Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scientists discover true function of appendix organ

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:36 AM
  • 24 Replies
It has long been regarded as a potentially troublesome, redundant organ, but American researchers say they have discovered the true function of the appendix.

The researchers say it acts as a safe house for good bacteria, which can be used to effectively reboot the gut following a bout of dysentery or cholera.

The conventional wisdom is that the small pouch protruding from the first part of the large intestine is redundant and many people have their appendix removed and appear none the worse for it.

Scientists from the Duke University Medical Centre in North Carolina say following a severe bout of cholera or dysentery, which can purge the gut of bacteria essential for digestion, the reserve good bacteria emerge from the appendix to take up the role.

But Professor Bill Parker says the finding does not mean we should cling onto our appendices at all costs.

"It's very important for people to understand that if their appendix gets inflamed, just because it has a function it does not mean they should try to keep it in," he said.

"So it's sort of a fun thing that we've found, but we don't want it to cause any harm, we don't want people to say, "oh, my appendix has a function", so I'm not going to go to the doctor, I'm going to try to hang onto it."

Read more at:
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2007-10-10/scientists-discover-true-function-of-appendix-organ/693946
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
little.worthen
by Tess on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this

hmm. interesting.

little.worthen
by Tess on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I've always wondered (but never took the time to look into) why peoples appendices get inflamed so commonly in the first place.

confused

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Interesting!

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 5:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting kcangel63:

American researchers say they have discovered the true function of the appendix.

No they didn't.   That's spin, from the media, on what they actually said.

Researchers know that organs (and pretty much everything in biology) tends to accumulate multiple functions and, even when some of those functions become no longer relevant, the organ may well stick around (if in a less vital role) to carry on the additional functions it accumulated in the mean time.

JustCJ
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:55 AM
That's cool!
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad to hear this.  We were having a discussion on appendicitis a couple of weeks ago and my kids asked what the appendix is for.  I told them I honestly had no idea.  Now I can make them think I'm smart.  lol

Donna6503
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Interesting
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IhaveHisjoy
by Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

All of God's creations are amazing...Interesting post!

Billiejeens
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Funny, coming from our Climate Change Hoaxer.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting kcangel63:

American researchers say they have discovered the true function of the appendix.

No they didn't.   That's spin, from the media, on what they actually said.

Researchers know that organs (and pretty much everything in biology) tends to accumulate multiple functions and, even when some of those functions become no longer relevant, the organ may well stick around (if in a less vital role) to carry on the additional functions it accumulated in the mean time.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I'd always hear that it was unknown what it did. Even if it has multiple functions, it's good to know one. LOL

Quoting 4kidz916:

I'm glad to hear this.  We were having a discussion on appendicitis a couple of weeks ago and my kids asked what the appendix is for.  I told them I honestly had no idea.  Now I can make them think I'm smart.  lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)