Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

AP: Is Zimmerman REALLY Hispanic?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM
  • 52 Replies
2 moms liked this

The AP allowed their bias to slip in a recent piece about the Trayvon Martin vigils around the country on Saturday. The media is determined to make the case a white on black hate crime, but the facts do not match up. The AP cannot even accept Zimmerman’s own ethnicity (emphasis is mine):

The Florida case has become a flashpoint in debates over guns, race relations and self-defense laws. Zimmerman identifies as Hispanic. Martin was black.

He identifies himself as Hispanic because he is Hispanic. But if the AP admits he is Hispanic they would abandon their narrative.

There are Justice For Trayvon vigils across America on Saturday. 

by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM
5 moms liked this

I recently mentioned this on another post. The President is bi-racial the same as George Zimmerman. The left like to focus solely upon Zimmerman's white heritage in terms of the Martin/Zimmerman trial to stir racial antipathy. Obama's white heritage is rarely acknowledged { even by him } by the media & those on the left. Hypocrisy @ it's finest!

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:24 PM

BUMP!

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM
2 moms liked this

In a post on here I saw someone post that hispanic isn't a race, it's an ethnicity.  I have a question, if someone is fully hispanic then what race are they?

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 4:11 PM
My husband and his son had the biggest argument over this when the census came out.
They are Puerto Rican. They answered Hispanic but the. We're fighting whether they were "white" or "black" because "Hispanic" was not available as an option. I really did laugh because they debated and struggled over their answers for more than a week before selecting different answers. If you look at them, you would automatically assume they were black, probably never come up with Hispanic - if you hear their names you would think they were Italian.

Quoting 4kidz916:

In a post on here I saw someone post that hispanic isn't a race, it's an ethnicity.  I have a question, if someone is fully hispanic then what race are they?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

That's what's so stupid about dividing people based on race. It is so absurd, that my (blond) brother who was born in Libya now fills out these surveys as being African American - because he is.

I usually mark "Decline to State". Applying at my current job, there was no DTS. I told the admin assistant I was uncomfortable with indicating my race. He said that if I didn't do it, that he would guess and mark what he thought I was. (!)

Hitler also was obsessed with race.

There is more and more intermarrying, so there are more ane more mixed race people. So what race are they? Who the hell cares?I thought we were supposed to come together. All this racial division pulls us further apart. 

Quoting Analeigh2012:

My husband and his son had the biggest argument over this when the census came out.
They are Puerto Rican. They answered Hispanic but the. We're fighting whether they were "white" or "black" because "Hispanic" was not available as an option. I really did laugh because they debated and struggled over their answers for more than a week before selecting different answers. If you look at them, you would automatically assume they were black, probably never come up with Hispanic - if you hear their names you would think they were Italian.

Quoting 4kidz916:

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Of all the arguments, whether it is in the news or at someone's kitchen table, even if we could pinpoint anyone's race or ethnicity, that still doesn't excuse personal accountability. It's like obama and his cronies are trying to prove that if someone is or isn't white, is or isn't black, is or isn't whatever, then he will finally be found innocent or guilty. They are chasing their tails around in circles. Typical of the left...

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM
7 moms liked this
I agree. My heritage is Irish and it was only a couple generations back that my ancestors immigrated. I refuse to hyphenate my heritage. I am American. I was born here and live here. I am not Irish-American. I don't get all the hyphens, I don't get all the discussion about race. We should all work together as Americans and strive for common goals (like stopping the violence).

Quoting SallyMJ:

That's what's so stupid about dividing people based on race. It is so absurd that my (blond) brother who was born in Libya now fills out these surveys as being African American - because he is.

I usually mark "Decline to State". Applying at my current job, there was no DTS. I told the admin assistant I was uncomfortable with indicating my race. He said that if I didn't do it, that he would guess and mark what he thought I was. (!)

Hitler also was obsessed with race.

There is more and more intermarrying, so there are more ane more mixed race people. So what race are they? Who the hell cares?I thought we were supposed to come together. All this racial division pulls us further apart. 

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Quoting 4kidz916:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Sigh
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM
3 moms liked this

I know... It is insanely absurd that the AP would do that.

Glad you agree. :)

Quoting -Celestial-:

Sigh

flika
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:29 PM
4 moms liked this
I'm asking my sister and she says it's kind of the same.
What I don't understand is why white considered a race when it's the color of someone's skin. When I moved to the US, and even though my skin is very light and so is my family, I found out I'm not white anymore. Which I was very surprised and I don't understand.

South America has so many people that came from Spain, Germany, France and Italy also. We are all mixed as the people in the US. Some are white some are darker but we are all people.

My sister's 4 girls are white blue and green eyes little girls. Her 2nd husband is German descent but the 1st one his skin is darker and the dd still light skin and beautiful blue eyes. My oldest son can pass for american until they know he speaks fluent Spanish. He is also blonde blue eyes. I know so many people that are the same blonde blue eyes white but we are Hispanic so we ate different somehow...

I just don't get it

Quoting 4kidz916:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN