Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fox's Geraldo Rivera: "You Dress Like A Thug, People Are Going To Treat You Like A Thug. That's True. I Stand By That."

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM
  • 34 Replies

Geraldo Rivera Still Blaming Trayvon Martin For His Own Death POSTED BY ELLEN -512.80PC ON JULY 14, 2013 · FLAG Geraldo Rivera visited Fox & Friends this morning where he once again demonstrated his version of promoting race relations, this time by continuing to blame Trayvon Martin for his own death, saying, "You dress like a thug, people are going to treat you like a thug." Rivera also again suggested that President Obama’s pandering to the black community brought about the wrongful prosecution of George Zimmerman – once again presented as the real victim in this tragedy.

Rivera first dismissed the feelings of those who are horrified that a man who shot and killed an unarmed teenager had just beat the rap: “This case was just one of those things.”

Then Rivera again suggested that the whole tragedy was really Trayvon Martin’s fault – at the same time making racial innuendoes that President Obama was the other culprit

. This was bold-faced race politics. The president gave the signal. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton two men I hold in very high regard. But when they stirred things up, they did it in a way that I think was way over the top. …You dress like a thug, people are going to treat you like a thug. That’s true, I stand by that even in my own family. …That’s the reality. You don’t send your kids into the rainy night and then have them walk in back alleys in troubled neighborhoods and expect that a good result.

Well, Geraldo, you don't go around blaming the dead, unarmed teen shooting victim for his own death and expect a good result, either. That is, unless your idea of a good result are props from the higher ups at Fox News. Meanwhile, co-host Tucker Carlson used the moment to take some racial swipes at Jackson and Sharpton: "They are hustlers and pimps who make a living off inflaming racial tensions… The only reason they are allowed to do this is because we in the press enable them by calling them civil rights leaders." Yeah, that’s enhancing race relations just the way Rivera claims to want to promote.

Read more at http://www.newshounds.us/geraldo_rivera_still_blaming_trayvon_martin_for_his_own_death_07142013#eSYivKiKOiz1oDCl.99#eSYivKiKOiz1oDCl.99

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PamR
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Al Capone wants you to keep looking in his vault, Geraldo.   You've been irrelevant for a very long time.

Really, a hoodie is thug-like? 

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd of thought he was a thug had I come across him at night.

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:52 PM
2 moms liked this

If you dress like and asshole and talk like an asshole you will be treated as one.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm not saying that a hoodie is thug like but he does have a point.  People do seem to treat others based on the way they dress. 

gludwig2000
by Gina on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Until we learn to over look the way a person dresses, and treat them like human beings, things will never change. I work with the public, and I've seen some people dressed in baggy pants and t shirts, who had careers in the Military. I've seen people dressed like they just stepped out of a trailer in the middle of the mountains, who had far more money than I do. We have to stop making these quick judgements because the way one dresses does not really tell you about the person. I guess the woman who works in Hooters dressed like a skank should be happy to be looked at like that, even if she is working her way through college.
Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with him.
survivorinohio
by Rene on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Quoting gludwig2000:

Until we learn to over look the way a person dresses, and treat them like human beings, things will never change. I work with the public, and I've seen some people dressed in baggy pants and t shirts, who had careers in the Military. I've seen people dressed like they just stepped out of a trailer in the middle of the mountains, who had far more money than I do. We have to stop making these quick judgements because the way one dresses does not really tell you about the person. I guess the woman who works in Hooters dressed like a skank should be happy to be looked at like that, even if she is working her way through college.

I hate geraldo and find nothing thug like about Trayvon however we have established societal norms as far as dress goes and allowing your behind to hang out defies those norms.  I have to break down and wear makeup and a bra because of those norms,  I dont like em but they exist.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Stari27
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I really wonder if people do look at hoodies and baggie pants as thug anymore, these days it seems like teens from almost all backgrounds are dressing about the same.  Even when I was in school most of the kids I knew dressed like that, or some variation.  Its not thug so much as teen when I see it.  Even a lot of people I know in their 20s still dress like that, but then I guess I never conformed to the standards with how I dressed either.   I do think most people look past dress quickly and at other things, like how you carry yourself and how you present in other aspects though. 

In the movie To Sir With Love 2, which I think most people haven't seen, there is a scene where Mr Thackery takes his students to the streets in Chicago and has them approach people, the first student is a white one dressed decently he just lets go talk to a lady, the student approached rudely, and aggressively and the lady backs away nervously, a random man on the street comes forward and moves between them protectively telling the boy to back off, etc..  Then the teacher instructs another student, this time a black boy in baggy jeans, hoodie, black leather, dreadlocks, etc to approach another lady respectfully, when he does that the lady responds the same.  Although this is only a movie, it does reflect real life.  We may initially judge based on just looks, but more then that impresses on us. 

A teen in baggy jeans, hoody, and "thug dress" who carries themselves in a way that shows respect for themselves and others will be treated by us differently then one who is skulking around or acting threatening.  To say that a persons clothing alone is what controls how we see a person is completely wrong, even before we speak to a person they way they move, the way they carry themselves says more to us then what they wear. 

29again
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not fond of Geraldo.  But he is absolutely right in this case.  We DO judge on our first impressions, and the way we dress is a big part of that.  I do know that a lot of people do NOT dress to impress, so to speak, but if they show respect, that is what comes through more than their attire.

MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:14 AM

So should everyone with a hoodie on and skittles be labled a thug.... and fear they get shot by a cop wannabe just walking down the street???

What does a thug look like....please define this?Is it only in one complexion???

Trayvon was unarmed.Killing someone because they look suspicious.....when you are the big man who has the gun.....who is the thug here??

Carlson and Geraldo have issues.They are probably scared of their own shadow.They need to climb out from under the rock they have been under.This is a big world and they cant be afraid of every young black boy that walks down the street....and Al Sharpton an older man who is a civil rights activist... who for some reason really threatens them....

A young black boy and old black man.....oooooh so scary!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)