Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Zimmerman Defense Comments On President Obama's Remarks

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:58 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

We have listened to President Obama’s comments about the verdict in the Zimmerman Case. People are focusing on this quote: “Trayvon Martin could’ve been me 35 years ago.” To focus on this one line misses the nuances of the President’s message, which includes comments about how African Americans view the Zimmerman Case in the context of the history of racial disparity in America.

For more than a year, we have been listening to the conversation about this case -- from voices on every side -- and we have become very sensitive to the racial context that surrounds this case. We acknowledge Mr. Obama’s remarks regarding the frustration felt by some when viewed in context of our nation’s history, which includes racial insensitivities spanning generations, and existing even today, including within our criminal justice system.

While we acknowledge and understand the racial context of this case, we challenge people to look closely and dispassionately at the facts. We believe those who look at the facts of the case without prejudice will see that it is a clear case of self-defense, and we are certain that those who take a closer look at the kind of person George Zimmerman is -- something we understand the Department of Justice is currently doing -- we are confident they will find a young man with with a diverse ethnic and racial background who is not a racist, a man who is, in fact, sensitive to the complex racial history of our country.

It takes courage to talk about race. It took courage for our President to address the Zimmerman Case and candidly discuss how and why people are upset by the verdict. We would like to stress that the verdict was reached fairly and justly and that it reflects the letter of the law and represents the law’s proper application to the facts. While we acknowledge the racial context of the case, we hope that the President was not suggesting that this case fits a pattern of racial disparity, because we strongly contend that it does not.

This case has given the nation an opportunity to have a candid conversation about race. We would like to contribute to this discourse. Our President has clearly indicated he is willing to contribute to the discourse. As we begin this conversation, we want to say this: we cannot talk about race in sound bites. Before you cast an opinion about what the President said, be sure to listen to his comments in full. Before you judge George Zimmerman or disparage the verdict of the citizen jury, understand the facts in full. Agree not to listen to just what meets your predisposition, but to accept what exists.

Only in this way can we assure that the conversations we want to have, that we need to have, will be attended and listened to by those whose presence is necessary for a full discourse -- a discourse that can have positive consequences for our growth as a nation.

http://www.gzlegalcase.com/index.php/press-releases/195-zimmerman-defense-comments-on-president-obama-s-remarks

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM
3 moms liked this

Obama doesn't want a "conversation on race" - he just wants to tell us what he wants us to do.

i can trust O about as far as I can throw him.

imagirlgeek
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:08 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm pretty sure O'Mara knows that too.  He's a smart guy.

You know O'Mara has got to be sick of continually having to defend Zimmerman to the public since the jury has spoken and the court has ruled.  Usually, you get a verdict, everyone moves on.  O'Mara is a class act.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Obama doesn't want a "conversation on race" - he just wants to tell us what he wants us to do.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this

O'Mara TOTALLY is a class act. GZ had the two best attorneys he possibly could have. They are the best I've ever seen, period. Did you see the comments the two of them made to the news media there? O'Mara's in particular. Did you see/hear that? That was very profound.

Quoting imagirlgeek:

You know O'Mara has got to be sick of continually having to defend Zimmerman to the public since the jury has spoken and the court has ruled.  Usually, you get a verdict, everyone moves on.  O'Mara is a class act.

Quoting SallyMJ:

imagirlgeek
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:11 AM
2 moms liked this

The press conference where he said that the media took a story fed to them and ran with it....ran right over George Zimmerman?  That one?  :-) Yes.  It was true, and perfect, and he didn't sound bitter or ugly when he said it.  I'm really in awe of him.

Quoting SallyMJ:

O'Mara TOTALLY is a class act. GZ had the two best attorneys he possibly could have. They are the best I've ever seen, period. Did you see the comments the two of them made to the news media there? O'Mara's in particular. Did you see/hear that? That was very profound.

Quoting imagirlgeek:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Citygirlk
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:48 AM
4 moms liked this

Are people just so blind with hate that they can't see the president was trying to ease racial tensions. 

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jul. 20, 2013 at 4:34 AM
No they are to busy being race baited. And they've swallowed hook, line and sinker

Quoting Citygirlk:

Are people just so blind with hate that they can't see the president was trying to ease racial tensions. 

broncfan
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:12 AM
6 moms liked this

This is so wrong. There are many of us that are not white that can see that he was pandering to his base, nothing more.  He has done more damage than I think can be fixed.  He screwed the pooch with this one,  the divide will be wider the hate on each sides will be deeper and the trust on both sides has been blown to hell and back.  He messed up. People do not want a POTUS that sees himself as a "color" people want a POTUS that is a leader of us all.  so wrong, so bad.

How would people felt if G.Bush would have said he could have been GZ 35 years ago.  But wait, he was smarter than that and would have known how foolish it is.  He did help his buddies J. Jackson and A. Sharpton make  more money off "their" people.

Quoting Citygirlk:

Billiejeens
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:37 AM

bouncing

Quoting Citygirlk:

Billiejeens
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:38 AM

bouncing

Quoting -Celestial-:

No they are to busy being race baited. And they've swallowed hook, line and sinker

Quoting Citygirlk:

MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Very nicely put.I appreciate this letter as it is not disrespectful nor does it finger point in any direction.

I myself being a black woman of a son of color will admit I empathize with Trayvon and his mom in so many ways.

Also in the fact that I live in a predominately white neighborhood and wonder if anyone would randomly think my son was a thief and attack him.

Yet I often wonder if some white people honestly look at their biases against black young males as well.These biases keeping them from seeing things from Trayvons perspective?Also young black males in generals perception?

When you look at the facts of the case and take out gender,race,and even age.To me Trayvon still seems like the victim.You can argue that a person was being stalked by an unknown person,was grabbed,threw a punch,a fight happened,the stalker then realized he was losing and pulled out his gun and shot him.

How does Trayvon look like the thug in this scenario?

Yet in the white view it is all bias.Trayvon was every black thug even though he had done nothing and had no weapon.Trayvon should have not feared Zimmerman following because Trayvon should be psychic and know he deserves to be questioned.Trayvon should have stood there and obeyed Zimmerman because he was an unidentified man that Trayvon should have known was a block watchman.Trayvon should not have been angry or feared for his own life or through a punch to defend himself from a stranger.This teen should have known Zimmerman was superior and had every right to kill him at any moment.

The case is over and Zimmerman has won.Yet no one ever looked at Zimmerman.Zimmerman made so mistakes that night.No one talks about that.They just want to focus on Trayvon being a thug.When Trayvon did nothing that night.

This is a very sad case.Also sad because if anything the lack of empathy for Trayvons parents.Imagine how they felt.Where is the humanity?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)