Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

German Homeschooling Family Takes Fight Against Deportation to Supreme Court

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:12 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

The Romeikes, a German family granted legal asylum in the United States by a U.S. immigration judge in 2010, will petition the Supreme Court to hear its case to be granted permanent legal status in the country.

Uwe and Hannelore Romeike fled Germany after their family was vigorously prosecuted with steep fines, threats of loss of custody of their children, and imprisonment—all for homeschooling. Homeschooling is largely illegal in Germany.

Though the family was granted political asylum in the United States, the Obama administration appealed that decision to the Board of Immigration Appeals, and that Board decided in favor of the federal government. The Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA), which represents the Romeikes, then appealed to the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, which denied asylum. HSLDA now intends to petition the U.S. Supreme Court.

The Sixth Circuit denied the family’s request for rehearing last week after seemingly showing some interest in the case. HSLDA submitted a petition for rehearing en banc on May 28th, and the Sixth Circuit requested that the Department of Justice respond on June 12th. The family’s petition was then denied on the grounds that the issues raised had already been considered during the original hearing.

“This is not over yet,” said Michael Farris, founder and chairman of HSLDA, in a press release. “We are taking this case to the Supreme Court because we firmly believe that this family deserves the freedom that this country was founded on.”

Farris continued:

The Sixth Circuit’s opinion contains two clear errors: First, they wholly ignored Germany’s proclamation that a central reason for banning homeschooling is to suppress religious minorities. Second, the Sixth Circuit erred when it failed to address the claim that parental rights are so fundamental that no government can deny parents the right to choose an alternative to the public schools.

If deported, the Romeike family faces thousands of dollars in fines and possible jail time because they have homeschooled their children.

“The German High Court is on record for saying that religious homeschoolers should be targeted and severely punished, yet our Justice Department sees nothing wrong with that,” Farris said. “The Attorney General and Sixth Circuit are ignoring critical evidence and are trying to send back this family who is trying to stay in our country legally.”

In an interview with Breitbart News, Farris admitted that the path to the Supreme Court “is always uphill.” He is optimistic, however, because he believes the Romeikes’ case has the legal criteria that the High Court looks for.

“This case raises an array of important questions,” he said. “The ultimate question is what is the policy of the United States with regard to asylum when another country denies basic human rights to its citizens?”

Farris emphasizes Germany’s purposeful discouragement of religious organizations from the development of “parallel societies.”

“They say they’re doing it for tolerance,” he asserts. “But their view of tolerance is coerced homogenization. And the U.S. is backing that; our government is turning our back on liberty.”

Farris added, “The Obama administration’s definition of tolerance is not the same as the founders’ idea of religious liberty. It’s actually totally opposite.”

“The basic question here,” he summarized, “is are we going to stand for religious liberty, or not?”

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UpSheRises
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM
FFS...let em in. We've got plenty of space and resources.
Naturewoman4
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:51 PM
3 moms liked this

I heard about this case last year, and made a thread about this.  I'm so appalled at our Gov. for fighting a family that was already granted asylum here.  Now the DOJ and Obama wants to send them back after they have already made a life here.  Obama has allowed millions of illegals here, yet he goes after this family.  I think the reason why Obama and the DOJ has gone after this family is because they are German.  If it were an Hispanic or Black they would welcome them here.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM
3 moms liked this

If they were liberals or atheists, they would be fine.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I heard about this case last year, and made a thread about this.  I'm so appalled at our Gov. for fighting a family that was already granted asylum here.  Now the DOJ and Obama wants to send them back after they have already made a life here.  Obama has allowed millions of illegals here, yet he goes after this family.  I think the reason why Obama and the DOJ has gone after this family is because they are German.  If it were an Hispanic or Black they would welcome them here.

autodidact
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:16 AM

why? they aren't being persecuted. they can homeschool in Europe. 

Quoting UpSheRises:

FFS...let em in. We've got plenty of space and resources.

autodidact
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:17 AM

they don't have a pressing need for asylum. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

autodidact
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:18 AM

oh malarkey. 

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Autodidact, Unrepentant Heathen

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:56 AM
1 mom liked this

If they were liberals or atheists trying to teach their kids at home, they would be fine.

Hell, if they were Muslims trying to teach their kids at home, they would be fine. Anything except Christians or Jews.

Quoting autodidact:

they don't have a pressing need for asylum. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Naturewoman4
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Ok, then why go after this family then? If there's millions of illegals living in this Country, and our Gov. isn't doing anything about that, then why make this family leave? I believe it's because Obama knows most of the illegals and those that come over her from Mexico 'illegally', would be Dems. once they are made legal here. That's why he never was concerned about our borders.
Quoting autodidact:

oh malarkey. 

Quoting Naturewoman4:

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I'm on the fence. It is wrong that they can't homeschool. But I don't feel homeschooling is a reason for assylum. 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

The issue isn't homeschooling - It's religious liberty. Reread the article.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

I'm on the fence. It is wrong that they can't homeschool. But I don't feel homeschooling is a reason for assylum. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)