Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Gallup: Republicans more proud to be American than Democrats

Posted by   + Show Post

BY CHARLIE SPIERING | JULY 4, 2013 AT 8:50 AM Photo -   In recognition of Independence Day, Gallup has released a poll on whether American citizens are still proud to be American.

Ninety-three percent of Republicans indicate that they are “extremely/very proud” to be American while only 85 percent of Democrats feel the same way.

Eighty-one percent of political Independents indicate they are “extremely/very proud.”

Likewise, 89 percent of poll respondents who identified themselves as conservative are “extremely/very proud,” to be American compared to 76 percent of liberals.

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Replies (11-20):
lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I will use my right to vote, to vote this best post of the day..

Quoting codfish:

Why does this surprise anyone? I am an independent and yes I am proud to be an American. As a woman I can be anything I choose. I can practice my religion freely or oractice no religion. I can say what I want about our politicians and vote them out when they prove useless. I can work my butt off, start a business, and reap what I sow. My g-fathers both fought for me to have the rights that so many take for granted. No, America is not perfect. Feel free to show me a country that is. That is the beauty of America. You can bitch, moan, groan, complain, and bad mouth those who have and still do fight for your right to speak as you will.

codfish
by Jen on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Ahhh...thanks!

Quoting lylalane7275:

I will use my right to vote, to vote this best post of the day..

Quoting codfish:

Why does this surprise anyone? I am an independent and yes I am proud to be an American. As a woman I can be anything I choose. I can practice my religion freely or oractice no religion. I can say what I want about our politicians and vote them out when they prove useless. I can work my butt off, start a business, and reap what I sow. My g-fathers both fought for me to have the rights that so many take for granted. No, America is not perfect. Feel free to show me a country that is. That is the beauty of America. You can bitch, moan, groan, complain, and bad mouth those who have and still do fight for your right to speak as you will.

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

gludwig2000
by Gina on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Same here.

Quoting MomTiara19:

Im very proud to be an American.I grew up respecting my country and still do.No place I would rather be.

patriotic

blues_pagan
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:30 PM
I wasn't trying to sound snide. But when it comes down to it I agree with you completely bit is a realistic view of the state of things.

Quoting joyfree:

Actually, I was agreeing with you that many liberals(myself included) would be prouder if we did some things differently. Because we have to factor in the things we don't like, it reduces the score... Sorry that I was not more clear.

Quoting blues_pagan:

The difference in what?  That liberals don't see the US through rose tinted glasses?  Sorry but this country has a lot to learn and has some definite steps to take to make it a better place.

Quoting joyfree:

Therein lies the difference...

Quoting blues_pagan:

Honestly right now there isn't much about our country to be proud of.  "America the brave still fears what it doesn't know".

joyfree
by Kat on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Truthfully, I should have listened to the little voice that told me to explain in more detail, but I ignored it...

It is SO easy to get into a war on words, implications, and different interpretations... It's strange how that can happen and derail the common thread.

Quoting blues_pagan:

I wasn't trying to sound snide. But when it comes down to it I agree with you completely bit is a realistic view of the state of things.

Quoting joyfree:

Actually, I was agreeing with you that many liberals(myself included) would be prouder if we did some things differently. Because we have to factor in the things we don't like, it reduces the score... Sorry that I was not more clear.

Quoting blues_pagan:

The difference in what?  That liberals don't see the US through rose tinted glasses?  Sorry but this country has a lot to learn and has some definite steps to take to make it a better place.

Quoting joyfree:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Honestly right now there isn't much about our country to be proud of.  "America the brave still fears what it doesn't know".

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I'd like to know what exactly are you girls proud of America right now?

Education?

Healthcare?

Wars?

Government?

etc..

gludwig2000
by Gina on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I grew up in Miami, so I grew up around a lot of people from many different countries, and all of the stories I grew up hearing taught me to be proud to be an American with the freedoms we do have. Things can be better here, that is for sure, but compared to some others, we are so lucky to have been born here. We do not fear someone kicking in our doors in the middle of the night because of something we've said. We do not have to fear never seeing our loved ones again because they were taken away by the police. We do have the chance to gain an education if we want, which is denied to some in other countries. Most of us eat every day and do not have to cry ourselves to sleep at night because we know our children are hungry and we have no way of getting them food, nor do we have to worry about our children dying at an early age because of an easily preventable illness, nor do we have to worry about our children being denied medical treatment because we don't have any money. I can go on, but I'm sure that you get my meaning here. Yes, America does have some things that I would like to change, but for all of that, this is still the best country in the world, imo.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

I'd like to know what exactly are you girls proud of America right now?

Education?

Healthcare?

Wars?

Government?

etc..

blues_pagan
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

It is the internet, words on a screen.  Here things get heated quickly so we are a bit defensive :)

Quoting joyfree:

Truthfully, I should have listened to the little voice that told me to explain in more detail, but I ignored it...

It is SO easy to get into a war on words, implications, and different interpretations... It's strange how that can happen and derail the common thread.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting joyfree:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting joyfree:

Quoting blues_pagan:

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this
pride
 [ prīd ]   

1. satisfaction with self: the happy satisfied feeling somebody experiences when having or achieving something special that other people admire
  2. proper sense of own value: the correct level of respect for the importance and value of your personal character, life, efforts, or achievements
  3. feeling of superiority: a haughty attitude shown by somebody who believes, often unjustifiably, that he or she is better than others

The above definition makes it clear that being "proud" to be an American, by virtue of the fact that we were lucky enough to be born here, is not applicable unless these proud individuals personally created this country or they have a sense of superiority because they happen to be American.

I'm guessing the above statistic is a reflection of the latter since none of us actually were there when this country was being born.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)