Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

DNA eveidence appears to clear convict

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM
  • 3 Replies

This is an old case and it looks like he was telling the truth all along.  Are you ok that the State is capable of selling theories to jurors? 

New Murder Trial For Dewey Jones

Written by  Larry States

Rate this item
(0 votes)

After spending 18 years in prison for a murder he claims he didn't commit Dewey Jones of Akron will be getting a new trial. The Ninth District Court Of Appeals today upheld a lower court ruling granting Jones a new trial for the 1993 murder of Neil Rankin, a 71-year old Goodyear retiree. He was discovered shot inside his Independence Avenue home near Chapel Hill Mall on Valentine's Day.

In 2012 Summit County Common Pleas Judge Mary Margaret Rowlands ruled that the absence of Jones’ and another suspect Gary Rusu’s DNA on newly tested evidence “called io question the State’s entire theory of the case.”

Jones, 50, was convicted in 1995 for the murder. He has always claime he did not kill Rankin.

Tests revealed DNA taken from a rope used to tie Rankin's wrists, and a knife found at the scene, do not match Jones.

News Release From Attorney Carrie Wood of The Ohio Innocence Project

Statement of Attorney for Dewey Jones on the Ninth District Court of Appeals’ Decision Upholding the Trial Court's Decision to Grant Dewey Jones a New Trial

“We are pleased that the Ninth District Court of Appeals affirmed the decision of the trial court to grant Dewey Jones’ a new trial. Mr. Jones has spent more than 18 years in prison for a murder he did not commit. In 2012, the trial court held that the DNA test results 'call[ed] into question the State's entire theory of the case' and 'undermine[d] the testimony of the State's witness, Willie Caton' because '[t]he DNA does not support, and in some instances, works directly against, the testimony of Mr. Caton.' The Ninth District Court of Appeals agreed, stating that the 'only testimony at trial that directly implicated Mr. Jones in the murder came from William Grant Caton' and both DNA test results and ballistic results 'bear on the reliability of Mr. Caton's testimony...'. Informant or "snitch" testimony, like Caton's, has played a role in approximately 15% of the now more than 300 people exonerated by DNA testing in the United States.

DNA test results are just one piece of evidence that demonstrates Dewey Jones' innocence. Whether DNA test results produce an exoneration or a new trial, today's decision affirms the importance of DNA testing's role in demonstrating innocence.”

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
imagirlgeek
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

This stuff makes me so sick to my stomach.  I can't imagine being jailed knowing that I didn't commit the crime I was convicted of.  The people this happens to have had everything taken from them, and it's horrible.

My husband went to school with Anthony Graves, another guy who was recently exonerated after 18 years on death row.  I just don't know how a person recovers from this.  Very sad.  

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

gludwig2000
by Gina on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:04 PM

There is nothing worse then hearing that someone has had years of their lives taken away from them over a false conviction and I believe that our courts need to look at all of the murder cases before the advent of DNA technology and reexamine the convictions to see how many innocent people are possibly in prison.

JanuaryBaby06
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:23 PM

this is so scary. i cant imagine. if he is innocent i really hope he gets out. not only that he should be hooked up with a job and get given a nice little nest egg. i mean really the state would owe him that for stealing his life, his future all to "pay" for a crime that he did not commit..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)