Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Mother arrested for truancy, claims doctors' notes "weren't enough"

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:52 PM
  • 28 Replies

Mobile Photo

Mother arrested for truancy, claims doctors' notes "weren't enough"
By Bailey Hicks

NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) - A mother in New Hanover County was arrested for keeping her son home from school, even though she claims she gave the school multiple doctors' notes.

Stacy Glidden says she never expected to open her door on Tuesday, and find a New Hanover County Sheriff's Officer waiting to arrest her. The New Hanover County Sheriff's Office says they only served warrant, which was issued by Trask Middle School.

Glidden says she had been talking to the school for several months, explaining why doctor's believed her son needed homebound education instead of studying in school.

Glidden says her son, who is seventh grade, is autistic and suffers from seizures. She says several changes in staff and routine occurred in the winter which caused her son to get agitated, stressed, and have even more seizures than normal.

She says the increase in seizures, even caused his behavior to change.

"He doesn't want to be with his friends, he doesn't wanted to be out of the house," explained Glidden. "He will refuse to eat, there will be days when he refuses to talk to people."

That's when doctors' recommended he stay home."The bottom line is Seth is stressed out, he's having more seizures and the physicians say he needs to stay home," explained Glidden.

She says she pulled Seth out of school on March 12, and provided the school system with notes from three different doctors, including a neurologist in Chapel Hill, who said "We know from his condition that an increase in environmental stimuli around him worsens his autistic behavior. As you know he was previously home schooled. I believe that this provides him with a more stable environment and therefore is less likely to cause significant problems."

She says all of the doctors recommended homebound education, stating, that the school was unable to recognize his seizure activity, and that his "increased stress has lead to frequent seizures at home and school."

Glidden claims the school system told her the doctors' notes weren't enough, because she says the doctors didn't observe her son in a school setting and because the doctors stated he could potentially attend school in the 'appropriate setting'. Additionally she claims the school wanted her to sign a blanket release which she says she was not comfortable doing.

"You are releasing other medical information that's not even relevant, he has a right to privacy no matter what his disability is and I am going to stand by that," explained Glidden. She says she tried to find other solutions, and even offered to have the school contact the doctors, but says even in that scenario they wanted to ask questions that included information which was not relevant to the situation.

The school system says due to privacy laws they can't comment, but did say "the district follows NC law and Board policies when it comes to student attendance, and there isn't a lot of leeway."

Glidden says even though she is going to court, she'll continue fighting to give her son what he needs right now. She believe's he will be able to go but to school, but until doctors' give the ok, she says he needs to be home.

"I am his advocate, I am his voice," said Glidden.

Glidden was released on bond, and will appear before a judge Monday.

http://m.wmctv.com/autojuice?targetUrl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.wmctv.com%2fstory%2f22503158%2fmother-arrested-for-truancy-she-claims-doctors-notes-werent-enough
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
miss_maya
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:01 AM
4 moms liked this

Absolutely unacceptable.

I'm a bit hesitant to take the article as true on its face, but I have no doubt based on known laws that have recently been passed in some areas that it could be.  And that alone is scary enough.

That any parent should be taken into custody by the state for disagreeing with the state over what is best for their child is reprehensible.

PARENTS know what is best for their child.  If the state truly believes this not to be true, there's this little thing we have called due process.  

The state should be sued in such a case.  Though sadly, by now... that would never work. 

We should not tolerate this type of behavior from our government, and I hope that anyone this may have or could happen to would fight for their rights as a parent, and that parents all around would support them.

JanuaryBaby06
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

this is terrible. doctors notes didnt mean squat at my oldest sons school. my younger son suffers from seisures recently. i am dreading when the time comes to send him to school. this is awful.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:07 AM
This makes me sad. I know there are great schools out there. Wonderful, amazing schools.

However, we do homeschool. We have since my oldest (now 15) was born. It's stories like this that crush me, but make me grateful we don't have to deal with the stupidity of stuff like this. :(

This poor woman and her son. All this is doing is causing him more stress and making him sicker.
29again
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:25 AM
4 moms liked this

So now the government schools know more than the doctors do.  Good to know. No wonder our children are getting a piss-poor education from the government, they don't care what is best for the child!  All that matters is that the child be there, they don't care if the child is healthy, or not, just get your child to the nearest governmental indoctrination station! 

I hope that poor woman can get this resolved, and soon.  It sounded to me as if they had homeschooled before, so why is it such a problem to do it again?  The arrogance of the government schools is getting worse each year.

codfish
by Jen on Jul. 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM
My kids school has suggested that they don't have to accept doctor's note.
myheartbeat
by Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 9:45 AM
2 moms liked this

Our government / state run  schools are out of control and we need to find a way to put the checks and balances back in place to control them .

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this
We need to get the government out of the schools.

Quoting myheartbeat:

Our government / state run  schools are out of control and we need to find a way to put the checks and balances back in place to control them .

paknari
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Why didnt she formally dissenroll him and enroll him in homeschooling . Then he wouldn't be the schools problem anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcangel63
by Amanda on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM
She was wanting home bound schooling. Basically, from how I understand home bound, the school sends someone to the house to teach him.

Quoting paknari:

Why didnt she formally dissenroll him and enroll him in homeschooling . Then he wouldn't be the schools problem anyway.
paknari
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM
And who pays for that?! I'm all for homeschooling but not at the cost of everyone else. Also, the laws are made for loser parents that do t take their kids to school. This is a little far fetched in my opinion.

Quoting kcangel63:

She was wanting home bound schooling. Basically, from how I understand home bound, the school sends someone to the house to teach him.

Quoting paknari:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)