Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

What do you think of celebrities getting involved in social and political causes during concerts?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM
  • 13 Replies

Beyonce & Jay Z Attend Trayvon Martin Rally (PHOTO)

by Suzanne Murray

beyonce jay z al sharptonRallies honoring Trayvon Martin took place across the country yesterday as some Americans grapple with George Zimmerman's not guilty verdict.

The peaceful protest in New York had some major star power behind it as Beyonce and Jay Z stood alongside activist Al Sharpton, who spoke at the rally.

He called the musical power couple "two of the baddest artists of all-time," and added:

Jay Z and Beyonce said they didn't want to speak and they didn't come for a photo op. Beyonce put a beautiful message up on Instagram. Let me tell you, that before a lot of you were down, Jay Z always supported us. Jay Z told me, "I'm a father. Beyonce is a mother." We all feel the pain and apprehension -- the laws must protect everybody, or it doesn't protect anybody.

This isn't Beyonce and Jay Z's first show of support for Trayvon Martin's family. While they were relatively low-key at the New York rally, they have both been pretty outspoken about Trayvon Martin's death and their displeasure with the Zimmerman verdict.

On July 19, Beyonce tweeted:

#actnow4Travyon

She also asked her fans to sign a petition on MoveOn.org asking the Justice Department to open a civil rights case against George Zimmerman.

She also wrote on her Tumblr:

"Trayvon Martin's most basic civil right, the right to live, was violated."

At a concert in Miami last week -- after George Zimmerman's not guilty verdict came in -- Beyonce asked her fans for a moment of silence. She then sang before singing "I Will Always Love You" and "Halo."

Jay Z also showed his support for Trayvon at the rally and last night at the Legends of the Summer tour, when he dedicated the song "Forever Young" to Trayvon Martin. "This is for Trayvon, so light up your cell phones New York!" he shouted.

Justin Timberlake added: "One more time for Trayvon, New York!"

What do you think of celebrities getting involved in social and political causes during concerts?

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:56 AM
3 moms liked this

It's their right to do so but I much prefer to see them benefiting disaster victims.  I don't think they should be calling for people to boycott items or places just because they don't like a verdict where our justice system has spoken.  And not just for this case, but for any case.  They shouldn't use their fame to sway opinions and hurt innocent people.

Kitschy
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:58 AM
5 moms liked this

I think that when a celebrity voices their opinion on social and political subjects, it almost never changes the opinions people have on those subjects, but instead changes their opinion of the celebrity.

mom2many2count
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I think that celebrities think way too highly of themselves and talk about a lot of things that they have no clue about.  They treat life like a high school popularity contest and never grow up.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Celebrities are  people they have the right to voice their opinions..it's called freedom of speech..(well as long as it still last in this country).. Sadly many of them think that people should "conform" to their way of thinking instead of believing we ALL have the right to freedom of speech.

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Freedom of speech.Enough said.

JanuaryBaby06
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 3:12 PM
i agree with kitchy. they dont change opinions on the topic as much as it causes you to change your opinion on them. but sometimes they even open your eyes to causes & raise awareness. i think stars have every right to voice their opinions, they are the ones who are going to have to deal with the praise or backlash.
Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 4:29 PM

it turns me off right away. 

Godgaveme4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I have no issue with it. They have their opinions. But I have an issue with they are hypocrites.

For example, celebrities who are anti-gun have armed guards and perform in movies or TV shows and use guns. If you are taints them then you are against them and should say no to them.

Celebrities are boycotting Florida until the SYG law is gone. BUT they are not boycotting the other 23 states that have the same law.

melschlegs
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I couldn't even read past the word "protest".  What, exactly, are they protesting?  He was acquitted, and there are laws in this country protecting Zimmerman from double jeopardy.  There isn't anything that can be done at this point.  It's ridiculous to perpetuate the situation and rile people up when the justice system has done their job, regardless of whether or not we like the outcome.

Godgaveme4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:51 AM
They want the SYG law abolished. But I believe they are just jumping on the publicity bandwagon.

Quoting melschlegs:

I couldn't even read past the word "protest".  What, exactly, are they protesting?  He was acquitted, and there are laws in this country protecting Zimmerman from double jeopardy.  There isn't anything that can be done at this point.  It's ridiculous to perpetuate the situation and rile people up when the justice system has done their job, regardless of whether or not we like the outcome.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN