Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rush Limbaugh And Sean Hannity Booted From Airwaves By Second Largest Radio Broadcaster In The Country

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:12 AM
  • 9 Replies
Won’t it be truly wonderful to turn on the radio in the morning knowing that Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity won't be on the air? Image by Rick Diamond  @ NYDailyNews

Won’t it be truly wonderful to turn on the radio in the morning knowing that Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity won’t be on the air? Image by Rick Diamond @ NYDailyNews

Are you tired of Rush Limbaugh? Do you hate Sean Hannity? Well, get ready to hear much less from them on the radio. According to Politico, a source has disclosed that Cumulus Media, the second largest radio distributor in America, has declined to renew the contracts of both right-wing radio personalities. In other words, Cumulus will kick the pair to the curb and yank their shows off the airwaves they control by the end of the year.

Apparently the decision came down after negotiations between Clear Channel and Cumulus broke down. It seems Clear Channel asked for way too much money from Cumulus for the distribution rights to the two programs. Now Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity will be dropped by Cumulus and its 40 channels in several major markets.

With over 2,700 sponsors removing their ads from Limbaugh’s show and the millions of dollars it has cost, it was only a matter of time before a major radio distributor dropped the program in favor of a show that isn’t overwhelmingly boycotted. Perhaps the high asking price of Clear Channel gave Cumulus the excuse to finally drop him, although it should have done it much sooner. But hey, better late than never, right?

Limbaugh has been under fire since referring to Sandra Fluke as a “slut” for testifying in defense of contraception on Capitol Hill in the spring of 2012. Because of his many outrageous comments over the years, a boycott was instituted and it has devastated the revenue stream usually flowing from sponsors. The mass exodus of sponsors has left commercial time during Limbaugh’s show as dead air. In May, Cumulus CEO Lew Dickey reported a $2.4 million loss during the first quarter and insinuated that Limbaugh’s antics were to blame. Clear Channel alone has lost hundreds of millions of dollars because of sponsorship woes. In fact, 80 percent of sponsors specifically exclude Limbaugh when buying air time. That’s a lot of lost revenue.

This is just more bad news for Rush Limbaugh in July. Earlier this month, a woman started a petition calling for the removal of Limbaugh’s bust from the Missouri State Capitol. He’s also been taken to task for using the N-word on the air. Combined that with the loss of sponsors and money and Limbaugh can’t be very happy.

Cumulus is also dropping Sean Hannity, although the move won’t hurt him nearly as much, since he’s got his own nationally televised show on Fox News. It’s too bad Cumulus can’t drop Fox from television. Nevertheless, the dropping of Hannity removes just one more hateful source of misinformation from a good chunk of American media markets.

Now that Limbaugh and Hannity are disappearing from the airwaves, perhaps it’s only a matter of time before both men lose their shows entirely. At the very least it could spell the end of Rush Limbaugh because he only has one radio show that is losing more money than it takes in. And when it comes to money, business will always choose profit, regardless of where political allegiances lie. But you have to admit, it will be truly wonderful to turn on the radio in the morning in many places knowing that Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity won’t be on the air. The silence should be absolutely golden.

Want to help take Rush Limbaugh off the air permanently and make him pay for his hate, sexism, and racism? There are several ways:

You can sign this Limbaugh Sponsor Petition.

You can visit the Stop Rush Database.

And you can email the FCC.

Read more: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/07/29/rush-limbaugh-and-sean-hannity-booted-from-airwaves-by-second-largest-radio-broadcaster-in-the-country/#ixzz2abK22rkw

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:40 AM
3 moms liked this

If only, we didn't educate the last poster on this, I would do it again. 

scarygirl
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:21 AM
2 moms liked this
This article doesn't mention that for every advertiser lost, one was gained. I really don't think that Rush or Hannity will suffer much, especially in the age of satalite (sp?) Radio. I imagaine that Rush would retire while laughing all the way to the bank OR go the way of Glenn Beck and start his own station.

I am a talk show junkie & Personally, IDC for extreme left or right radio programs. Though it is interesting to listen to the spin both sides put on the situations and politics. My radio station dropped Lou Dobbs who is independant and made more sense than either "side"
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:21 PM
2 moms liked this

For right now anybody can choose which station to listen to,what show,what music.  Why is it such a "victory"to have them "booted" off Cumulus?  So,I will listen to both on any other station,just like I listen to Glennbeck on his OWN station.

