Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama: If Trayvon was white, outcome 'might have been different'

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM
  • 56 Replies

Speaking at the White House on Friday, President Obama strongly implied that George Zimmerman profiled Trayvon Martin due to Martin’s race, despite the utter lack of evidence that Zimmerman did so. In fact, an FBI investigation into Zimmerman turned up no evidence of racial bias, and the Department of Justice has been utterly unsuccessful in providing evidence of any racially-based federal crime committed by Zimmerman.

Obama said that there are “few African-American men in this country who haven't had the experience of being followed,” again implying that Zimmerman racially profiled. “I think, to a sense that if a white male teen was involved in the same kind of scenario that, from top to bottom, both the outcome and the aftermath might have been different,” Obama stated.

Obama provided no evidence for that contention. Such evidence would not include the case of Roderick Scott, a black man acquitted for the killing of white 17-year-old Christopher Cervini. Scott shot Cervini after confronting him and two others robbing a car; Cervini apparently charged Scott, who shot him. Scott was acquitted. Cervini’s aunt said, “How can this happen to a beautiful, sweet child like that? All he wanted to do was go home. And then for them to say, he was saying, ‘Please don’t kill me. I’m just a kid,’ and he just kept on shooting him.” No word from President Obama on the injustices of Scott’s case.

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:30 PM
5 moms liked this

He's right. I'm a white female who has never been asked why I'm at certain places. I've never been profiled. I've never been arrested/pulled over for looking suspicious, I've never been told to leave a convenient store because I looked suspicious.

Had Martin been a white boy wearing a hoodie with skittles and a drink he'd never been approached by a wannabe rent a cop.

GagaNTattooS
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM
3 moms liked this
O jesus christ he shouldn't even make those statements why put fuel on a r really stupid fire.
MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM
4 moms liked this

The presidents speech was off the cuff and from a personal stance.

In the wake of all the racial tension in the GZ/TM case....the president needed to address this issue.This was more about speaking to black youth and healing the black community over the Trayvon case.

There will be about 160 rallies throughout the country tomorrow.Hate will be instigated and Obama wants the rallies to remain peaceful.

You cant stop racists...but after Obamas speech...any derogatory words should mainly roll off protesters backs.

As far as Zimmerman was concerned...this was not about the legal side or the verdict.Zimmerman is a free man.The law has spoken....but the AA communities heart was broken.

I feel a sense of peace with Obamas speech.Unfortunately many white people do not agree.

I just find it shocking that people feared that blacks would riot after Zimmermans acquittal.There has been sorrow,prayers,and mainly peaceful protests.

Yet Obama addresses the black community and suddenly ...the "n" word,hostility,and hate comes rolling off some peoples tongues with no shame.

We all can have an opinion...but the slurs and personal attacks on here needs to end.We are all adults and the cyber bullying on CM needs to stop.

happymum76
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM
5 moms liked this

obama is nothing but trouble for our country, i am a white woman n i been followed too, why he thinks only black people get followed showes how much he hates the white people

happymum76sunglasses mini

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Is that cloak of white guilt getting heavy?  LOL

Quoting -Celestial-:

He's right. I'm a white female who has never been asked why I'm at certain places. I've never been profiled. I've never been arrested/pulled over for looking suspicious, I've never been told to leave a convenient store because I looked suspicious.

Had Martin been a white boy wearing a hoodie with skittles and a drink he'd never been approached by a wannabe rent a cop.

grandma B

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Had GZ been black - he would not have been charged politically as happened here. There would not have been a racist narrative. The case would have gone away when the police and DAs said there was insufficient evidence to charge. And it would have ended there. As should have been the case here. 

Quoting -Celestial-:

gludwig2000
by Gina on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:14 PM
2 moms liked this
We really need to find a way to understand the different views between being white, black and latino here in America. Many do not know how difficult it can be if you are not a member of the majority, how difficult simple day to day life is. If they want, they can learn, but they have to want to learn because they will be shocked over what some people go through.
Lorik1969
by Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:38 PM
2 moms liked this
If Martin had been a white kid wearing a hood in the rain, there probably wouldn't have been a story to tell in the first place.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Had GZ been black - he would not have been charged politically as happened here. There would not have been a racist narrative. The case would have gone away when the police and DAs said there was insufficient evidence to charge. And it would have ended there. As should have been the case here. 

Quoting -Celestial-:

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting -Celestial-:

White GULT on isle 4...CLEAN UP PLEASE.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting grandmab125:

Is that cloak of white guilt getting heavy?  LOL

Quoting -Celestial-:

That was my first thought..  White guilt seems to be an epidemic in this country.. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN