Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Ivy League Prof. Says Zimmerman Verdict Is Proof of a ‘White Racist God’

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Eds
  • 14 Replies

Ivy League Prof. Says Zimmerman Verdict Is Proof of a ‘White Racist God’

An Ivy League professor who said George Zimmerman’s acquittal is proof of a “white racist god” is standing by her assertion.

Ivy League Prof. Says Zimmerman Verdict Is Proof of a White Racist God

University of Pennsylvania professor Anthea Butler has stood by her blog post about “a white racist god” following the George Zimmerman verdict. (Image source: MSNBC)

Anthea Butler, an associate professor of religious studies and Africana studies at the University of Pennsylvania and an MSNBC contributor, blogged her observations last week after a Florida jury found Zimmerman not guilty second-degree murder in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.

“God ain’t good all of the time,” Butler wrote July 14 at Religion Dispatches, where she is a contributing editor. “In fact, sometimes, God is not for us. As a black woman in a nation that has taken too many pains to remind me that I am not a white man, and am not capable of taking care of my reproductive rights, or my voting rights, I know that this American god ain’t my god. As a matter of fact, I think he’s a white racist god with a problem. More importantly, he is carrying a gun and stalking young black men.”

Her post, titled “The Zimmerman Acquittal: America’s Racist God,” was picked up by outlets including Fox News, the Daily Caller and the Huffington Post.

Butler defiantly hit back at her critics Saturday during a panel at the Harlem Book Fair on Saturday, saying she was referring to the “small ‘G’” god,” not “big “G.’”

“I got attacked by the right. I got attacked by Fox, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh — I’m saying all you all’s names out loud — Daily Caller,” Butler said in remarks flagged by the College Fix. “All of them, they came at me this week. I didn’t have no church people to clean up my Twitter feed. These people call me the ‘B’, the ‘C,’ everything else they could call me except a child of God. Okay? And why did they do that? Because I had the nerve to critique this American god. Small ‘G’ now. Not big ‘G.’ But they like, ‘Oh, no! You comin’ after God!’”

Butler hailed her tenured position at the University of Pennsylvania, protecting her from getting fired for her comments.

“See, I was coming after their god. I was not coming after the God of the scriptures, the God that we know, of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. I was coming after the god they worship, Mammon; the god they worship, racism; the god they worship, white supremacy… Thank God I got a great institution that takes care of me. I have tenure. I can’t get fired.”

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Wow.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank God I got a great institution that takes care of me. I have tenure. I can’t get fired.”

Exactly. Which God is she referring to?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Professor who called God racist has history of incendiary statements, is despised by students

Robby Soave

Anthea Butler, the religious studies professor who recently caused a stir by saying that Americans worship a “white racist god,” has a history of making inflammatory statements on current issues.

In the wake of the September 11, 2012 attacks on the U.S. embassy in Benghazi, Libya, Butler said that Sam Bacile should be held responsible and jailed.

Bacile made the anti-Islam movie “Innocence of Muslims,” which angered Muslims and was cited as a reason for the attack on the embassy, which killed U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens. Later reports have cast doubt on this explanation, however.

Butler, a religious studies professor at the University of Pennsylvania, said the filmmaker should “shut the f–k up about Islam,” and placed the blame for Benghazi squarely on his shoulders.

“Good Morning. How soon is Sam Bacile going to be in jail folks?” she asked on Twitter. “I need him to go now. When Americans die because you are stupid…”

When other Twitter users tried to inform her of the free speech protections in the First Amendment, she replied, “I know we have First Amendment rights, but if you don’t understand the Religion you hate, STFU about it. … And people do to jail for speech. First Amendment doesn’t cover EVERYTHING a PERSON says.”

Butler’s Twitter page is currently locked, and only users who have been granted access can view her page. This is done in order to keep out “trolls,” according to Butler’s Twitter profile description.

“Trolls? You Mad? Block Blockety BLOCKED,” wrote Butler.

Butler did not immediately respond to The Daily Caller News Foundation’s follow request.

Last week, Butler infuriated conservatives by suggesting that those who agreed with the verdict in the Trayvon Martin case worship a “white racist god” who “is carrying a gun and stalking young black men.”

After conservative media figures and news websites criticized her comments, she tauntingly asserted that she could say whatever she wanted because she has tenure and UPenn could never fire her.

Butler also rankled conservatives last December when she said on MSNBC that white people who supported gun rights were just trying to assuage “the fear of not having enough guns if the brown people rise up and come and get you.” She was responding to the gun control debate in the wake of the elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.

Butler’s proclivity for inflammatory statements has not made her popular among her students. Her reviews on ratemyprofessor.com are scathing.

“She is an awful teacher who thinks that she knows everything when half of the time she is making mistakes in the names of the things she is trying to teach! She takes herself way too seriously,” wrote one student.

“Pathetic,” wrote another. “This teacher is pathetically bad at her supposed job. Do not give this untalented instructor any more classes. Bad.”

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SallyMJ:

Professor who called God racist has history of incendiary statements, is despised by students

Robby Soave

Anthea Butler, the religious studies professor who recently caused a stir by saying that Americans worship a “white racist god,” has a history of making inflammatory statements on current issues.

In the wake of the September 11, 2012 attacks on the U.S. embassy in Benghazi, Libya, Butler said that Sam Bacile should be held responsible and jailed.

Bacile made the anti-Islam movie “Innocence of Muslims,” which angered Muslims and was cited as a reason for the attack on the embassy, which killed U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens. Later reports have cast doubt on this explanation, however.

Butler, a religious studies professor at the University of Pennsylvania, said the filmmaker should “shut the f–k up about Islam,” and placed the blame for Benghazi squarely on his shoulders.

“Good Morning. How soon is Sam Bacile going to be in jail folks?” she asked on Twitter. “I need him to go now. When Americans die because you are stupid…”

When other Twitter users tried to inform her of the free speech protections in the First Amendment, she replied, “I know we have First Amendment rights, but if you don’t understand the Religion you hate, STFU about it. … And people do to jail for speech. First Amendment doesn’t cover EVERYTHING a PERSON says.”

Butler’s Twitter page is currently locked, and only users who have been granted access can view her page. This is done in order to keep out “trolls,” according to Butler’s Twitter profile description.

“Trolls? You Mad? Block Blockety BLOCKED,” wrote Butler.

Butler did not immediately respond to The Daily Caller News Foundation’s follow request.

Last week, Butler infuriated conservatives by suggesting that those who agreed with the verdict in the Trayvon Martin case worship a “white racist god” who “is carrying a gun and stalking young black men.”

After conservative media figures and news websites criticized her comments, she tauntingly asserted that she could say whatever she wanted because she has tenure and UPenn could never fire her.

Butler also rankled conservatives last December when she said on MSNBC that white people who supported gun rights were just trying to assuage “the fear of not having enough guns if the brown people rise up and come and get you.” She was responding to the gun control debate in the wake of the elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.

Butler’s proclivity for inflammatory statements has not made her popular among her students. Her reviews on ratemyprofessor.com are scathing.

“She is an awful teacher who thinks that she knows everything when half of the time she is making mistakes in the names of the things she is trying to teach! She takes herself way too seriously,” wrote one student.

“Pathetic,” wrote another. “This teacher is pathetically bad at her supposed job. Do not give this untalented instructor any more classes. Bad.”

Makes you wonder doesn't it how some people get into professions like this..and how many keep their mouths shut UNTIL they can't get fired..

Luvnlogic
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:45 PM
I see the difference in her use of the lower case "g" in reference to a white, racist god and where she used the capital "G" when referencing the God of the scriptures. Pretty obvious...y'all don't see that? Either way, free speech.
JustCJ
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

WTF do they want minus EVERYONE to turn their back on the FACTS because TM was black? Because I think that's what they want.

justme00
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:47 PM
2 moms liked this
What part of Zimmerman is NOT white do people not understand???
JustCJ
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

And this lady is out of her tree.

disclaimer: that's what I say about all the crazy's....this wasn't racist.

MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

God loves everyone.

This is an older woman that has probably seen alot of hate in her time.She needs to pray for her enemies and be grateful for the good in people.There are many beautiful people of all races in the world.

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:23 AM
Quoting Ednarooni160:

Ivy League Prof. Says

The only thing this proves is that the words of Ivy League professors should not be reported by journalists whose reading comprehension is not up to Ivy League standards.

I've read the context of what she said, and the spin of that article is very misleading.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)