated as it once was.

How do you feel about this.  Would you be ok if your neighbor had chickens in their tiny back yard?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM

As long as they were well-maintained and confined (meaning I don't have to chase them around my yard) I would not mind.

Susan0805
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM
I would live to have chickens! I live in base housing and they aren't allowed though :(
29again
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I am trying to find out if I can!  However, I can't get the code officer on the phone, he is always "out or on the other line....."  And this is rather urgent, as in about 2 weeks we will have some!  Otherwise my parents may soon become proud owners of some chickens...  and I would rather keep them myself.

1Giovanni
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I use to have chickens in town...now where I live we can't have chickens. My son wants chickens so bad. He is begging his grandman & grandpa to allow him to have chickens at their place. 

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I was born on a farm, and lived there for about 7 years.  So, I have no objections to a neighbor having chickens if I lived in a house and not a condo.  The caveats being: (1) No rooster; (2) they must be fenced in and (3) they keep the coops and area as clean as possible to keep down any smell factor (if our houses were close to each other).

My one daughter wants to get some chickens.  They live on 2 1/2 acres, so they wouldn't bother their neighbors.

Has any one ever killed a chicken themselves?  It's rather bizarre to watch them run around a little right after you decapitate them.  My girls didn't believe me when I told them that, until my son-in-law confirmed it.  I really hated when my mother would decide to have chicken for dinner.....my brother and I always got stuck plucking them.

survivorinohio
by Rene on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Yes I have had the experience.  It is odd.

Quoting grandmab125:

I was born on a farm, and lived there for about 7 years.  So, I have no objections to a neighbor having chickens if I lived in a house and not a condo.  The caveats being: (1) No rooster; (2) they must be fenced in and (3) they keep the coops and area as clean as possible to keep down any smell factor (if our houses were close to each other).

My one daughter wants to get some chickens.  They live on 2 1/2 acres, so they wouldn't bother their neighbors.

Has any one ever killed a chicken themselves?  It's rather bizarre to watch them run around a little right after you decapitate them.  My girls didn't believe me when I told them that, until my son-in-law confirmed it.  I really hated when my mother would decide to have chicken for dinner.....my brother and I always got stuck plucking them.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM

It was always creepy to me, LOL.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Yes I have had the experience.  It is odd.

Quoting grandmab125:

grandma B

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM
That is actually not a smart way to kill a chicken.
I have killed many. Grew up on a farm where we raised pigs, chickens, rabbits for meat and breeding. Plus we had goats, geese and a horse.
The best way to kill a chicken is to hang it by its feet on a bar between two trees. The chickens relax and you knock them unconscious with a quick blow to their head. Then cut their heads off allowing the blood to drain. This allows the entire body to be relaxed which means the muscles will be loose - the meat tender. Letting them run pumps blood through their system, and their muscles constrict causing tough meat. Not to mention - it is a cruel method of kill.

I still live in the country and my neighbors have cows and chickens on their front lawn. It does not bother me.

Quoting grandmab125:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Well, my father's family had been farmers for generations, and they used to whack the head off on a stump.  To each their own.

Quoting Analeigh2012:

That is actually not a smart way to kill a chicken.
I have killed many. Grew up on a farm where we raised pigs, chickens, rabbits for meat and breeding. Plus we had goats, geese and a horse.
The best way to kill a chicken is to hang it by its feet on a bar between two trees. The chickens relax and you knock them unconscious with a quick blow to their head. Then cut their heads off allowing the blood to drain. This allows the entire body to be relaxed which means the muscles will be loose - the meat tender. Letting them run pumps blood through their system, and their muscles constrict causing tough meat. Not to mention - it is a cruel method of kill.

I still live in the country and my neighbors have cows and chickens on their front lawn. It does not bother me.

Quoting grandmab125:

grandma B

AuntieL333
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:56 AM

The sad truth is that if some disaster hit and you could no longer jot down to the grocery store a good many people would starve. I am in my 50's and we always had a garden when I was growing up and it fed us and allowed us to help out family and friends. I still make sure and plant some tomatoes, green beans, corn and onions. My niece and nephew thinks it's fun having their own garden and sometimes they even let the tomatoes ripen (they both love fried green tomatoes). There are so many things we used to do for ourselves, things today's kids haven't a clue about. God forbid we should suffer an electro-magnetic event I am betting we would see the heads of teens and 20 somethings exploding because none of their electronic gadgets work, including their cars.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)