Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Is the Zimmerman Verdict Dividing Our Nation?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:50 AM
  • 35 Replies

Is the Zimmerman Verdict Dividing Our Nation? (VIDEO)

by Lindsay Ferrier

Moms Matter Google Hangout

When George Zimmerman was found not guilty of murder in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, much of the nation reacted in shock.

Emotions have been running high, with some staging protests and many others speaking out about their feelings online.

The question we ask today in our Moms Matter Google Hangout: Could this trial be a catalyst to try and bridge the racial divide in our nation -- or is it pushing us farther apart?

If you want to learn more about the topics we discussed in this hangout or just catch up on reactions to the trial, here's a quick rundown:

-The basic argument many are having online is over whether the verdict exposed inherent racism in the justice system or whether there was simply a weak case against George Zimmerman. CNN analyzed the race factor in the Zimmerman trial.

-Kelly Wickham of the blog Mocha Momma wrote a powerful post about those who've stayed silent in the wake of the Zimmerman trial. "I see a lot of people whom I consider friends, many of them with powerful Twitter accounts with amazing reach, simply giving Trayvon Martin and all the conversations surrounding his death a wide berth," she wrote. It's a great post. Check it out.

-Rebecca Woolf wrote about the Zimmerman trials from the perspective of a white, middle-class mother. As she puts it in the post's title, "We Need to Talk About Race." After receiving an onslaught of comments, she wrote a followup post the next day in response to what was said.

-Trayvon Martin's parents spoke out about the verdict in an interview with ABC News. I was very impressed by their poise and desire to forgive in the wake of what was obviously devastating news.

Now, my question for you. Is it possible for this trial to be a catalyst to bring the nation closer together, as Trayvon's parents wish?

Also, have you told your kids about the verdict? Will you? What will you tell them?

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Donna6503
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:05 AM
3 moms liked this
Is talking about race in America the same as being lectured to about race in America?

I remembered when this case first came out; All we heard from the media outlet, "All the 'people' want is a trial ..." Well, the trial took place, my main anger about this case is the narrative spin (from both left and right) media, in many cases the "spin" wasn't even factual and in more ways was just pointed opinion disguised as facts.

This whole story was pushed by the media, not because of "justice" but instead; for racial divide sensationalism. The the American public fell for it; hook, line, and sinker, and that ladies is the true tragedy of this case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM
4 moms liked this

Ignorance is dividing our country - items like this simply magnify the ignorance.

PamR
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Quoting Billiejeens:

Ignorance is dividing our country - items like this simply magnify the ignorance.

In what sense?  It seems that some people want to pretend that there is no racial divide, that there is no longer any racism.  You can't address and remedy a problem that you don't acknowledge. 

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Quoting PamR:

Quoting Billiejeens:

In what sense?  It seems that some people want to pretend that there is no racial divide, that there is no longer any racism.  You can't address and remedy a problem that you don't acknowledge. 

There is a lot of racism right now, probably more than in the last 50 years.

Doesn't mean that it is a bigger/greater problem than ignorance.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. It's awful that a young man died. It's awful that another man felt he had to take the life of another. However, this happens everywhere. The media used this to spin it into a big story, which now has spun it into another big story. They used it for their own gain.

Quoting Donna6503:

Is talking about race in America the same as being lectured to about race in America?

I remembered when this case first came out; All we heard from the media outlet, "All the 'people' want is a trial ..." Well, the trial took place, my main anger about this case is the narrative spin (from both left and right) media, in many cases the "spin" wasn't even factual and in more ways was just pointed opinion disguised as facts.

This whole story was pushed by the media, not because of "justice" but instead; for racial divide sensationalism. The the American public fell for it; hook, line, and sinker, and that ladies is the true tragedy of this case.
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM
5 moms liked this

Yes..it's like a bad offshoot of  the cival rights movement ...only instead of Rosa Park sitting at the front  of the bus Obama threw his white grandmother under it. 

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I would agree, but I do think that we need to remember what "their own gain" is.

It is not ratings or money - or they would follow the Fox model, the old stream media's "gain" is everyone thinking as they do. It's an agenda.

Quoting kcangel63:

I agree. It's awful that a young man died. It's awful that another man felt he had to take the life of another. However, this happens everywhere. The media used this to spin it into a big story, which now has spun it into another big story. They used it for their own gain.

Quoting Donna6503:

Naturewoman4
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Sadly it is.  I as a white woman is very upset over this case.  There are so many other cases that I too would protest over, not this one.  The woman that was sentenced to 20 yrs. in prison, for shooting up into the ceiling to scare her abusive husband.  No one was hurt, WHY isn't anyone protesting over this?  I think after this case, I feel I will never be the same again.  I have a lot of mistrust inside of me now.  This case was never about race, yet the media made it to be.  News channels have falsely put out a lot of wrong information, just to stir up things on purpose.  Innocent white people were hurt and almost died over this case.  This case isn't even about whtie people, GZ wasn't white.  I have read where white people should be fearful when the verdict comes out.  This case sends the messege that ANYONE that isn't black can't report a black person acting suspicious, because we will be investigated as a Civil Rights violation?  Or if a black person attacks us and we are in fear for our life, therefore we are forced to shoot them.  Then we too will be charged with 2nd degree murder?  I don't want to fear black people and I don't want to mistrust them.  But, because of this case, I'll be honest I do mistrust blacks now.  I know it's NOT all blacks, but sadly this is what this case has left me feeling.  Here are just two of the innocent whites that were attacked just because they are white.  NOT 1/2 hispanic and 1/2 white like GZ was.  GZ clearly looks hispanic, yet whites are being attacked.  That's why angers me.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:40 PM
2 moms liked this

We can use this case and verdict to try to bring understanding, if we wanted to. But I seriously doubt that the majority of American really wants it.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:45 PM
3 moms liked this

There are  people from both races and our president that are making this divide the country.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN