Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Report: Anti-Semitic incidents up across New York

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Eds
  • 287 Replies

Report: Anti-Semitic incidents up across New York

Posted: Jul 22, 2013 9:17 AM MST Updated: Jul 22, 2013 9:25 AM MST
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Anti-Semitic incidents jumped 27-percent in New York last year, according to a new report.

The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) says there were 248 incidents statewide in 2012.

172 of those incident were in New York City, according to the statistics released on Monday.

"Jews are still being targeted in significant numbers across New York State," added Gregg Mashberg, ADL New York Regional Board Chair.

The report compiled incidents of assault, harassment and vandalism. New York had the most anti-Jewish incidents in the country last year, according to the report.

"It is disturbing that we saw almost a 30 percent uptick in the total number of anti-Semitic incidents across the state," said Etzion Neuer, ADL Acting New York Regional Director. "The sharp increase of anti-Semitic vandalism incidents is a reminder that we are still not immune to anti-Semitism."

There were 87 reported incidents in Brooklyn alone. Long Island had 56 incidents.

The ADL counted 927 incidents across the United States last year, including 17 assaults.

Among the incident compiled in the report:

• A Jewish educational institution received voicemails warning all Jews the nuclear Holocaust is coming and threatening to "execute all Jews."
  • A Jewish educational institution received voicemails warning all Jews the nuclear Holocaust is coming and threatening to "execute all Jews."
  • Swastikas were spray-painted on multiple Jewish community buildings and other locations in Brooklyn
  • A swastika and the phrase "F*** the Jewish" were found on playground equipment in a public park
  • The Kingston Avenue subway station contained graffiti "The world would be much better off if all of the Jews were lampshades." Also "Hitler was right re the Jews"
  • A Holocaust Memorial Park was defaced with the word "f***" and a star of David was spray painted

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM
3 moms liked this

I should care,

I would love to care,

Jews vote Liberal Democrat, about 90% of the time.

We reap what we sow.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Quoting Billiejeens:

I should care,

I would love to care,

We reap what we sow.

I was very surprised by your answer Billie and so I googled it to see if there were statistics on repubs vs lib Jews..and surprise surprise.. I'm shocked..literally shocked.  You would think after the Holocaust people especially women would be more sensitive towards life especially babies that are being aborted..

yal baby | Cory Monteith | Lac-Mégantic | Arthur Porter | Rob Ford | Rolling Stone

Jonathan Kay: Why American Jews don’t (and won’t) vote Republican

| | Last Updated: 12/11/08 12:44 PM ET
More from Jonathan Kay | @jonkay

President Barack Obama talks with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu outside the White House during the Israeli leaders visit in March 2012.
Amos Ben Gershom/GPO via Getty ImagesPresident Barack Obama talks with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu outside the White House during the Israeli leaders visit in March 2012.

The Jews get blamed for everything — even Mitt Romney’s defeat.

What’s more, the charge is coming from fellow Jews, who complain that their Obama-voting co-religionists were sellouts to the Zionist cause on Tuesday.

“We approached the Young Israel organization, which represents hundreds of synagogues, we approached the Council of Rabbis in the U.S., the Chabad organization, Agudath Israel, all of them refused,” Rabbi Ben Rosenberg, founder of a group called Rabbis for Romney, told Israel National News. “We need to understand that the difference [between] Obama and Romney was very slight in the key states, and if those rabbis and leaders would have done something, if they would have emphasized how dangerous Obama is for Israel, it would have changed the entire picture and Romney would have been put in the White House.”

I’ve been following this niche issue for the better part of two decades now. Every election, it’s Jewish Groundhog Day: “This will be the year that Jews break decisively for the GOP,” pro-Israel, pro-Republican pundits confidently assert. But it never happens. A survey entitled Jewish American Voting Behavior 1972-2008 concluded: “Since 1992, Jewish support for Democratic presidential candidates has increased compared to prior decades, with no evidence of significant or lasting gains for Republicans.” This time around, Barack Obama got about 70% of the Jewish vote — more or less what the Democrats have gotten for the past 40 years.

National Post Graphics
National Post GraphicsClick to enlarge

The claim that Jews could have single-handedly swung the 2012 presidential election is ridiculous. If Jews had gone, say, 50-50 instead of 70-30 Democrat, that would have represented a swing of several hundred thousand votes — but almost all of them would have been in safely, solidly Democratic states such as New York, California and New Jersey. (Florida might have gone from its current purple to red, that is true — though that wouldn’t have any effect on the overall election outcome. Ohio, which Obama won by about 100,000 votes, is only 1.3% Jewish. In Virginia, the figure is 1.2%.)

But it’s the principle of the thing that drives the Rabbis for Romney crowd nuts. David Bedein, a pro-Israel journalist/activist interviewed for the Israel National News article, describes Obama as “the President who did terrible things, who appointed anti-Semites, who supported Islam … and here there are Jews who pray three times a day, who learn [Talmud], who have close relatives in Israel and they vote for Obama.” He simply can’t understand why any Jew would pick Obama over what the news agency calls “the pro-Israel Mitt Romney.”

One answer I’d offer is that the idea that Obama is somehow “anti-Israel” is a complete myth. As I’ve noted elsewhere, Obama stood against a Palestinian unilateral declaration of independence at the UN, sold bunker-buster bombs to Israel, and has presided over a flourishing of military co-operation between the two countries. A former director of the Mossad has stated publicly that if you’re looking to identify someone who “threw Israel under the bus,” it was George W. Bush, not Obama.

The minority of Jews I’ve met (both in Canada and the United States) who do express hatred for Obama on the Israel file generally fall into a very specific culture-warrior subset. They often are older Jews who have become radicalized, in the aftermath of 9/11, by mass-circulated emails and YouTube videos that purport to portray Obama as a closet Muslim who is out to annihilate the Jewish state. (As an example, consider a Israel National News article entitled “Obama’s Plan to Destroy Israel.” People email me this kind of nonsense every day.) Because these Jews’ primary political interaction, on the Internet at least, tends to be with other like-minded anti-Obama culture warriors, they find it astonishing when, on election day, a majority of co-0religionists vote Democrat.

And why do most Jews vote Democrat? Simple: Because U.S. Jews are overwhelmingly urban, educated and very, very liberal. In 2008, for instance, 45% of surveyed American Jewish voters described themselves as “liberal,” versus about 12% who described themselves as “conservative” — a difference of 33%. And that difference has actually grown (from 22%) since 1976.

Moreover, women vote more than men — and American Jewish women are an especially liberal voting bloc. I once heard Dick Morris say in a speech that they are the most socially liberal group in the entire United States. Why, exactly, would these people vote for a Republican party whose official position is anti-abortion and pro-gun, and whose cultural identity is defined in large part by rural Evangelical Christians?

As a correspondent reminds me, Jews were at the forefront of America’s union, feminist and civil-rights movements. Their history has conditioned them to believe in collective action in the fight for social justice — a political instinct that runs directly against the Tea Party’s single-minded obsession with laissez-faire capitalism.

Even the Israel issue itself can go both ways. On a practical and political level, it is a blessing for Zionists that so many Evangelicals support the Jewish state. But sometimes, their fervor on Israel actually can seem eccentric and off-putting. On my trips to Israel, I’ve found that many of the most fervent Zionist Christians will dip into apocalyptic fantasies rooted in their belief that non-Christians will be annihilated once the Jews of the world gather in the Holy Land. If I were a Jewish-American voter, I’m really not sure I would want to endorse the Book of Revelations on my election ballot.

And yet, year after year after year, Republican Jews expect the Great Jewish Blue-Red Migration to commence.

I’m sorry, folks. It’s just not happening. Next year in Yerushalayim, perhaps. But not at the American ballot box.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Billiejeens:

I should care,

I would love to care,

We reap what we sow.

I was very surprised by your answer Billie and so I googled it to see if there were statistics on repubs vs lib Jews..and surprise surprise.. I'm shocked..literally shocked.  You would think after the Holocaust people especially women would be more sensitive towards life especially babies that are being aborted..

yal baby | Cory Monteith | Lac-Mégantic | Arthur Porter | Rob Ford | Rolling Stone

Jonathan Kay: Why American Jews don’t (and won’t) vote Republican

| | Last Updated: 12/11/08 12:44 PM ET
More from Jonathan Kay | @jonkay

President Barack Obama talks with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu outside the White House during the Israeli leaders visit in March 2012.
Amos Ben Gershom/GPO via Getty ImagesPresident Barack Obama talks with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu outside the White House during the Israeli leaders visit in March 2012.

The Jews get blamed for everything — even Mitt Romney’s defeat.

What’s more, the charge is coming from fellow Jews, who complain that their Obama-voting co-religionists were sellouts to the Zionist cause on Tuesday.

“We approached the Young Israel organization, which represents hundreds of synagogues, we approached the Council of Rabbis in the U.S., the Chabad organization, Agudath Israel, all of them refused,” Rabbi Ben Rosenberg, founder of a group called Rabbis for Romney, told Israel National News. “We need to understand that the difference [between] Obama and Romney was very slight in the key states, and if those rabbis and leaders would have done something, if they would have emphasized how dangerous Obama is for Israel, it would have changed the entire picture and Romney would have been put in the White House.”

I’ve been following this niche issue for the better part of two decades now. Every election, it’s Jewish Groundhog Day: “This will be the year that Jews break decisively for the GOP,” pro-Israel, pro-Republican pundits confidently assert. But it never happens. A survey entitled Jewish American Voting Behavior 1972-2008 concluded: “Since 1992, Jewish support for Democratic presidential candidates has increased compared to prior decades, with no evidence of significant or lasting gains for Republicans.” This time around, Barack Obama got about 70% of the Jewish vote — more or less what the Democrats have gotten for the past 40 years.

National Post Graphics
National Post GraphicsClick to enlarge

The claim that Jews could have single-handedly swung the 2012 presidential election is ridiculous. If Jews had gone, say, 50-50 instead of 70-30 Democrat, that would have represented a swing of several hundred thousand votes — but almost all of them would have been in safely, solidly Democratic states such as New York, California and New Jersey. (Florida might have gone from its current purple to red, that is true — though that wouldn’t have any effect on the overall election outcome. Ohio, which Obama won by about 100,000 votes, is only 1.3% Jewish. In Virginia, the figure is 1.2%.)

But it’s the principle of the thing that drives the Rabbis for Romney crowd nuts. David Bedein, a pro-Israel journalist/activist interviewed for the Israel National News article, describes Obama as “the President who did terrible things, who appointed anti-Semites, who supported Islam … and here there are Jews who pray three times a day, who learn [Talmud], who have close relatives in Israel and they vote for Obama.” He simply can’t understand why any Jew would pick Obama over what the news agency calls “the pro-Israel Mitt Romney.”

One answer I’d offer is that the idea that Obama is somehow “anti-Israel” is a complete myth. As I’ve noted elsewhere, Obama stood against a Palestinian unilateral declaration of independence at the UN, sold bunker-buster bombs to Israel, and has presided over a flourishing of military co-operation between the two countries. A former director of the Mossad has stated publicly that if you’re looking to identify someone who “threw Israel under the bus,” it was George W. Bush, not Obama.

The minority of Jews I’ve met (both in Canada and the United States) who do express hatred for Obama on the Israel file generally fall into a very specific culture-warrior subset. They often are older Jews who have become radicalized, in the aftermath of 9/11, by mass-circulated emails and YouTube videos that purport to portray Obama as a closet Muslim who is out to annihilate the Jewish state. (As an example, consider a Israel National News article entitled “Obama’s Plan to Destroy Israel.” People email me this kind of nonsense every day.) Because these Jews’ primary political interaction, on the Internet at least, tends to be with other like-minded anti-Obama culture warriors, they find it astonishing when, on election day, a majority of co-0religionists vote Democrat.

And why do most Jews vote Democrat? Simple: Because U.S. Jews are overwhelmingly urban, educated and very, very liberal. In 2008, for instance, 45% of surveyed American Jewish voters described themselves as “liberal,” versus about 12% who described themselves as “conservative” — a difference of 33%. And that difference has actually grown (from 22%) since 1976.

Moreover, women vote more than men — and American Jewish women are an especially liberal voting bloc. I once heard Dick Morris say in a speech that they are the most socially liberal group in the entire United States. Why, exactly, would these people vote for a Republican party whose official position is anti-abortion and pro-gun, and whose cultural identity is defined in large part by rural Evangelical Christians?

As a correspondent reminds me, Jews were at the forefront of America’s union, feminist and civil-rights movements. Their history has conditioned them to believe in collective action in the fight for social justice — a political instinct that runs directly against the Tea Party’s single-minded obsession with laissez-faire capitalism.

Even the Israel issue itself can go both ways. On a practical and political level, it is a blessing for Zionists that so many Evangelicals support the Jewish state. But sometimes, their fervor on Israel actually can seem eccentric and off-putting. On my trips to Israel, I’ve found that many of the most fervent Zionist Christians will dip into apocalyptic fantasies rooted in their belief that non-Christians will be annihilated once the Jews of the world gather in the Holy Land. If I were a Jewish-American voter, I’m really not sure I would want to endorse the Book of Revelations on my election ballot.

And yet, year after year after year, Republican Jews expect the Great Jewish Blue-Red Migration to commence.

I’m sorry, folks. It’s just not happening. Next year in Yerushalayim, perhaps. But not at the American ballot box.

Admittedly I was a little high on the percentage, but close.

I will never understand why Democrats get the Jewish Vote at this rate, anymore than I will undersand their getting the Black vote.

I can only assume it is a testament to the media's influence.

IhartU
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM

If they have the largest Jewish population, then of course they would have the highest crime rate concerning Jewish people and if all crime rose, then wouldn't the Jewish crime rate be included?

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM

You can always google it.

collectivecow
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:11 PM
2 moms liked this

And we're overwhelmingly supportive of the LGBT movement: Oh noes!

Quoting Billiejeens

Admittedly I was a little high on the percentage, but close.

I will never understand why Democrats get the Jewish Vote at this rate, anymore than I will undersand their getting the Black vote.

I can only assume it is a testament to the media's influence.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:15 PM
2 moms liked this
I just don't understand the need to try to hurt another because they are different, whether is religion, skin color, language, nation of origin, etc, etc. Why can't we try to treat each other with respect, if we can't treat each other with love. Don't get me wrong, I'm far from perfect with a very bad temper, so this isn't a "kumbaya" moment, but I really do believe that we need to let go of hatred.
gludwig2000
by Gina on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:19 PM
I don't believe this, because once you realized that although I am a Liberal, that I had no intention of trying to be "mean" to Conservative moms, you've tried for the most part to treat me with the same respect that I've tried to treat you. You can say that you don't care, but I don't believe that.
Quoting Billiejeens:

I should care,

I would love to care,

We reap what we sow.

muslimah
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM

The title and the article are very misleading. If they are speaking of Jews then they should have said Jew and not Semite or anti Semite. Not only Jews are Semites. Syrians, Chaldean Iraqis, Palestinians, and some Ethiopians are also Semites.

collectivecow
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:03 AM

There are other places with exceptionally high Jewish populations. This article doesn't account for what the Jerusalem post did though.

Quoting IhartU:

If they have the largest Jewish population, then of course they would have the highest crime rate concerning Jewish people and if all crime rose, then wouldn't the Jewish crime rate be included?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)