Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Fury as hospital tells two African American staff they cannot care for white patient who requested that no black staff touch him

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:48 AM
  • 44 Replies

Fury as hospital tells two African American staff they cannot care for white patient who requested that no black staff touch him

• Nursing assistant Andrea Butler said that she was 'hurt' by the request
  • White patient demanded that he is not care for by African American nurses
  • Shiawassee County Medical Care Facility said they must respect the wishes of their patients

By JAYMI MCCANN

Two African American care home employees  have accused their bosses of stopping them working with a white patient as he refused to be cared for by black people.

Shiawassee County Medical Care Facility, in Corunna, Michigan, allegedly told them that they could not work with the patient, according to TV5.

Nursing assistant Andrea Butler said: '[I've] never, ever been treated like this before. It hurts, it really hurts, especially because I'm there to take care of them.'

Shocked: Andrea Butler was told that she was not permitted to care for a white patient

Shocked: Andrea Butler was told that she was not permitted to care for a white patient

Allegations: Shiawassee County Medical Care Facility, in Corunna, Michigan, allegedly told them that they could not work with the patient

Allegations: Shiawassee County Medical Care Facility, in Corunna, Michigan, allegedly told them that they could not work with the patient

She added that she was told of the news in front of staff and residents in the care home.

The resident had complained of being bruised by an African American employee, but later admitted that the story was not true. She claims that the situations are very similar.

Nurse Tonya Battle has spoken out about the case. She was told  by staff at Hurley medical Centre she couldn't care for a newborn at the request of the baby's white parents.

Hurt: The nursing assistant was furious that the medical facility allowed it to happen

Hurt: The nursing assistant was furious that the medical facility allowed it to happen

Respect: The hospital said that it has to listen to the wishes of its patients and that the situation would be dealt with the same if it was about gender not race

Respect: The hospital said that it has to listen to the wishes of its patients and that the situation would be dealt with the same if it was about gender not race

She said: ‘It's outrageous that a medical facility would grant this request, especially on the heels of the battle against Hurley Medical Centre case, that there was a public outcry that a patient's request based on race would be granted.’

‘In my legal opinion, a patient can not request somebody to not work with them based on race. This is clearly illegal under federal law, I believe it's illegal under state law as well.’

The hospital was approached by TV5. Facility administrator Rick Cordonnier said: ‘We are protecting staff members from potential allegations.’

He said that they need to respect patient’s request for their care, and would treat the situation the same if they did not want someone of the opposite gender.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2377633/Fury-hospital-tells-African-American-staff-care-white-patient-requested-black-staff-touch-him.html#ixzz2a7k06cXU 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:52 AM
5 moms liked this

I think it's ignorant that the man didn't want these nurses to care for him, but if he acts that way, why would they even want to?  They should be happy they didn't have to put up with him. 

andersongirl562
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont agree with the man's request but it is his right to make that request.

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Ignorant asshole's but I do not see how to fix that.Other then to follow his wishes.I mean how do you make him allow them? 

OkieOBRN
by New Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:07 AM
7 moms liked this
This happens every day.. every where. Dementia patients mostly... and its easier and they are more relaxed when these requests are met. Some elderly without dementia are this way too. A person has the right to say who touches their body, provides thier care.

There are also requests for no males... no white people.. no fat people. This isnt a new problem.

I dont think its a problem. Healthcare employees are taught to be culturally sensitive... not to get offended.
denise3680
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM

To hell with him and all those that think like that:/  Let the chips fall where they may with him.  Who cares, he does not want their help then let him take care of himself.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:38 AM
5 moms liked this

What happened to his body - his choice?

elkmomma
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Sounds like someone is jealous of othersTV fame.  Race ignorance is just stupid across the board, but this one simply wants her 15min of fame.

My body my choice.  If I don't want a male or a wheelchair bound obgyn, that's my right of choice.

Naturewoman4
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I think the way the TM/GZ case went, I'm not surprised.  Obama added to this and race relations between black and whites are worse now.  So, I don't feel anyone should be upset over this man's reaction.  I believe that because of this case and what Obama has said, there will be more people that are now racist towards one another. 

kristen0812
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM
7 moms liked this
I commented on the last post on same topic and I will again.

When I was doing my clinicals I was kicked, hit and spit on for being white. I also had a Muslim patient throw me out for wearing a cross around my neck. When you're in nursing school you learn about the different cultures and are prepared for this to happen. My mom is also a nurse and where she once worked there was a patient who had a sign on the door that said "no white nurses allowed". Is there an article anywhere? NO.

These people are just feeding fuel to the racism fire and it needs to stop. Anyone who works in healthcare has been a victim of this. It is the patients right to refuse treatment from anyone they choose. They should not have taken offense. The majority of the patients who do this are demented.

These workers need to get a grip and stop trying to get 15 minutes of fame.
denise3680
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I think the way the TM/GZ case went, I'm not surprised.  Obama added to this and race relations between black and whites are worse now.  So, I don't feel anyone should be upset over this man's reaction.  I believe that because of this case and what Obama has said, there will be more people that are now racist towards one another. 

FFS, are you freaking serious with this response.  so your ass thinks that Obama is to blame for this asshat being a racists shit head?  What the hell is wrong with you?  Noone else is to blame for anyone else being a racist or bigot or anything, those are all decisions that are made by that person alone.  grow up, what happen to the whole platform of personal responsibility, you do realize that being a bigoted, one sided blind to any facts or logic racist is a personal decision, don't ya?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN