Obama Agency's Warrantless Collection of Americans' Credit Cards
Forward: Obama Agency's Warrantless Collection of Americans' Credit Cards
The Consumer Financial “Protection” Bureau (CFPB) is gathering millions of Americans’ credit card numbers without a warrant, according to the results of a FOIA request by Judicial Watch.
Breitbart.com provides a list of government contractors, which ostensibly carry out the warrantless domestic credit card data-gathering. As cited from Tom Fitton:
- Overlapping contracts with multiple credit reporting agencies and accounting firms to gather, store, and share credit card data as shown in the task list of a contract with Argus Information & Advisory Services LLC worth $2.9 million
- Deloitte Consulting: solicitation issue date 11/30/2011, award effective date 05/29/2012;
- Argus: solicitation issue date 02/14/2012, award effective date 03/15/2012;
- Experian: solicitation issue date 07/03/2012, award effective date 09/24/2012
The most concerning part for those who take their privacy seriously is the following:
- A provision stipulating that “The contractor recognizes that, in performing this requirement, the Contractor may obtain access to non-public, confidential information, Personally Identifiable Information (PII), or proprietary information.”
Surely, this is what Americans signed up for when voting for President Obama — a government that is seeking to find out every aspect of their lives, including credit card and bank data. Here is section 5.0, whereby the government directs the Banks to turn over data on demand:
- 5.1.5 Collect, transmit and receive credit card bank data files from the Banks. [...]
- 5.1.8 Work with the Banks to achieve data submission compliance based on any additions, modifications and clarifications to the data elements, schedules or definitions, when requested by the COR. [...]
- 5.1.13 Work with the Banks to develop the strategy and plan of action for collecting required data elements that are not readily available from the Banks’ systems…
Of course, Obama’s acolytes will find a way to twist this into how the administration gathering credit card numbers on Americans without their knowledge and consent is just a fantastic thing. Maybe they can enforce the ObamaCare mandate and bill my skyrocketing insurance premiums on my Visa card?