Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Do you agree with the right to work states?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:46 PM
  • 33 Replies

After reading this do you agree?  (FTR, Arizona is a right work state).

The owners of an Arizona restaurant that was the subject of a disastrous and viral episode ofGordon Ramsay's "Kitchen Nightmares" impose a series of bizarre and extremely strict rules on their staff, according to an employment contract published by Radar Online.  

Samy and Amy Bouzoglu of Amy's Baking Company in Scottsdale got a flurry of negative media attention after the episode aired and from a subsequent social media meltdown. The contract provides more details about a very strange workplace.  

Some of the rules outlined aren't too surprising for a food-service business, like a ban on employee cell phones, or that workers have to keep long hair pulled back in a bun. 

Others are quite a bit harsher:

• Rule number 5: "Any type of attitude will result in immediate termination."
  • No visiting or unnecessary talking during shifts
  • The cost of broken plates or burned food will be taken from employee's paychecks if they're found negligent.
  • Tips are the "property of the house," and don't go to the waitstaff. 
  • Employees must agree not to work for a competitor within 50 miles of the restaurant for a full year after they leave, or to open a similar business in the same radius. 
  • Holidays and weekends are  "mandatory," and any no show will result in a $250 fine.

Pretty rough stuff. See the full letter here.

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TimetoMomUp
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Other than the fine for not working, I have had similar terms at when I was in the food service industry and back when I did hair.

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I believe in a right to work state.  No one should be forced to join a union.  The unions have destroyed Detroit.  And if not for the taxpayer bailout of the auto companies, tens of thousands of union employees would have been out of a job.

Most of those things listed above, are common in most of the food service industry.

miss_maya
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes, I agree with states that allow worker choice.  If a union provides a value that an employee desires, and that employee would like to join the union, good for that employee, and that employee should absolutely have the right to do so.  If the employee sees no value in the union and does not want their wages siphoned by union execs for few if any tangible benefits, that choice is a right as well.  

As far as the restaurant mentioned in the OP, doesn't sway my opinion even a little bit.  It should be up to an employer to set the rules they want for their employees.   If employees don't like or agree with the policies, employers are going to have a hard time finding employees.  If an arrangement is satisfactory to two parties, what business does a third party have coming in and telling either one of them it's not good enough, that it's not allowed?

A union doing the bargaining on behalf of its willing participants is fine.  Employees should have the right to join together to negotiate better deals for themselves, that's the beauty of voluntary free trade.  But if an employee feels they can do better on their own and will be better off without the union, or doesn't need the union because they find the employment relationship agreeable as it is, they absolutely deserve that choice as well.  No one should be forced to pay for a service they do not want.

Godgaveme4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Yes I agree with a right to work state...even after reading the above. I do not agree with the fine but I do not have a problem with the rest of it.
blues_pagan
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:09 PM
3 moms liked this
Wow. It scares me that no one here so far has any issue with a business treating its employees as though they are under authoritarian rule. The house keeps the tips since they don't belong to the waiter? No innecessaru taking? Sorry to say it but I would not give them my business because the ambiance there would be horrible.
Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:15 PM
3 moms liked this
I completely agree with the Right to Work states. I fail to see how the above relates to a worker having the free choice to either join a union or not though. The above sounds like clear expectations and job requirements. If an employee does not wish to comply - they are free to work elsewhere. I have no issue with the requirements except the fine - I would not fine people - they just would not have a job - failure to show on a mandatory shift would equate to job abandonment to me. I would have them sign the expectations and use them to ensure unemployment benefits would be denied if the person attempted to collect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miss_maya
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting blues_pagan:

Wow. It scares me that no one here so far has any issue with a business treating its employees as though they are under authoritarian rule. The house keeps the tips since they don't belong to the waiter? No innecessaru taking?

It scares me that anyone not involved with that business thinks they have a right to control how it operates. 

How is it not authoritarian to tell the business how they can and cannot operate, but it is authoritarian to tell the employee how they can and cannot operate?

Sorry to say it but I would not give them my business because the ambiance there would be horrible.

Great!  And power to you!  If you don't want to support a business that you don't like, bravo.  But please, don't try to use your version of what is and isn't right to impose rules and laws on everyone else that restrict their ability to do what they think is best for them and their own situation.  As mentioned, if the employee doesn't like it, they won't work there.  If the employer can't attract employees because of how it treats them, and if it can't attract customers because customers don't like they way they treat employees, the business owner will fail or change.  But, if the business owner feels they can be more successful their way, they have every right to try.

joey125
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:56 PM
3 moms liked this

Unions gave us the middle class, and were not the downfall of Detroit    When the gas crunch occurred instead of our  companies looking to the future and producing better cars, we got lazy and the Japanese took over our auto industry,  I see it coming back and happy for that, but to say unions destroyed Detroit is not true in my opinion,     Some of the rules in the restaurant mentioned seemed rather bizarre to me, I hope no one works there for goodness sake.  One rule I think employers forget is a happy worker is a productive worker,  not the other way around.  

JanuaryBaby06
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:56 PM

no  i do not agree wit many of the rules stated above.

ExecutiveChick
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:20 AM
3 moms liked this

I am quoting and "Like"ing again since I can't "Like" this any more without doing so. 

AWESOME post.

miss_maya is now sitting at the head of the grown up table.

Quoting miss_maya:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Wow. It scares me that no one here so far has any issue with a business treating its employees as though they are under authoritarian rule. The house keeps the tips since they don't belong to the waiter? No innecessaru taking?

It scares me that anyone not involved with that business thinks they have a right to control how it operates. 

How is it not authoritarian to tell the business how they can and cannot operate, but it is authoritarian to tell the employee how they can and cannot operate?

Sorry to say it but I would not give them my business because the ambiance there would be horrible.

Great!  And power to you!  If you don't want to support a business that you don't like, bravo.  But please, don't try to use your version of what is and isn't right to impose rules and laws on everyone else that restrict their ability to do what they think is best for them and their own situation.  As mentioned, if the employee doesn't like it, they won't work there.  If the employer can't attract employees because of how it treats them, and if it can't attract customers because customers don't like they way they treat employees, the business owner will fail or change.  But, if the business owner feels they can be more successful their way, they have every right to try.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)