Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

22 Children Dead Overseas After They Ate Tainted School Lunch

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 11:11 AM
What are you doing this weekend? - CafeMom

I'm going to spend some time with my family this weekend, starting with Grandmother's funeral, then celebrating my

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 88 Replies
1 mom liked this

22 Children Dead Overseas After They Ate Tainted School Lunch

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

school lunch killsReportedly, a school lunch in India has killed at least 22 children and sickened many more. Authorities believe the horror happened after the food from the free lunch program was somehow tainted with organophosphate, a substance used as an insecticide on rice and wheat crops. It's entirely possible it happened through negligence -- a failure to properly wash some component of the meal, which included rice. It could have also been intentional.

It's an absolutely heartbreaking scenario. These children were already at a disadvantage. They needed to take part in the free mid-day meal program because they were somehow malnourished or otherwise in need of better food. And then something like this happens. 

The idea that this could be intentional is nearly too much to bear. Who could do such a thing to these children who range in age from 8 to 12. They are babies.

So far an investigation has been launched and the parents who have lost children have been offered 200,000 rupees ($3,370) in compensation. Of course, there is no amount of money in the world that will bring those children back, and parents are furious and besides themselves with grief. Who can blame them? 

The headmaster at the school has been accused of criminal negligence, and the reality is, whether it was deliberate or intentional, something or someone went horribly wrong when serving food to an incredibly vulnerable population.

As a parent, you can't help but imagine this being you. This could be my kids. It could be your kids.

Every time I think about those parents and the trust they put in the school and in the lunch program, I start to cry again. Now 22 children will never play another game of hide and seek and will never run around the school yard again all because someone didn't follow the proper procedure in preparing their food. Sure, it's a lesson in hygiene I won't forget. But it comes at an unimaginable price.

The death toll in this tragedy is beyond imagining. Those poor, sweet children.

Do you think someone could have done this on purpose?

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:28 AM
7 moms liked this

This is sad.  I really hope it wasn't intentional.  

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM

It's absolutely horrible and so sad

TimetoMomUp
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM
3 moms liked this

I read this earlier, so horrible. I hope this was not done on purpose.  I hope those who survive are not suffering and I pray for all involved and their families. 

Supervane
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Oh my good God this is so tragic!
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM

This is horrible..you send your child to school and you certainly don't expect something like this to happen.

lasombrs
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM
I hope it wasn't intentional and $3300 is just an insult to the families :/
goddess99
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Oh how sad =(

LilliesValley
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM

It is probably just human error. I mean yes, someone could do this on purpose but mltn it's human error at some point. It's a very tough lesson and a tragic one.

The compensation being offered is a joke but as these are poor families mltn they will take it as they have children to bury and other kids to take care of. Not sure what the average burial is there in India but I would think at the very least they need to be compensated for that and then receive a settlement on top of that. To go into debt to bury your child would be even more tragic.

lovemymini
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I hope it's was an accident. So sad

aandt1999
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM

This is so sad. I can't even begin to imagine what these parents are going through. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)