Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Gallup: Republicans more proud to be American than Democrats

Posted by   + Show Post

BY CHARLIE SPIERING | JULY 4, 2013 AT 8:50 AM Photo -   In recognition of Independence Day, Gallup has released a poll on whether American citizens are still proud to be American.

Ninety-three percent of Republicans indicate that they are “extremely/very proud” to be American while only 85 percent of Democrats feel the same way.

Eighty-one percent of political Independents indicate they are “extremely/very proud.”

Likewise, 89 percent of poll respondents who identified themselves as conservative are “extremely/very proud,” to be American compared to 76 percent of liberals.

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Replies (41-48):
idunno1234
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I actually struggled with that second definition.  On the outset, it makes the most sense until I realized that based on that definition, most people have no idea what pride is and Americans have lost the correct level of respect for a long time, if we ever had it.

Quoting SallyMJ:

In this post, we are talking about meaning #2.

Clearly.

Quoting idunno1234:

pride
 [ prīd ]   

1. satisfaction with self: the happy satisfied feeling somebody experiences when having or achieving something special that other people admire
  2. proper sense of own value: the correct level of respect for the importance and value of your personal character, life, efforts, or achievements
  3. feeling of superiority: a haughty attitude shown by somebody who believes, often unjustifiably, that he or she is better than others

The above definition makes it clear that being "proud" to be an American, by virtue of the fact that we were lucky enough to be born here, is not applicable unless these proud individuals personally created this country or they have a sense of superiority because they happen to be American.

I'm guessing the above statistic is a reflection of the latter since none of us actually were there when this country was being born.

blues_pagan
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh this is an easy one to answer. Most of them are delusional.

Quoting SallyMJ:

How could Republicans in general, or conservatives in particular, possibly look through rose colored glasses with this particular president?

And yet they still are more proud to be Americans.

How is that possible? I have no idea.

Quoting blues_pagan:

The difference in what?  That liberals don't see the US through rose tinted glasses?  Sorry but this country has a lot to learn and has some definite steps to take to make it a better place.

Quoting joyfree:

Therein lies the difference...

Quoting blues_pagan:

Honestly right now there isn't much about our country to be proud of.  "America the brave still fears what it doesn't know".

Friday
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Quoting SallyMJ:

Yes it is pride - definition #2 earlier here.

You don't think we are superior - obviously.

pride
 [ prīd ]   

1. satisfaction with self: the happy satisfied feeling somebody experiences when having or achieving something special that other people admire
  2. proper sense of own value: the correct level of respect for the importance and value of your personal character, life, efforts, or achievements
  3. feeling of superiority: a haughty attitude shown by somebody who believes, often unjustifiably, that he or she is better than others

Quoting Friday:

Quoting -Celestial-:

No. I am not proud to be an American. I cant take pride in something I had no control of. The womb I came out of just happened to be on this soil.

Pride is a deadly sin.

I agree. I'm grateful that my mom was on this soil when I was born, I love my country and do what I can to make her better but pride isn't the right word, to me. Like being Irish, it was the luck of genetics and who my mom was attracted to. I'm interested in my heritage and all things Irish, going there is on my bucket list but pride, no.

Superior to what? In what ways?

Don't you ever get bored with making of shit to accuse others of thinking or believing? I haven't seen you get it right once.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

Friday
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Quoting SallyMJ:

Everyone who is a grown up adult man or woman knows the US is not perfect.

Let's put it this way: Are your children perfect? Do you still love them? Are you still proud of them? Same principle.

Quoting blues_pagan:

I wasn't trying to sound snide. But when it comes down to it I agree with you completely bit is a realistic view of the state of things.

Quoting joyfree:

Actually, I was agreeing with you that many liberals(myself included) would be prouder if we did some things differently. Because we have to factor in the things we don't like, it reduces the score... Sorry that I was not more clear.

Quoting blues_pagan:

The difference in what?  That liberals don't see the US through rose tinted glasses?  Sorry but this country has a lot to learn and has some definite steps to take to make it a better place.

Quoting joyfree:

Therein lies the difference...

Quoting blues_pagan:

Honestly right now there isn't much about our country to be proud of.  "America the brave still fears what it doesn't know".

Children are different, we had a hand in creating them and molding them to what they are now. We had no hand in creating the US and you are quite naive if you think we have any influence over what it is now.

Friday
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Quoting SallyMJ:

In this post, we are talking about meaning #2.

Clearly.

Quoting idunno1234:

pride
 [ prīd ]   

The above definition makes it clear that being "proud" to be an American, by virtue of the fact that we were lucky enough to be born here, is not applicable unless these proud individuals personally created this country or they have a sense of superiority because they happen to be American.

I'm guessing the above statistic is a reflection of the latter since none of us actually were there when this country was being born.

None of that applies to this nation, for us average citizens. That's about an individual and pride in themselves. I have the proper sense of my own value and respect for myself for my acheivements, character, etc. I didn't acheive being a US citizen any more than I personally acheived my Irish roots. I was born into it.

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I take pride in my country.  We get tons of stuff wrong, but we never stop trying to course-correct. 

steviechick
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Wait!  Are we talking about Michelle Obama?

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Interesting

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN