Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Woman’s 5-Christmas Jail Sentence Is Not Only Bizarre … It’s Cruel!

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:38 AM
  • 10 Replies

Woman’s 5-Christmas Jail Sentence Is Not Only Bizarre … It’s Cruel!

by April Daniels Hussar

Christmas treeI'm not sure who belongs on the naughty list here more! A judge in Ohio has ordered that a woman named Betina Young, who was convicted of a driver's licence scam involving illegal immigrants, spend the next five Christmases in jail. That's right -- only the three days or so surrounding December 25th, for the next five years. The rest of the time, she's free. Say what? How is that even legal?!

Now, I know what you're thinking...

This practically begs for a Scrooge joke! But honestly I can't think of anything funny to say about this. It's just plain cruel and unusual -- and it's not even as if the punishment fits the crime. I can see a sentence like this if, say, Young had been convicted of stealing money from Toys for Tots or something like that, but her crime (to which she pled guilty) had NOTHING to do with the December holiday. Young was accused of taking bribes to falsify DMV records so that illegal aliens (I hate that term, "alien"!) could get I.D. cards and driver's licenses.

Um, OK, so, this is wrong and illegal, but what does it have to do with Christmas?! It really seems like Judge Michael Holbrook is trying to send some kind of message with his weird punishment, but I can't figure out what the connection is. I wonder if it's personal somehow ... did an illegal immigrant destroy the judge's Christmas as a child, or what?!

When Young isn't missing Christmas dinner in prison, she'll be on probation, and if she misses her jail time or violates that probation, she faces 15 years in jail. Sure, I'd rather spend five Christmases jail than 15 entire YEARS, but that's a pretty horrible sentence, and I can't believe it's even legal that this judge could do something like that.

What do you think? Does the punishment fit the crime here?

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Doesn't our legal system have....something....somewhere....that makes illegal "cruel and unusual punishment"?

If you're going to jail her, jail her..what's the point of 5 Christmas'...?? confused

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, I think what she did should have a stiffer penalty.  By going to jail for 3 days a year, she'll be able to still hold down a job and spend time with her family all through the year.  Sure she'll miss the main Christmas holiday but they can plan their family celebration around her jail time.  If she was serving a regular sentence, she couldn't do all of that.  I think it's really lenient and she should be thanking the judge. 

angelachristine
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:35 AM

yeah I'm pretty sure the jail time possible for her crime is significantly more than what she got. I think she's lucky too.

Quoting 4kidz916:

Honestly, I think what she did should have a stiffer penalty.  By going to jail for 3 days a year, she'll be able to still hold down a job and spend time with her family all through the year.  Sure she'll miss the main Christmas holiday but they can plan their family celebration around her jail time.  If she was serving a regular sentence, she couldn't do all of that.  I think it's really lenient and she should be thanking the judge. 

IhaveHisjoy
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I agree.

Quoting angelachristine:

yeah I'm pretty sure the jail time possible for her crime is significantly more than what she got. I think she's lucky too.

Quoting 4kidz916:

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

The judge is very kind and very creative - I'd take the 5 Christmases in a heartbeat over 15 years in prison.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/07/22/BMV-scam-sentence-5-Christmases.html

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I don't get that people are saying this is cruel and unusual punishment.  Am I missing something?

Quoting SallyMJ:

The judge is very kind and very creative - I'd take the 5 Christmases in a heartbeat over 15 years in prison.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/07/22/BMV-scam-sentence-5-Christmases.html

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Check the post.

Quoting 4kidz916:

I don't get that people are saying this is cruel and unusual punishment.  Am I missing something?

Quoting SallyMJ:

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, I know what the post is saying...I just don't see how someone sees this as cruel punishment.  It sounds like she's getting a cake walk.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Check the post.

Quoting 4kidz916:

Quoting SallyMJ:

JanuaryBaby06
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

I agree.

Quoting angelachristine:

Quoting 4kidz916:

well said.
andersongirl562
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Its just christmas...they can celabrate it on a different day. She is lucky that is all she got.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)