Pema_Jampa
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL educate. You girls are a hoot.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:50 PM
3 moms liked this

Surprise, surprise - It's the Celestial Show!!!  

Ha ha ha.

Hey - have you ever heard of business contracts?  Either party has the right to end a contract - and Limbaugh talked of leaving 6 months ago, as you know.

These two guys are radio gold - top two in the country, very lucrative for business - and will be picked up by somebody else. Do you seriously think Cumulus is Limbaugh's or Hannity's first or only syndicator in the past 25 years?

It's called business. The change in syndicator will be invisible to listeners, as it always is - and the show will go on -  as it has for 25 years whenever they have changed.

And Limbaugh and Hannity will continue their command of the airwaves...SORRY.

Why don't you focus on actual news - rather than speculation and innuendo? 

eye rolling

numbr1wmn
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:05 PM
3 moms liked this

WHo cares.  Liberals continue to try to shut conservatives up.  They will have PLENTY of other sponsors to replace those who lose.  This post is plain silly

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting numbr1wmn:

WHo cares.  Liberals continue to try to shut conservatives up.  They will have PLENTY of other sponsors to replace those who lose.  This post is plain silly

rEally.  I do not like Maddow or scultz,but they are on MSNBC and I don't laugh at them bc they have like 3 viewers.

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:48 PM
2 moms liked this

Limbaugh is way above these people!

They are doing him a favor!

Dream on.....

Limbaugh: Don't worry about Cumulus

By DYLAN BYERS and BREANNA EDWARDS |
7/29/13 1:04 PM EDT

Rush Limbaugh has responded to POLITICO's report about negotiations with Cumulus Media by telling listeners not to worry and hinting that a move away from the broadcaster could mean wider reach for his program on Clear Channel and other syndicators.

"You are gonna be able to get this radio program on as many, if not more, radio stations down the road than it's on now, and what you're being treated to is just a public business negotiation," Limbaugh said on today's program.

"I am totally confident that they will put Rush and Sean on equal if not better stations on the markets where they have stations -- and in places where they don't have a station they will have other radio companies that are chomping at the bit to get them," Michael Harrison of industry trade Talkers Magazine told POLITICO.

Harrison also cautioned against interpreting Cumulus's decision as a political one and criticized liberal groups who thought this sounded the death knell for Limbaugh and Hannity, the two most powerful talk radio hosts in the country.

"This is a financial decision. It's not political," he said. "Everybody might be better off for it. Limbaugh and Hannity are better off with companies that are happy to have them and sell them the way they should be sold; Cumulus will be happy to take its own position and find a course more compatible to its business model."

On Monday's program, Limbaugh said that while he'd love to discuss the ongoing negotiations, he would issue "proper business restraint."

"There was another POLITICO story that ran last night on this program and the radio stations that it is on, and is going to be on, in the future. And someday, someday I am looking so forward to being able to detail all of this for you, but suffice to say nothing is gonna happen that you will notice. Nothing is going to change," he said.

"You are gonna be able to get this radio program on as many, if not more, radio stations down the road than it's on now, and what you're being treated to is just a public business negotiation," he continued. "Negotiations have been taken public by one side of this. I thought it was done. I thought it was over with. And folks, I would love... I mean, I love inside baseball stuff, and I would love to pass this on, but I must use proper business restraint here."

"But I just want to assure you, everything's cool, and as always, what's on the table for this program is growth," he said."

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SallyMJ:

Surprise, surprise - It's the Celestial Show!!!  

Ha ha ha.

Hey - have you ever heard of business contracts?  Either party has the right to end a contract - and Limbaugh talked of leaving 6 months ago, as you know.

These two guys are radio gold - top two in the country, very lucrative for business - and will be picked up by somebody else. Do you seriously think Cumulus is Limbaugh's or Hannity's first or only syndicator in the past 25 years?

It's called business. The change in syndicator will be invisible to listeners, as it always is - and the show will go on -  as it has for 25 years whenever they have changed.

And Limbaugh and Hannity will continue their command of the airwaves...SORRY.

Why don't you focus on actual news - rather than speculation and innuendo? 

eye rolling

Remember, liberals don't have anything worthwhile to talk about...

That's all they have..................

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)