Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GOP Proposals ‘Would Earn Failing Grades’ In Econ 101, Professors Say

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:22 AM
  • 8 Replies

GOP Proposals ‘Would Earn Failing Grades’ In Econ 101, Professors Say

BY TRAVIS WALDRON

The economy, understandably, has been the most widely discussed topic in the Republican party’s presidential campaign, with candidates proposing various tax plans, deficit reduction proposals, and ideas they say will help put Americans back to work. Many of those plans, like Herman Cain’s 999 tax plan and Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s flat tax proposal, have been widely panned by economic analysts. Other ideas, like Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann’s pledge to return gas to $2 a gallon and Texas Rep. Ron Paul’s ubiquitous calls to return to the gold standard, have been laughed off as unserious ways to address economic problems.

It turns out, however, that forcing poor and middle-class Americans to pay the price of deficit reduction while pushing huge tax cuts for the rich aren’t just bad policies for major party presidential candidates to put forward — they’d be failing proposals even from 18-year-old college students. According to professors surveyed by CNN Money, the GOP proposals are so bad, theywouldn’t even pass an Economics 101 class:

Stephen Golub, who is teaching Econ 101 at Swarthmore College this semester, said some of the ideas floated by Presidential candidates would earn a failing grade in his class.

I think it’s grossly irresponsible what they are saying,” Golub said. “It’s not about economics. It’s about getting elected. They are promising things that are impossible to deliver or make little sense.” [...]

Another professor who teaches at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Michael Salemi, was able to identify statements from six candidates that “would earn failing grades in my Econ 101 class.” [...]

Bernard Salanie, an economics professor at Columbia University, said Perry’s simplified tax form just won’t cut it.

“It is a bit depressing to again hear the argument that we will be well on the road to recovery once our tax returns fit on a postcard,” Salanie said.

Econ professors aren’t the only ones giving failing grades to the GOP’s economic proposals. Republicans, including Mitt Romney, have continually pushed for a Balanced Budget Amendment, an idea former Reagan economist Bruce Bartlett said looked “like it was drafted by a couple of interns on the back of a napkin.” Meanwhile, the American people also gave Republicans failing marks, blaming the GOP for intentionally sabotaging the economy to hurt President Obama politically.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:01 AM
Quoting -Celestial-:

Meanwhile, the American people also gave Republicans failing marks, blaming the GOP for intentionally sabotaging the economy to hurt President Obama politically.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Bogus. These TWO economics professors don't give any economic reasons why they think the statements are wrong - They say they don't agree with them politically. Oops.

So why do you think most economists are conservatives?  And think liberal ideas are not economically sound? Hmmm?

miss_maya
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Precisely.  Not a very strong argument.  Anyone can say, "look, this expert agrees with me and disagrees with you, therefore I'm right!"  It doesn't mean there aren't experts out there who agree with the alternative.  Economics isn't necessarily an exact science.  There are several expert economists who disagree with each other.  And depending on who the professor is and which school of economics they belong to, these "experts" referenced in the article could get a failing grade, too.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Bogus. These TWO economics professors don't give any economic reasons why they think the statements are wrong - They say they don't agree with them politically. Oops.

So why do you think most economists are conservatives?  And think liberal ideas are not economically sound? Hmmm?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM

And "Swarthmore College?" One of the most well known in America, no doubt. 

Quoting miss_maya:

Precisely.  Not a very strong argument.  Anyone can say, "look, this expert agrees with me and disagrees with you, therefore I'm right!"  It doesn't mean there aren't experts out there who agree with the alternative.  Economics isn't necessarily an exact science.  There are several expert economists who disagree with each other.  And depending on who the professor is and which school of economics they belong to, these "experts" referenced in the article could get a failing grade, too.

Quoting SallyMJ:

JanuaryBaby06
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:29 PM

good article. i agree.

grandmab125
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:26 PM

LOL.  A hot bed of 1,500+ elitist kids.  I'm sure they attract the smartest professors there.

Quoting SallyMJ:

And "Swarthmore College?" One of the most well known in America, no doubt. 

Quoting miss_maya:

Quoting SallyMJ:

grandma B

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I don't really think Obama's economics are passing with flying colors either. 

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Stephen Golub, who is teaching Econ 101 at Swarthmore College that explains it all
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)